Crafting in RPG's

Ah, yes, thanks for the reminder. :)

Just thought of another 'crafting' system - Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams. Obviously very old school and very basic! However, I remember that you could get a shotgun, but to fire it you had to collect the components for black powder. I think there were a few other weapons you needed to assemble as well.

Holy cow, I had forgotten all about Martian Dreams. Very cool, very steampunk even before steampunk was popular.

But I believe you're thinking of Savage Empire's crafting system. That's the main thing I loved about that game because the magic sucked big time. Can't remember how many spells they had, but it wasn't many. Although the ingredients for the spells were unique to the Ultima Universe like cocoa and some others. IIRC you had to use skulls to cast spells. Don't really remember that part too clearly, but I do remember making gunpowder which was used for the rifle you made or for grenades.

Would love for Exult to redo those games. A larger resolution would do wonders for those games.

speaking of steampunk Arcanum had an interesting crafting system as well that often involved pulling things out of trash cans to make something you needed.

Also a great game and also loved the crafting system. A lot of people complained about having to have carry around or store so many components, but I didn't mind. Being a pack rat myself I had no problems finding a few safe places to store the stuff until I had a use for it.

Inventor/gun slinger is still my favorite character to play in Arcanum.

Holy cow, I had forgotten all about Martian Dreams. Very cool, very steampunk even before steampunk was popular.

But I believe you're thinking of Savage Empire's crafting system. That's the main thing I loved about that game because the magic sucked big time. Can't remember how many spells they had, but it wasn't many. Although the ingredients for the spells were unique to the Ultima Universe like cocoa and some others. IIRC you had to use skulls to cast spells. Don't really remember that part too clearly, but I do remember making gunpowder which was used for the rifle you made or for grenades.

Would love for Exult to redo those games. A larger resolution would do wonders for those games.

That's right, it was Savage Empire. There was a shotgun in Martian Dreams, but I guess you didn't have to make your own ammo!

There was a project out there, Nuvie IIRC, to redo the engine with the original data files. I believe it died though. Too bad. With new engine, replacing the tilesets would have been pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom