Pillars of Eternity - The White March Expansion

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian announced the first expansion for Pillars of Eternity today at E3.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a05OrRrR2Q

“The White March: Part 1,” will extend the story and experience of Pillars of Eternity, as well as adding a higher level cap, new abilities, new companions, and more to the game. The expansion, originally offered as a pledge add-on during the game’s incredibly successful crowdfunding campaign, was revealed by Obsidian and Paradox at E3, and will be coming soon for Windows, Max, and Linux PC.

“Fans’ response to Pillars of Eternity has been incredible,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO ofObsidian Entertainment. “We knew, when we started work on the game following our crowdfunding campaign, that we had the potential to create the kind of game we’d wanted to see again for a long time. Evidently, we weren’t alone in that. With The White March, we’re going to ensure that we live up to the praise we’ve received and the faith our fans have placed in us.”

“Our partnership with Obsidian couldn’t have started on a higher note than with Pillars of Eternity,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “It was clear to us, from the beginning, that Obsidian had a deep connection to their fans, and with the tremendous success of Pillars of Eternity, there’s no doubt in our mind that they understand what players want from an RPG. We’re looking forward to working with their team for a long time to come.”

Last edited:
All I can say is this has been a good week for gaming news.:w00t:

All I can say is this has been a good week for gaming news.:w00t:

I am not sure how this is good news?

I was hoping they took what they had done and worked hard on giving us a game that didn't fizzled out in the last third of the game. POE though I really did enjoy it for the first 1/3, liked it the middle 1/3 the last 1/3 was boring or not even worth playing unless you are like me and have to finish what you started.

It seemed to me like a beta test game and was hoping they would have a full second game coming out fast not an expansion pack.

Sort of like BG was good but BG2 was great.

Really does everyone have to be downer on this website 24/7. Just once you guys let me be excited for a few minutes before reality sets in once again.:lol:

Anyway to answer your question why I'm excited a lot of good games have been announced these last two days at E3. I'm glad I play other games beside RPGs.

Really does everyone have to be downer on this website.:disappointed:

Let me be excited for a few minutes before reality sets in CelticFrost.:lol:

Couch!!!!!!!!

I am not being a downer at all.

When I first played the game I was in love but by the end I wanted to just finish it.

Load times were bad and I am being nice by saying that.

The story kept getting weaker as it went along.

I played it from day one so I dealt with all the other problems with the game with barely a complaint.

It just felt like they were on the brink of bring us something great and this was their test game.

That's all I don't want an expansion game from them. I want a second full game and I am not sure how that is being a downer.

I'm just joking around CelticFrost relax.:biggrin:

Though I do agree about the pacing. As the first two acts were solid, but Act III felt rushed in comparison. Maybe Obsidian ran out of funding, or time to add more content?

Still I loved the game regardless of it's shortcomings.

I'm just joking around CelticFrost relax.:biggrin:

Though I do agree about the pacing. As the first two acts were solid, but Act III felt rushed in comparison. Maybe Obsidian ran out of funding, or time to add more content?

Still I loved the game regardless of it's shortcomings.

Not sure you were joking,there is some truth to what you said and I don't blame you at all. There is some grounds to that statement.

I don't think they ran out of funds, though I have no clue about their books. I just think with any KickStarter project you have a ton of pressure to please your fans.

I just don't think it was an where close to a finished product.

Maybe I should say I don't think it was the finished product they wanted.

Maybe I should say I don't think it was the finished product they wanted.
Your probably right and that might be one reason why Chris Avellone left.:thinking:

I just read an article on Eurogamer today about why Obsidian didn't develop the next South Park RPG game, and it looks like their biggest game is Armored Warfare.
"As you probably know," Urquhart told me, "we are working on a bunch of stuff right now and, internally, are coming close to 200 people working on games.

"Armored Warfare [tank MMO] is looking great, hitting more than 15K simultaneous people playing it last week; [the Pillars of] Eternity [Expansion] has a ton of cool new things; and we'll have a couple of fun things to announce in the next few months."

The Pillars of Eternity expansion we expect to hear more about this week at E3 - today, we hope. Armored Warfare is the bread winner at Obsidian as it stands - an unusual free-to-play machine-based MMO departure for the studio bankrolled by Russian company My.com.
Hopefully the Pillar expansions improve the game, and they announce the sequel.

Couch,

Not sure if you have lived through the world of gaming and computers like myself.

I forgot what passion I had for computers and games back in the 80's until I watched Halt and catch fire last week.

It might explain to you why some of us are grumpy and why a lot of don't understand why we can't get a finished product.

I had forgotten how deep I was 20 plus years ago into the computing world and what a lot of us thought it could be.

I think a lot of companies have gotten lazy, bored and rehashed in a worst way what has been done. Code use to have to be tight, very tight. Games use to have to work, the net was no place for n00bs never mind where companies could use us to test their games.

Back to the subject at hand, it could be why he left. It also could be why so many never finished the game.

Passion for what we have always loved should never be met by people saying we expected to much. There was a time when passion showed us what could be done.

Couch,

Not sure if you have lived through the world of gaming and computers like myself.

I forgot what passion I had for computers and games back in the 80's until I watched Halt and catch fire last week.

It might explain to you why some of us are grumpy and why a lot of don't understand why we can't get a finished product.

Sorry to say I didn't start desktop gaming till the late 1990's. I was mostly a console gamer for most of my youth so I really dont get the attitude of older PC gamers.

That's either a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. It also wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with members about how older RPG games are not better.

Frankly don't know why I'm being so talkative today. Sorry If I'm bothering you.:)

Last edited:
Sorry to say I didn't start desktop gaming till the late 1990's. I was mostly a console gamer for most of my youth so I really dont get the attitude of older PC gamers.:)

I don't think it is an attitude. I think it is more how the heck do I say this.

It is more the fact companies have everything now and a lot of the times release things that are so sub par.

I wrote a program for my father on a C-64 in 85 that was around 1500 lines of code that could do almost the same as any spread sheet could now for the 80 plus stores he ran.

Sure there was no graphics or charts or graphs but it did the job. Now we have delays, bugs etc. on almost everything.

My sister has a copy of a hand book I wrote on how to use the internet back in 1990 or 1991. It was on the college servers I went to plus ever computer sold by a local computer store back then.(48 pages).

It was exciting, now it is depressing but it isn't that exciting any more. Sloppy at best I guess would be a way of summing it up.

Wow, I'm shocked they didn't crowdfund this.

Pretty amazing news. This is likely a day one buy for me, and I don't do that anymore.

"Part 1"? So this is going to be episodic? :-/
Yes Obsidian decided to release the expansion in two parts.
"We've always been planning to do an expansion and the way we're really looking at it is that it needs to be a meaty expansion," Urquhart explained. "It needs to be this old-school expansion, not some DLC that's two or three hours of gameplay. What it looks like we're going to do, because this kind of expansion can take a while, we're going to split the expansion into two parts. It's going to be one full story that will go from part one to part two, but it's going to be two parts and anyone from Kickstarter that contributed will get both parts. They'll get the full expansion, but the best part is that they'll be able to play it early. We should have an announcement coming up soon."

To be fair, they have confirmed that both parts of the expansion will be included for KS backers who preordered it as an add-on or got it as part of their pledge level. They sold the expansion as an add-on for $20.
BUT it will definitely be interesting to see which price they will be selling it at for everyone else and how long or "meaty" each part really is.

Pillars of Eternity - First addon announced

Obsidian announced the first expansion for Pillars of Eternity todat at E3.

“The White March: Part 1,” will extend the story and experience of Pillars of Eternity, as well as adding a higher level cap, new abilities, new companions, and more to the game. The expansion, originally offered as a pledge add-on during the game’s incredibly successful crowdfunding campaign, was revealed by Obsidian and Paradox at E3, and will be coming soon for Windows, Max, and Linux PC.

“Fans’ response to Pillars of Eternity has been incredible,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO ofObsidian Entertainment. “We knew, when we started work on the game following our crowdfunding campaign, that we had the potential to create the kind of game we’d wanted to see again for a long time. Evidently, we weren’t alone in that. With The White March, we’re going to ensure that we live up to the praise we’ve received and the faith our fans have placed in us.”

“Our partnership with Obsidian couldn’t have started on a higher note than with Pillars of Eternity,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “It was clear to us, from the beginning, that Obsidian had a deep connection to their fans, and with the tremendous success of Pillars of Eternity, there’s no doubt in our mind that they understand what players want from an RPG. We’re looking forward to working with their team for a long time to come.”
Thanks Couch!

More information.

So, does this means that they will fix the base game (especially some quests, reported over and over).

Well, I'm surprised that I've felt no desire to get back to this after dropping it months ago. I really enjoyed it in the beginning - but as soon as I figured out how the mechanics worked, I just lost all interest in progressing.

If they do some serious work on that part of the game, I might get back to it.

But I'm much more likely to go back and replay Baldur's Gate - as I prefer the DnD mechanics, where progression feels rewarding and combat is varied.

As for this expansion, I think it's a bit much dividing it into parts. Smells like opportunism at its worst.

Beautiful engine and effects, excellent Kickstarter game development finish(!), but gameplay wise the game collapsed for me in the first Act, begin Act II. Utterly boring, I had to abandon it for Valkyria Chronicles: Finished, Blackguards 1 finished and now Blackguards II I'm at 50%.

Finishing a game says everything!!!

Back
Top Bottom