Steam Music Player

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
I go long periods forgetting about this wonderful gem. If you have a game installed on your pc, then Steam will likely have a copy of the in-game music for you to listen to; even if you're not gaming. I've been listening to the soundtrack from Divine Divinity while reading a book and it's a wonderful background. Many of my early access survival games have horrible music, so it's nice to throw in Fallout 3 or 4 or maybe No Man's Sky stuff when I'm gaming in those.

This post is a public service announcement to remind other forgetful folks of a massive music library at your fingertips. Somebody like @HiddenX; has gigs of music at his fingertips thanks to his game library.

This post is a public service announcement to remind other forgetful folks of a massive music library at your fingertips. ...

And to inform ignorant folks (like me) that didn't know about this feature at all. Thanks.

a pibbur who found the player (eventually), but has yet to get it to work.

I don't keep games installed so it's a pretty much useless feature to me.

And to inform ignorant folks (like me) that didn't know about this feature at all. Thanks.

a pibbur who found the player (eventually), but has yet to get it to work.

I've found it doesn't work on every game, but I have Divine Divinity, Divinity 2, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 as full soundtracks. Other games will have a handful of tracks that work and others don't work at all. I know in the past I had all the Skyrim stuff working, but it doesn't now. I haven't messed with it too much yet.

Mine had gone all crazy. Re-scanned and now it works.

I've actually been pulling music (OGG and MP3) out of games for a few years. Then it stopped dead because publishers figured out that they could charge $10 for the music. <sigh>

Saw it being there at all only a few days ago while browsing through all existing steam options.

I still can't see, however, what music pieces are actually there, since it didn't display me a list of songs or whatever (which I have expected from a music player, like a track listing).

I still want to beat myself for not getting that version of the last Bard's Tale game that has the physical music CD ... I only have it digitally, because I didn't see the physical CD version back then, and having digitally is not something I want. (You know, "digital stuff" is like dust to me. A CD lasts probably longer than some servers ...)

So burn it to a CD, @Alrik Fassbauer;! Though, there's a thing. It isn't just one CD now, it's three! It seems that, even when you do pay extra, you don't necessarily get the whole set.

For the music list, you need to go to Settings and tell it where your music is. For Steam stuff, it will only play music that you've bought. You can point it at other directories, though, and it will play those as well. (I know it plays at least MP3 and OGG files.)

Back
Top Bottom