Solasta - New Studio Talyon - New Game

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new game studio called Talyon will develop a new game in the Solasta universe:

TACTICAL ADVENTURES ANNOUNCES NEW VIDEOGAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO TALYON

Talyon Opens its Doors in Lyon, France to Develop a New Game Set in the Solasta: Crown of the Magister Universe

French Independent videogame developer Tactical Adventures is proud to announce studio expansion through the creation of a new subsidiary development team, Talyon, a new studio based in Lyon, France.

Lead by Julien Millet, Talyon's first project is to build a team of developers for its first game, a new tactical RPG set in the same universe as Tactical Adventures first game, Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

With over 19 years of experience in the videogame industry with renowned studios (Quantic Dream, Eugen Systems, Wizardbox...), Julien Millet fully masters the production process thanks to his artistic, creative, and technical skills.

Julien joined forces with the talented and passionate team at Tactical Adventures in 2019 to help develop its first tactical RPG Solasta: Crown of the Magister, where he actively contributed to the game development, specifically working on narrative and level design aspects.

The Talyon team currently consists of two additional developers who also worked on Solasta: Crown of the Magister, and are actively recruiting more passionate and talented staff to join their studio based in Lyon, France.

"A beautiful journey lies ahead of us," said Julien Millet. "This new studio will take the Solasta universe to uncharted territories that we are eager to develop."

"It has been almost two years since we started working with Julien and his team, and their contribution to the development of Solasta has been crucial," said Mathieu Girard, Founder, CEO and Creative Director of Tactical Adventures. "It's a privilege to be able to create this new studio with them, and to keep expanding the Solasta universe together!"

Solasta: Crown of the Magister released Steam version 1.0 on May 27 and has seen positive user reviews on all platforms the game is sold on including, Steam, GOG, Gamesplanet, Humble Store and the Microsoft Store, Xbox Game Pass for PC catalogue.

Tactical Adventures wishes to expand upon the Solasta universe creating a rich and unforgettable tactical RPG with the new project that Talyon is developing. Talyon will benefit from the technical innovations that helped define the genre and success of Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

[...]
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

That was fast. I guess they're pretty confident about the success of Solasta.

They don't say much about the new title though or what type of game it's going to be.

*Edit* Ok, I misread the last paragraph the first time. It's obviously another tactical RPG. I wonder why they're not just developing it themselves.

Good for them. I guess Solasta had decent sales to fund the expansion.

What "universe"? Isn't it D&D rules in a generic D&D fantasy world?

The world isn't that generic. They built something. A history, factions, politics. There is stuff to build on and it's cool they decide to not start from scratch again and expand on what they have been working on.

Hopefully, they will keep building on Solasta engine and for the next game, concentrate on a better story, more contents and more non linear options.

It's modified D&D rules. I personally love how they put it together, especially considering the team size. The fact that people are so fixated on minor flaws just shows how spoiled we've all become. That said, why the hell can't I set a watch at my campfire!?

*Edit* Ok, I misread the last paragraph the first time. It's obviously another tactical RPG. I wonder why they're not just developing it themselves.
I think because they're too small, they already said in their "What's next" that they wouldn't be able to continue fixing bugs because they were working on the sorcerer class. They'll be busy some time with Solasta: CotM so they are hiring new devs for the other project (artist lead, … in the job offer on top of the 3 who will move there apparently)

This Solasta universe, indeed it's not a D&D setting, I suppose they invested a bit on it and don't want to drop it soon. And it would surely separate the products too much.

Other bits on the Kickstarter page
Lore Updates:

Hopefully, they will keep building on Solasta engine and for the next game, concentrate on a better story, more contents and more non linear options.
That's what I understand from their announce for the Solasta engine, "Talyon will benefit from the technical innovations". For the story, it doesn't look that way. Maybe that's why they named their company like that (or maybe it's a reference to Gygax's company TSR ;))

Last edited:
I was hoping they'd make some more adventure modules for Solasta rather than other games - there's a bunch of unused skills and the like in Solasta which are begging for additional expansions/campaigns/add-ons

It's modified D&D rules. I personally love how they put it together, especially considering the team size. The fact that people are so fixated on minor flaws just shows how spoiled we've all become.
Yes, though it's more an adaptation to video game format than a modification, we have yet to see a video game that doesn't do that. It's just necessary and I agree with you, it's very well done. I liked the early ideas they had on light and I'm not sure it would have been so "out of the rules" - after all, the DM can give some flexibility depending on the situation. But they backtracked anyway.

Maybe you're seen them, they put the differences here, although a few are missing like rolls on scribing scrolls, and the mechanics of stealth/hidden when attacking. It's not much, and the additions like archetypes and spells are not really modifications, they're the same add-ons everyone has been doing with D&D since the OGL allowed it. So it's very, very light.

The fact it's SRD and not full D&D is probably the most noticeable, not only the settings but the archetypes, feats, spells and so on.
That said, why the hell can't I set a watch at my campfire!?
:lol:

Last edited:
I was hoping they'd make some more adventure modules for Solasta rather than other games - there's a bunch of unused skills and the like in Solasta which are begging for additional expansions/campaigns/add-ons

To the contrary, perhaps this news is announcing just that. They start a new studio to begin working on a new game while the current one keep working / improving Solasta :)

I think because they're too small, they already said in their "What's next" that they wouldn't be able to continue fixing bugs because they were working on the sorcerer class. They'll be busy some time with Solasta: CotM so they are hiring new devs for the other project (artist lead, … in the job offer on top of the 3 who will move there apparently)

What's the ETA on the Sorcerer? I'm already waiting while they tweak the game. If the Sorcerer isn't too far off, I might wait for that too.

To the contrary, perhaps this news is announcing just that. They start a new studio to begin working on a new game while the current one keep working / improving Solasta :)

Perhaps. I hope that is the case because Solasta has so much potential for new content. Any DLC for Solasta would be an instant buy for me.

This is good news. It was my hope when TOEE released that we’d see several game in the engine but it never quite materialized. So I’m glad to see it may happen with Solasta.

On a side note I ordered physical goodies in the kickstarter and haven’t received or heard anything about it. ( TBH I haven’t put much effort in to it either) Anyone else order physical stuff and know anything about it?

Back
Top Bottom