The Outer Worlds - Murder on Eridanos: Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Outer Worlds - Murder on Eridanos: Review

Default The Outer Worlds - Murder on Eridanos: Review

March 18th, 2021, 21:41
IGN Middle East has reviewed the DLC Murder on Eridanos:

The Outer Worlds: Murder on Eridanos DLC - Review

Sci-fi P.I.

Obsidian has leaned hard into turning The Outer Worlds into a sci-fi detective game with its two DLC expansions - a direction that plays to the strengths of its characters and writing. That's smart, considering the combat has pretty much fully run out of gas by this point. The second and final one, Murder on Eridanos, is a more intimate and local whodunnit that has you following a trail of clues around a series of colorful floating islands to interview weird suspects and hold up a high-tech magnifying glass to highlight clues. It's not a grand sendoff for this upstart RPG, but it's another good chunk of time spent in its universe.
After a brief setup in which the star of an in-universe TV show is murdered, you're handed a badge and sent off to be an impartial investigator. I only wish we'd gotten to see or at least hear more of these noir-ish Halcyon Helen serials, since the small taste we do see is tons of fun and right up the alley of The Outer Worlds' dark humor.

[…]

The Verdict

The final expansion to Obsidian's original sci-fi RPG is a low-key but intriguing finale. The Outer Worlds: Murder on Eridanos puts us into a traditionally structured murder mystery with a few good turns to investigate across one of its weirdest planets yet. It doesn't revive the stale combat but it does give us a good reason to come back to the crew of the Unreliable to solve one last case.
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

March 19th, 2021, 09:07
I have a feeling base game is hitting Humble Choice soon.

Rahdulan

Irregular Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 19th, 2021, 11:56
And finally they released a patch for who overwrote to their point of no return save like me. Now if you have an endgame save and download the DLCs the game gives you an option to return to your ship and play the DLCs. It took them 6 months to find that solution but better later than never, right?

Anyway, here are the patch notes if you're interested:

https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/en/…-release-notes
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 6th, 2021, 19:09
Since this news never made the front-page here you go.

Microsoft Now Has Full Control of The Outer Worlds - The Gamer
Microsoft has full control over The Outer Worlds and will act as the official publisher of any "future iterations" according to a recent statement by Private Division.

The statement was released following some confusion regarding who owns the publishing rights for the game. Take-Two Interactive, who own Private Division, the publishers of the original release of the game before Obsidian was purchased by Microsoft, had an earnings call where they mentioned that The Outer Worlds had sold over 3 million units.

--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

June 7th, 2021, 18:16
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Since this news never made the front-page here you go.

Microsoft Now Has Full Control of The Outer Worlds - The Gamer

This was not really surprising, rumor has it they are going to announce part 2 at E3….hopefully with a much bigger budget.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 7th, 2021, 18:53
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
This was not really surprising, rumor has it they are going to announce part 2 at E3….hopefully with a much bigger budget.
I'll be surprised if that turns out to be true. I don't think Obsidian has the staff to work on two AAA titles simultaneously.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

June 7th, 2021, 19:31
Not too surprised at this news. I am more looking forward to Avowed and saw Couch posted a little update on it in another thread. I still have to complete the new DLC's for Outer Worlds … been sitting on my PC waiting.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

June 7th, 2021, 21:02
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'll be surprised if that turns out to be true. I don't think Obsidian has the staff to work on two AAA titles simultaneously.
They do now….apparently they have 100 working on avowed and 2 other teams on two other games. I guess the effect of MS money now.
--

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 7th, 2021, 21:15
They do now….apparently they have 100 working on avowed and 2 other teams on two other games. I guess the effect of MS money now.
Yeah, I guess I should have checked before I said that. That's a big increase from the last time I looked at the company when it was around 50 employees.

I just hope that Avowed and a potential ToW sequel are better than ToW 1 was. I found it underwhelming.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 13th, 2021, 21:01
The Outer Worlds 2 - Official Reveal Trailer

loading…
This comedic cinematic trailer for The Outer Worlds 2 pokes fun at the usual game announcement trailers. It was shown during the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase. The Outer Worlds sequel will be an Xbox Console Exclusive.
@HiddenX
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 13th, 2021 at 21:16.

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

June 13th, 2021, 21:27
Turned out to be true….no info yet though.
--

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 13th, 2021, 21:28
Yeah, I guess I should have checked before I said that. That's a big increase from the last time I looked at the company when it was around 50 employees.

I just hope that Avowed and a potential ToW sequel are better than ToW 1 was. I found it underwhelming.
I think you can tell they had a limited scope due to budget….really it showed what they could do now lets give them some money to push it.
--

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 13th, 2021, 21:38
I think you can tell they had a limited scope due to budget….really it showed what they could do now lets give them some money to push it.
Yeah.. even though I was somewhat disappointed by ToW, I'll still play a sequel in the hope that it might be closer to what I was expecting from the first game.

They really need to rethink the way they do loot though or include some kind of hardcore mode that doesn't shower the player with 10x more weapons and ammo than they need.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Outer Worlds - Murder on Eridanos: Review