Might & Magic X - Hirelings and Soundtrack Bonus Vote

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Might & Magic X has a new update dealing with hirelings who may join your pary in the game. Also there is a new bonus vote for the game's soundtrack, and another for step 2 of the dungeon vote.

When you’re out for an adventure, it’s always nice to have some company. In MMX, you can have up to two hirelings who join your party. There are many different types of hirelings, but in general the deal is always the same: You gain something from them, but you have to pay them for it.

804033hirelings.jpg

The two beauties to the left and right of your party are your hirelings.

Some NPCs will offer to join your party as hirelings. You can accept their offer only if you have one or two free hireling slots (they’re the smaller portrait slots on the left and right of your party). Hirelings will cost resources, but they have positive effects on your party. These effects can either be

- permanent
- on demand (which may mean you have to pay an extra fee whenever you make use of your hireling’s service)
- once a day (counter resets by daybreak)

It’s a shame you can only have two!

So the difficulty lies in picking just the combination of hirelings that fits your party best. If you’re not pleased with the services of your hirelings, or if you found a better hireling, you can always fire them. They will vanish immediately, no hard feelings, and they won’t sue you either. There is an exception though: sometimes a hireling will also join your party temporarily as part of a quest line. You can’t fire those hirelings before you have finished the quest step you need them for.
More information.

And if I have 2 hirelings already, the temporary one will do what?

And if I have 2 hirelings already, the temporary one will do what?

It doesn't sound like you'll be able to take on a quest hireling and still have two normal hirelings. You will have to choose which of the other hirelings to keep.

On a side note - Am I the only one who doesn't care much for the character portraits we've seen so far?

I have no problems with the portraits, but on the other hand I'm not that picky. In the earlier MM's you could fire and then re-hire hirelings right? I suppose that's what you do when you need someone to accompany you for a quest.

I have no problems with the portraits, but on the other hand I'm not that picky. In the earlier MM's you could fire and then re-hire hirelings right? I suppose that's what you do when you need someone to accompany you for a quest.

I remember that if you had two hirelings then it would still add the quest npc to the hirelings pane; you'd just have to click over to cycle through them to see them. I think that was MMVI and the quest npcs that did this didn't provide hireling-like benefits. Really the portrait seemed to just be added to remind you they were tagging along.

I voted for Horns of War. Gave me that somber "we must away ere break of day" feel ;)

I chose Castle because dat dungeon feel. Also I feel ruins are overdone. Speaking of tropes, I very much expected option C to be a temple.

I like the idea of beasts of burden as hirelings.

The whole game looks like it could be browser based. I'm just not seeing anything exciting from this group so far. It looks like an indie, so I hope it's priced accordingly. All Might and Magic games are huge and they haven't covered that, to my knowledge, either. Is this going to be chock full of dungeons and maps like Might and Magic, or is it going to be a 10 location game? I'm asking because I don't have a clue. Maybe it's been covered.

The whole game looks like it could be browser based. I'm just not seeing anything exciting from this group so far. It looks like an indie, so I hope it's priced accordingly. All Might and Magic games are huge and they haven't covered that, to my knowledge, either. Is this going to be chock full of dungeons and maps like Might and Magic, or is it going to be a 10 location game? I'm asking because I don't have a clue. Maybe it's been covered.

It's ~20 hours IIRC. So yes the price will probably reflect that.

Back
Top Bottom