The TV Series discussion thread

I know I haven't caught up with watching TV series lately, but I just started watching "SUITS" and I love this show, it's so interesting to know the strategies and the behind the scenes of a firm.

I know I haven't caught up with watching TV series lately, but I just started watching "SUITS" and I love this show, it's so interesting to know the strategies and the behind the scenes of a firm.
I'm confused about this one's popularity. It's plain drama about unhealthy workplace. Kinda, I'm in such hell in RL, do I really need to watch what I see already every day around me?
S3 Supergirl episode Midvale made me happy. Now Smallville is officially part of the Arrowverse, although occuring on an alternate Earth naturally as
young Supergirl enlists the aid of Chloe Sullivan
Heard about but never watched Smallvile. Heard however not so good impressions, it does have 10 or more seasons, man, not gonna risk so much time, I'll stick with Supernatural.

About Arrow(v)erse, I think I'll drop Arrow and Flash completely. Both shows are now just dragging. Can't remember the last time I cared about anything or anyone in them. Tried Supergirl, cmon, I'm too old for such style. It's insulting my IQ, sorry.
But I'll continue watching Legends of Tomorrow. Love them trolling everyone and everything, they're mocking creators, fans and themselves. Pure fun. More comedy than in actual hollywood comedies. And when there are laughs to get, I'm in.

Watched 8 episodes of Cobra Kai. As expected it is very ridiculous, often in a 80's way though so that's OK. The acting is all over the place, sometimes you can clearly see Ralph Macchio has a hard time keeping it together and is about to burst into laughter (and probably has been for a few takes).

It's cute, kind of charming and 100% predictable. Sometimes it feels like a kids show, sometimes it feels like it's flirting with us born in the 70's or early 80's.

Episode length it perfect. A bit of fun for one evening, but nothing i will finish. Non of the characters sticks out apart perhaps for Zabka who's actually quite decent.

The one scene where someone steps into ""dog shit"" (in a very unlikely place for a dog) was a bit funny. It would need to have at least 1 similarly good joke per episode and it would have been more watchable..

The 9/10 rating on IMDB is a bit high, to say the least.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's about my take as well.

It reminds me of Stranger Things. It enjoys the same kind of popularity for similar reasons - and the writing is similarly bad overall.

Incidentally, both shows had reasonably plausible writing (within the context of the shows) for the first half - and then they fell apart.

One trick ponies with no real underpinning.

But as I said, it usually takes a few seasons before people remember that they haven't really watched anything like the first half for quite a while :)

It's a neat trick to have a powerful hook and premise - because people invest themselves a lot and become so forgiving of stupid shit that will happen later on.

The characters in Stranger Things are much more likable. Overall i really enjoyed Stranger Things in its simpleness. Much of that due to its characters and the overall feel/mood of it all, it was really giving me that Stephen Kings vibe that i really like. If the characters there had been as generic as in this I would not have liked it at all.

Here everything moves so fast that no mood, realism or "feel" for anyone is ever built up, this makes it super shallow. But its supposed to be like that, every episode is like 22 mins so there's no time for it..

I enjoy the characters in both shows - but in a superficial way. I don't find any of them compelling, really.

They're fun in a sort of cartoonish way.

Zabka is a little more interesting, but ultimately too one-note and I don't think there's enough there to carry the show.

To each his own, though.

It's hardly a bad thing that people find something they enjoy.

I swear, there's a new show every single day - if not more. I should be able to find a good one, but I guess I'm too picky.

Since you're repeating I'll repeat too.
Nothing falls apart in Cobra Kai. Except your concentration. Not mine, ofc.

While I adored the show, can't praise it enough and can't wait for it's next season, @vurt; is right up there. Cobra Kai isn't 9/10 material. Fun it is, but art aiming to improve the society it is not. Booze's in, pot too, which is okay, but it needs more ugly real looking people with real problems for example. The homeless chick was seemingly overused while in fact was underused.

Whatever. Who still didn't watch it? What's the wait for? Godot?

In this thread, yes.

Was home sick and binged watched two series>

Westworld S2.
Not amazing. It was okay but nowhere near the marvel of the first season. The season probably needed to only be 5 or 6 episodes long, it kinda dragged a bit for me. But the ending was quite satisfactory, one critic was right, the convoluted but understandable season 2 ending is damn near unspoilable. Kudos to them.

The Expanse s3(?)
The season started off slow but just kept getting better and better each episode. No falloff at all for this season, just tremendous story and writing and acting. And finally I cared for all the characters this season, even the villains. They were all written with a touch of gray, which for me added a confusing but satisfying story conflict. If the deal falls through and this show is finished. the creators left a fine mark in the TV sci fi universe.

Been watching the Classic Doctor Who marathon on Twitch, it's on the 4th week and loving it. Not only because I love Doctor Who (obviously) but watching the old episodes along with 8000+ other Doctor Who lovers in the chat is a great experience (probably the best thing of the marathon).
Unfortunately the best seasons are over and now we're entering the era of Classic Doctor Who I didn't care much about, which is pretty much the whole 80s.

Been watching the Classic Doctor Who marathon on Twitch, it's on the 4th week and loving it. Not only because I love Doctor Who (obviously) but watching the old episodes along with 8000+ other Doctor Who lovers in the chat is a great experience (probably the best thing of the marathon).
Unfortunately the best seasons are over and now we're entering the era of Classic Doctor Who I didn't care much about, which is pretty much the whole 80s.

Tom Baker is my favorite of the old Doctors. I didn't think Peter Davidson was bad either though. I haven't seen much of the really old stuff like the first two Doctors.

I've never been able to get into the modern Doctor Who. It just doesn't feel the same to me.

Say what? O_O
I think I posted the gif already, but after this statement (last sentence) can't hold it back.

landscape-1516122101-david-tennant-nope.gif

btw, why noone told me that Netflix saved Lucifer? I'm not saying the show is superb, but it'as fun. What's most important, finally Fox notorious for killing high quality television got a middlefinger from someone.

btw, why noone told me that Netflix saved Lucifer? I'm not saying the show is superb, but it'as fun. What's most important, finally Fox notorious for killing high quality television got a middlefinger from someone.
Fox always cancels its best shows and keeps the lower rated ones on air.:mad:

Lost count of how many one season and done shows.

Some of my Favorites that were canceled.

Almost Human
FireFly
Lucifer
Second Chance
Exorcist

and many other shows.:tears:

Tom Baker is my favorite of the old Doctors. I didn't think Peter Davidson was bad either though. I haven't seen much of the really old stuff like the first two Doctors.

I've never been able to get into the modern Doctor Who. It just doesn't feel the same to me.

I liked Peter Davidson, I didn't like his first companions, but he was still ok (specially after Adric left, I hated Adric with a passion). Colin Baker I did not like, and Silverster McCoy I did not like his first two years. The third (and last) year was good but by then the damage was done and they cancelled Doctor Who.

The problem with shows that span decades such as Doctor Who is that things change. By that I mean that production values get better but also what the show is trying to do is very different now from the early years. This also reflects that as a society we are changing. This makes it very hard, sometimes, to watch the very old Doctor Whos. I remember watching "An Unearthly Child" about 10 years ago - it was so slow, everything was repeated several times (or it felt like it) and I thought that they could do this in half the time. [Of course you didn't have the ability to record and re-watch later]. In addition it was aimed at children in the early years. Now it tackles adult and young adult themes.

For me the best Doctors, now, are Sylvester McCoy and Christopher Eccleston. Both played with a touch of darkest that made me think that the Doctor was truly an alien. McCoy got better as the series went on and the stories got better. For me the 4 stories in series 3 were all very good, with the Daleks and Cybermen from series 2 being good. I though the "The Greatest Show …" suffered from poor props and special effects though it could be a goodish radio offering.

I think that the Doctor is always better if the companion(s) are believable. In Ace and Rose I thought we had excellent companions. Brave and willing to learn and lead when necessary.

PS when growing up my Doctor was Jon Pertwee until McCoy turned up.

Sleepy Hollow

Currently binging on Sleepy Hollow. Bought the DVD set recently. I had only seen it the once on TV. So my impressions are that the best series are the first two. The story is strong and the actors are impressive. Lots of twists and turns. About half way through the 3rd series - it's fine but a little less good that the previous two series. Maybe missing the character acting of John Noble and the fire of Katia Winter's character.

Hope it picks up a little.

It won't. Fox cut funds.

For some reason I thought the Expanse season 3 was on amazon prime video (because they bought it and because of the discussion on streaming services we had here). Luckily signing up for the trial did not work in the app, as I see now on the website that the expanse is not on there yet. :( I was already building up excitement for more than a week to see it. What a let down, argh.

Btw: anybody knows if the content changes if you sign up through amazon.fr, amazon.de, or amazon.com?

I've watched the first six episodes of the second series for Luke Cage, and enjoying it a lot. Sure, there's a little filler but I've always loved the comic, and I'll tolerate a bit to support such programming. Granted I'm only halfway or so through, but I'm suspecting it won't tank in the second half.

Back
Top Bottom