What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 282 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

March 9th, 2021, 01:29
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had its moments, although I agree 100% that it's vastly inferior to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I didn't like Depp in it, but I thought most of the kids and their parents were solid. The clone Oompa Loompa was a sad joke though.

Ghostbusters on the other hand was complete shit. It was a terrible idea that had no redeeming qualities imo.
Yes, I think the supporting cast in Charlie - the family background bit - was fine, and could have fit into a better movie. There's not a good word I could say about Ghostbusters - unless it's a subversive, avant-garde art piece exploring the boundaries of badness.

But I found them both not just failures, but teeth-grindingly obnoxious.

EDIT: I liked this RLM look back at Willy Wonka. I think they captured the stark difference to the remake.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Last edited by Ripper; March 9th, 2021 at 01:51.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
+1:

March 9th, 2021, 14:10
A documentary I really have been looking forward to came out this week. "Stray" - https://www.straymovie.com/ - it's about stray dogs in Turkey where it's illegal to capture or kill stray animals.

From the website/YT page:

"STRAY explores what it means to live as a being without status or security, following three strays - Zeytin, Nazar and Kartal - as they embark on inconspicuous journeys through Turkish society that allow us an unvarnished portrait of human life — and their own canine culture. Zeytin, fiercely independent, embarks on adventures through the city at night; Nazar, nurturing and protective, easily befriends the humans around her; while Kartal, a shy puppy living on the outskirts of a construction site, finds companions in the security guards who care for her. The disparate lives of Zeytin, Nazar and Kartal intersect when they each form intimate bonds with a group of young Syrians who share the streets with them. Whether they lead us into bustling streets or decrepit ruins, the gaze of these strays acts as a window into the overlooked corners of society: women in loveless marriages, protesters without arms, refugees without sanctuary. STRAY is a critical observation of human civilization through the unfamiliar gaze of dogs and a sensory voyage into new ways of seeing."
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 9th, 2021, 16:13
99% of remakes are utter bullshit.
0.99% are okay.
Only 0.01% are better than the original.

I'm talking about actual remakes not new adaptations.
Two Total Recall movies for example are two different adaptations, it's not a case of remake. If you ask me, both are worth watching. Which one is better depends on your taste.

Sadly, in most cases a remake gets done just for cashgrab purposes.
Rarely because the original had potential to be much more and deserved a better version. It's understandable from a swindler point of view because con artists do not care if thier fraud insults anyone.

Anyway, IMO there is no need to pick specific remake titles as horrible ones, a list on good ones would be easier to make.

----------------

About the turkish documentary, sorry but won't risk.
Most of their movies (and shows) suck.
The only way to persuade me into it is a bunch of friends word of mouth. An example is Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - I'd never watch if friends didn't tell me first it's great.
And it is a masterpiece.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; March 9th, 2021 at 16:33.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)

March 11th, 2021, 00:50
I re-watched one of my favourite documentaries, which I don't think I've mentioned - The Act of Killing. The subject is a genocidal warlord that escaped justice, who agrees to take part in the re-enactments of his atrocities, and in which he claims pride. If ever there was a film that hinges on the final scene.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_act_of_killing
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

March 11th, 2021, 17:46
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
About the turkish documentary, sorry but won't risk.
Most of their movies (and shows) suck.
The only way to persuade me into it is a bunch of friends word of mouth. An example is Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - I'd never watch if friends didn't tell me first it's great.
And it is a masterpiece.
One more worth mentioning is Winter sleep. Usually not my kind of movie but kept watching it due to the charismatic lead and his dialogues with his wife & sister.

kazga

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 11th, 2021, 17:49
Last night I re-watched Incendies, which is quite the good post-war story, backed by superb and amazing music. A great tale, showing some of the sheer abject horrors of war that have always scoured the triumphs, whatever they may have been. Oh, the sheer cost that humanity must bear at times.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
+1:

March 11th, 2021, 18:20
Masterpiece.
A blueprint on how to make a movie for drama/war/biography/history haters like me - who will praise it instead of spitting on yet another garbage.
Just so you know it took three friends to persuade me into watching it due to imdb drama/war tags.
But this movie is not the usual unrealistic bullshit wrapped in a shiny package, it's so much more than that.

In other words, this gem will assure you it's all those stinking movies that suck, not your taste.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 14th, 2021, 10:25
The Wrong Missy

I usually hate romantic comedies but this one was pretty funny. It features David Spade and Lauren Lapkus and was produced by Adam Sandler. I thought it was a lot better than reviews would have you believe.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 12:47
Man The Wrong Missy was hilarious probably one of Adam Sandler's best movies in years. Seems his exclusive contract with Netflix was a good business decision.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 17:42
I may have to check that one out then, I'm in the mood for a new, good romantic comedy. And I quite enjoy both Spade and Sandler.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 15th, 2021, 17:16
Ok, so I didn't pick a romantic comedy after all, I went with a film entitled "Minari", and it was really good. I won't spoil a darn thing about it, all I'll say is if you enjoy fine movies with superb acting and content, see it. You'll not be disappointed!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 15th, 2021, 19:33
Doom: Annihilation

If you ever have a chance to watch it… don't. Even for a B movie, it's terrible.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 15th, 2021, 20:21
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I also liked Deathproof, and find myself constantly needing to defend it, since most people hate it. So I’m glad I’m not alone for once. The car scenes were intense as hell.
I didn't hate it, but I didn't particularly like it either. I enjoyed the whole theater going experience of Grindhouse, but I liked the Rodriguez movie a lot more. The only Tarantino movie I like less is Jackie Brown.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

March 15th, 2021, 20:42
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I didn't hate it, but I didn't particularly like it either. I enjoyed the whole theater going experience of Grindhouse, but I liked the Rodriguez movie a lot more. The only Tarantino movie I like less is Jackie Brown.
I didn't like Planet Terror at all. But I'm sure it was not for me. I don't generally like B movies. The only thing about them I like is watching the guys at RedLetterMedia making fun of them at Best of the Worst.

But I loved Machete. It was hilarious. Especially the trailer for it.
Danny Trejo is hilarious.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

March 15th, 2021, 21:10
Woah….not liking Jackie Brown is tantamount to fighting words, sir! That film is just chock-full of goodness!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

March 15th, 2021, 21:30
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Ok, so I didn't pick a romantic comedy after all, I went with a film entitled "Minari", and it was really good. I won't spoil a darn thing about it, all I'll say is if you enjoy fine movies with superb acting and content, see it. You'll not be disappointed!
Seeing it's now an oscar nominee where they forgot The Devil All the Time in all categories, made me decide to never watch it.

But due to your pick and mentioning romantic comedy I have to praise a decade old Spellbound.
Won't spoil a single thing, all I can tell you is that you haven't seen something like this ever. And most probably won't.

The trailer is an utter bs, so I won't link it.
Doom: Annihilation

If you ever have a chance to watch it… don't. Even for a B movie, it's terrible.
I've watched both Doom movies and found both fun.
TBH, I didn't expect much and refused to buy recent Doom 10hours max long games that's probably why I liked those movies.
I didn't like Planet Terror at all.

But I loved Machete.
I love both.
Jackie Brown
A mustwatch if you ask me.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; March 15th, 2021 at 21:40.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 15th, 2021, 21:50
But I loved Machete. It was hilarious. Especially the trailer for it.
Danny Trejo is hilarious.
Machete was great. I loved the cast and especially the scene with Lindsay Lohan.

The sequel was completely forgettable though.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I've watched both Doom movies and found both fun.
TBH, I didn't expect much and refused to buy recent Doom 10hours max long games that's probably why I liked those movies.
Trust me, the games are a hell of a lot better than the movies.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 15th, 2021, 22:36
Woah….not liking Jackie Brown is tantamount to fighting words, sir! That film is just chock-full of goodness!
It's never been one of my more popular opinions. I have at least one friend who thinks it's Tarantino's best movie.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

March 16th, 2021, 03:23
I like Daniel Trejo, but I just didn't care at all for Machete. I dozed off twice while trying to watch….whatever that was.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 17th, 2021, 00:57
Trust me, the games are a hell of a lot better than the movies.
I trusted you that Prey is a lot better than… Dunno now.
What I got was a sheer mediocrity, utter boredom and world designer's mushrooms obsession.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread