Kingmaker - Player Survey - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingmaker - Player Survey

Default Kingmaker - Player Survey

April 8th, 2019, 08:10
A player survey for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Player Survey - Let Us Know What You Think!

Dear pathfinders,

As you all know, we're constantly at work, trying to make our game better, easier to understand and more comfortable to play. Apart from this, right now we're busy developing a console version of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. We love getting feedback from our players. In order to better understand your needs and to make a few important decisions about future development, we've decided to conduct this survey. It turned out to be pretty substantial in size, and still, we would like to ask you to spend a little time and help us out. Your insight and experience as the kings and queens of the Stolen Lands would be invaluable to us!

Click to Take Part in Survey[ru.surveymonkey.com]
Thanks Farflame!


More information.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,693
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 09:09
So, they are aiming at the console release, and consider how much they need to dumb down the game there.
domein is offline

domein

domein's Avatar
Vintage Brewer

#2

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 09:38
Well Obsidian, Larian and Inxile always release console versions so it nothing new. The only problem will be the patching system is different then Steam, and GOG
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#3

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,378
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 15:06
Would be great if they are able to recognize this is not game suitable for contemporary consoles. Would help them to avoid burning resources on unreasonable port. But thats probably just wishful thinking.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 15:17
I did see the survey but I've no intention of filling it out as of yet, not until I complete the game. Hopefully that will occur later this year.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 12,798
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 15:21
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
Would be great if they are able to recognize this is not game suitable for contemporary consoles. Would help them to avoid burning resources on unreasonable port. But thats probably just wishful thinking.
Console money can make them a profit to upgrade the game, so I'm for it. More money for devs means more and better games.
TheRealFluent is online now

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#6

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 15:29
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I did see the survey but I've no intention of filling it out as of yet, not until I complete the game.
Read what @domein said.
The survey is for the console(s) audience sadly. I didn't believe but after a few questions I just closed the trash without finishing it.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#7

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,169
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 16:21
Aye that seemed pretty console focused. I did it anyway so they could hear from non-console players.

I disagree that making a console game is good for the PC game because it makes more money. The tendency seems to be that developers see the "gold mine" of consoles and that soon becomes their focus for development and the PC tacked on secondary.

Even if both get support I doubt they would overhaul the game for a PC version. The survey talked a great deal about companion AI and control. This was clear for a console reason. So if they adjusted things to make the companions very independent then that would leak over into the PC game.

That in itself isn't a big thing for me as I prefer to focus only on my own character and don't want a lot of micro-management of my companions. I prefer them when they have their own AI and personality. I do want to be able to guide them (take control) if needed though.

But that was just one example of how designing for a console can have an impact on the PC and I know many folks here do enjoy micro-management of the entire party.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#8

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 17:18
Of course you don't agree, no one here will because consoles = bad to most PC gamers. But looking at the big picture more money for Owlcat = more and better games. I highly doubt they're just going to focus on the console "gold mine" which isn't going to be a gold mine for the type of games they make anyway, thus leaving PC gamers in the dust. I am optimistic that they'll use their funds to make better games as anyone should be.
TheRealFluent is online now

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#9

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 17:57
I really liked the first chapter of this game and all the way to winning the castle/fort thingy. After that, the gameplay changed and I dropped it. Never did go back. I'm not even 1% interested in the castle parts.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 8,530
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 19:03
To be honest, I have my doubts porting such game to console means automatically profit that can be used for future development. It can probably generate some revenue, but thats not profit. If I assume that studio does not strive for survival and does not need to turn quick revenue to cover operating cost, I would rather see them working on something else.

There is of course lots of assumption in this theory. I just dont see how PC niche game, which is real time based and requires strategic micro management turns into hit on consoles.

Btw, I play on PC and most contemporary consoles. I like them all but for diferent reasons.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 19:20
I agree with Wolf. Not many games get improved by any association with consoles.

In general games are designed with the lowest common denominator in mind and then tweaked for different systems or setup. If something is designed for consoles its unlikely that a great deal of effort would ever be spent to redesign for PC.

If Pathfinder makes a bunch of console money then that's great for now, but it just likely means any future products would be designed for console. Generally bad in the long run for proper PC design, as evidenced by every single other AAA company in the last 10 years.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,834
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 20:04
Ack, I totally missed the console focus for the survey! Thanks for the heads-up, now I can completely forget it.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 12,798
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 20:47
Kingmaker is not going to make a bundle on consoles, just a little bit. PC will always be the main repository for Owlcat RPGs unless some miraculous happenstance happens where console gamers turn into hardcore RPG players overnight. So since consoles are small bucks and PC is their bread and butter, the small bucks will go to make the bread and butter more buttery. In other words, show some faith in Owlcat, will ya? I highly doubt they're going to ditch PCs after a game like Kingmaker and suddenly start making console beat 'em ups because their console port of a PC game sold 50k copies on console.

They make for PC and port to console, not the other way around.
Last edited by TheRealFluent; April 8th, 2019 at 21:09.
TheRealFluent is online now

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#14

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

April 9th, 2019, 02:02
I'm totally ok with them providing their excellent games to those that don't own actual computers. Charge them a bundle, then put that money right back into investments for the computer crowd!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 12,798
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

Default 

April 9th, 2019, 02:16
There are a few strange comments here about 'dumbing down' and 'not suitable' for consoles. I find it odd as most CRPG games of any note always end up on console (some even on mobile). From Baldurs Gate to Pillars of Eternity. Planescape to Torment tides of Numera, Divinity OS 2 and even Wasteland 2 are all relatively recent CRPG releases on console. The mind-set that they are not somehow viable on console is really out of touch (possible snobbery). The fact is current console architecture is so close to PC it costs very little to port and, as others have said, I am all for it if it brings an extra revenue stream to OwlCat who will then make superior games for the main market on PC (especially after the awful launch of Kingmaker).
SkullScience is offline

SkullScience

SkullScience's Avatar
Watcher

#16

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Liverpool UK
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

April 9th, 2019, 04:05
Originally Posted by SkullScience View Post
The mind-set that they are not somehow viable on console is really out of touch (possible snobbery).
Sure you can make it work, but console controls suck for RTwP games, same reason you don't generally see realtime strategy games on consoles.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#17

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,231
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

April 9th, 2019, 04:10
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Sure you can make it work, but console controls suck for RTwP games, same reason you don't generally see realtime strategy games on consoles.
Yep a few RTS games were released on consoles but did not sell well over the years. I remember playing Dune, and a few Command and Conquer games.

As for RTwP didn't the latest console RPG port versions sell well, or am I missing something? I know the Divinity games sold well but they are turn-based.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 9th, 2019 at 04:26.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#18

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,378
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Default 

April 9th, 2019, 04:27
This survey is also probably gauging interest in a possible console port. I have faith in Owlcat, they made the best CRPG since Baldur's Gate imo.
TheRealFluent is online now

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#19

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

April 9th, 2019, 05:13
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
As for RTwP didn't the latest console RPG port versions sell well, or am I missing something? I know the Divinity games sold well but they are turn-based.
What I've read said Pillars of Eternity 1 sold awfully on console. Tyranny never came out on console. Are there any other new, big name RTwP releases that have come out on console? Can't think of any.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#20

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,231
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingmaker - Player Survey
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:31.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch