Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Some sites checked out the Early Access version of Baldur's Gate 3 already - some like it - some not:

Rock Paper Shotgun:

[...]

No, my word of warning goes instead to those who simply want to enjoy the story. By dint of being a first act it threatens to be all dilemma and no consequence. There are immediate consequences - big, messy, reach-for-the-quick-load consequences - but know that the meat of your mulling won't be answered for some time. If it were not for this job, and having the self-control of four year old at a birthday party (or games journalist presented with a plate of miniburgers at a press event), I would would want to see this enticing story play out in full. Don't feel pressured to gather your party and venture forth, but based on what I've seen, I think that party is in for one hell of a ride when they do.
NME:

[...]

Our Verdict

Even though it's in early access, there's so much content to dig into with Baldur's Gate III's debut that I'd be shocked if anyone experiences everything before the next expansion of meaningful content drops. It's an ambitiously built, well-written tale of adventure framed by lovable companions and stunning fidelity. If you've got a busy imagination and consider yourself to be a fan of RPGs tabletop or digital, this game should be an instant purchase. I've never played a Baldur's Gate game in my life, but this feels like a hell of a good place to start.

Pros

• Dynamic, creative D&D gameplay
  • Lovable characters and fantastic set pieces
  • Gorgeous graphics and inspired environments

Cons

• A decent dose of bugs as part of the early access release
Ars Technica:

[...]

Conclusions

If you're looking for the prettiest, flashiest RPG ever to grace a computer screen, Baldur's Gate 3 is almost certainly what you're looking for. There are few or no pre-rendered cutscenes, since the real-time engine itself is capable of producing nearly photorealistic scenery and faces.

For the most part, the game's engine also avoids the uncanny valley of humanoid faces that are almost, but not quite, perfect--it's very easy to watch your characters interact with others and feel like you're watching a movie, with fully rendered faces, bodies, movement, and expressions.

Unfortunately, this greatly magnifies the flaws in the scripting of both language and action. Your character feels real--but he or she also feels like someone who has only attended a couple of improv classes and has been given vague but very firm instructions on how to react to things.

Beyond the good looks of the graphics, I haven't found much in Baldur's Gate 3 to recommend it. Your character and party feel like insignificant gnats and are forced by circumstance to do and see awful things that they're not powerful enough to change. This is not a case of "tough moral choices" as seen in Wasteland 3, or in Obsidian's excellent 2016 RPG Tyranny--in Baldur's Gate 3, it feels like you have no agency at all.

The good

• The graphics in this game are incredible--this is easily the best-looking RPG I've ever seen
  • Great artwork on top of the excellent engine--moody crypts, savage wildernesses, magical groves all "pop"
  • Large worlds, with little or no "zone time" for fast travel
The bad

• Awkward, unsatisfying combat
  • Punishing dialog with frequent feat rolls practically demands save-scumming
  • Encounters often feel unbalanced and forced
The ugly

• Your party hates you
  • All of the factions hate you
  • Watching innocent characters get murdered
  • Murdering innocent characters yourself
Den of the Geek:

[...]

All of this is really just scratching the surface of what Baldur's Gate 3 has to offer. I could go on and on about the brilliant voice acting and writing, the improved character animations, the wide variety of spells that let you conjure familiars, charm enemies, have telekinetic conversations with animals and dead people...this is a staggeringly deep RPG, even in Early Access.

Most of the drawbacks have to do with performance and presentation. I encountered several visual glitches throughout my playthroughs, and it's clear that this is an unfinished product, but Larian was working to patch the game even as press were going hands-on. Hopefully, players will be able to jump into a much smoother experience at launch. Overall, I can't wait to play (and replay) the game some more and delve deeper into the rich world Larian has created.

[...]
More information.

Quite some variation there. Interesting. I guess we'll find out more soon.

At least they could start the game, a lot of users just get a black screen or an immediate crash. It looks like they forgot to package libraries that are required, if that's true, it's really a rookie mistake.

Even though this is my most anticipated game, I'll stay patient and wait for the full release.

Your party hates you
All of the factions hate you
Watching innocent characters get murdered
Murdering innocent characters yourself

So.... sorta like the internet?

"I’ve never played a Baldur’s Gate game in my life, but" -- These people should NEVER be allowed to review a sequel. No matter what. If they didn't play BG1 and they are not titled to review any CRPG.

Even though this is my most anticipated game, I'll stay patient and wait for the full release.

I wont, cause it may be almost a year. I'll play it shortly (need the gamebreaking first days patch to pass, if any). Then i'll replay it when released.

"I’ve never played a Baldur’s Gate game in my life, but" -- These people should NEVER be allowed to review a sequel. No matter what. If they didn't play BG1 and they are not titled to review any CRPG.

Erm why? This BG3 seem to be a completely different game to previous BGs. I don't see why that disqualifies them from reviewing this.

Wasn’t able to get to this today and won’t probably tomorrow either. Pouring a new sidewalk at my house. Mixing 120 80LB bags of concrete by hand has me thinking I may be getting to old to be a do it yourselfer. :lol:

After playing for about 6 hours I don't understand why this game is called BG3, it is completely irrelevant to the plot of BG1/2, has nothing similar in gameplay, and uses a very different rule set. This is much more a divinity original sin 2, with Forgotten Realms flavor and some gray morality spliced in.

Well it's simple really…:biggrin:

Brand Image/Name = Mass Hype/Early Pre-orders
Could they have named it Baldur's Gate: Something sure, but they didn't. Don't worry though the Bhaal spawn saga will be mentioned as you play at some point.

With the great amount of kick-ass game releases going on now, like Wasteland 3, Cyberpunk, etc I think I'm entering another one of those rare 'golden ages' of RPGs. Just needed another Mass Effect to be the best ever...

Early reports sound like I expected. Great graphics and feels like DOS3. Not surprised.

I've been playing today as a lightfoot halfling rogue called Tom and I've liked what I have played so far. In character creation I see vacant eye faces for halflings, the one I like has a scar on it which I wish was optional. The voice options are 2 male and 2 female so pretty limited atm. Its been very interesting looking around and exploring. I'm enjoying the companions I've met so far and it has been fun to explore things. It was a pita to get it to run through. I was getting a black screen trying to start it from my GOG version. Updated nvidia drivers and visual studio stuff but to no avail. I had to go to Baldurs Gate 3 directory/bin and hold down right shift and click run as administrator on the exe to get it to work.

I have played a little bit of BG3 (mostly because I spent 2 hours creating a character) and the game so far is amazing.

However, I just came here to comment the review of "Ars Technica" (one of the reviews listed above). He/She said: "Obsidian's excellent 2016 RPG Tyranny". hahahahhahahha... man... I just cannot respect the opinion of someone that says that. This game is awful.

It was a pita to get it to run through. I was getting a black screen trying to start it from my GOG version. Updated nvidia drivers and visual studio stuff but to no avail. I had to go to Baldurs Gate 3 directory/bin and hold down right shift and click run as administrator on the exe to get it to work.

Good to know that you found a solution. I have been playing on GOG and no problem so far. But if I ran into this I will know what to do.

However, I just came here to comment the review of "Ars Technica" (one of the reviews listed above). He/She said: "Obsidian's excellent 2016 RPG Tyranny". hahahahhahahha… man… I just cannot respect the opinion of someone that says that. This game is awful.
Right back at ya as I loved Tyranny. Others on this forum do as well.
I had to go to Baldurs Gate 3 directory/bin and hold down right shift and click run as administrator on the exe to get it to work.
I make sure to run every game as administrator. Usually solves every start-up error.

Right back at ya as I loved Tyranny. Others on this forum do as well.

Really? I couldn't stand two hours of it. I just found it extremely boring. I wanted to return but GOG didn't have the money back policy at the time.

Outer Worlds was a similar case to me. I guess I just don't like recent Obsidian titles…

No offense intended man, I do respect your opinion ;)

Back
Top Bottom