Witcher witcher random stutter

The Witcher
S

sakichop

Im about half way through the witcher. I get a random 1 sec. stutter. I can't reproduce it. It's been happening the whole game i'm trying to just ignore it and get through the game. It happens at all graphic settings even low with everything turned off. It runs fine on my suns much less powerful machine.

my specs:

win 7 64 bit.
msi big bang xpower
i7 920 @ 4 ghz. (have tried it without overclock.)
12 gb ram
creative x-fi titanium (have tried with and without alchemy.)
logitech g7 gaming mouse. (uninstalled set point.)
2 gtx 480's sli (have tried it without sli.)
2 2tb wd black in raid 0. (tried it with out raid before i set it up.)
3 1 tb drives for extra storage ( have tried it with them unplugged.)
zboard merc stealth keyboard.

I have tried boxed version patched to 1.5, steam version and now gog version.

I will probably struggle through it if I can't fix it but if anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it that would be great.

I have search the web but generally the post I find are people having performance problem which I don't think this is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you only get this problem while playing? Not browsing the web, Office, etc?

Do you have the latest video card and mboard chipset drivers?

Do you only get this problem while playing? Not browsing the web, Office, etc?

Do you have the latest video card and mboard chipset drivers?

yes i've done a fresh install all latest drivers and it only happens in the witcher everything else runs fine.

Have you tried XP compatibility modes? It might also be an issue with the 64bit OS and your hardware config.

You could always try a dual boot, but that's a lot of fuss over a single game.

Ignore that guy. Cripes, people are so fast to blame the OS. Don't set XP compatibility modes. Just about NOTHING needs them and this is a modern game we're talking about. Also, a dual boot to a previous outdated OS for a modern game? Seriously? How is this helping anyone?

Anyhow. My first thought would be to try disabling SLI (the game will still run just fine with one of those cards :) but, well, you've already tried that. Have you tried disabling vsync? Or enabling it? Have you tried running the game in windowed mode? I'm having no problems with the game myself, so I know for sure that it runs fine in Windows 7 64-bit. My settings are all maxed (except AA is at 4x I think) and I'm running at 1776x1000 in a window. Right now, in fact!

Glancing around the web, I can see some folks are having stuttering involving something to do with sound. I read some google cached forum posts from someone with a stutter problem that was resolved only by disabling the games sound. I didn't find a fix, but if disabling the sound fixes the stutter for you, then at least you know what the problem is. :/

I have tried different compatibility modes also download all dx 9 versions.

I have read some post about x-fi causing problem but they didn't seem like the same thing i was getting but I will swap it out for the card that came with my motherboard see if that helps. i'll also try it with no sound card just to see.

I've had a hard time finding info on it as many of the forum links are dead when I search. They just go to the witcher 2 site and say page not found.

I've ran it on win-7 64 bit on other computers no problems. Computers with much less power than mine so I think it's got to be 1 specific component that the game doesn't like.

I don't remember for sure if it helps on this game, but go into your direct X diag. and turn the hardware acceleration down to basic for the onboard sound card and see if that helps.

Well I took out the sound card and it still stuttered.

so I thought the last thing I haven't checked ram. yanked out 6 of the 12 gb and bam no stutter. I guess the witcher either doesn't like 12 gb or doesn't like having all 6 mem slots full either way i'll finish it so I have my save for the witcher 2 then put the rest of the mem back in.

Now.... the witcher 2 comes out in 1 day and i'm half way through the game so......OH CRAP! o_o

Now taking bets on whether or not I finish the witcher 1 before I crack open witcher 2 . I don't like my odds.:)

Anyway thanks for the help and I hope this helps anyone else who might have this problem, although i'm betting i'm a couple years late.

Why didn't I just save my first save from years ago.:rolleyes:

Now…. the witcher 2 comes out in 1 day and i'm half way through the game so……OH CRAP! o_o

Yep, I started playing TW1 again last week before realizing I waited too long to start a replay. I probably wouldn't have finished it before tonight, and I don't enjoy trying to rush through crpgs. Luckily I still had my original saves on my old hard drive.

That indeed sounds like it was a chipset issue - are you sure you have the latest motherboard drivers?

Ignore that guy. Cripes, people are so fast to blame the OS. Don't set XP compatibility modes. Just about NOTHING needs them and this is a modern game we're talking about.

There's no need to be an ass, I threw out multiple solutions. And The Witcher is hardly a modern game as you say - it is 3 1/2 years old and built upon an even older Aurora engine.

Might want to do a memory check on all that memory you have. There's one built into Windows 7 now - just search on 'memory' and it should pop right up.

Also, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get to Witcher 2. I hear the next round of drivers from NVIDIA will work a good bit better with the game. (Certainly true for playing the game under 3D Vision.)

P.S. I see stutter all the time. It means I forgot to turn BOINC off again. ;)

Might want to do a memory check on all that memory you have. There's one built into Windows 7 now - just search on 'memory' and it should pop right up.

Also, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get to Witcher 2. I hear the next round of drivers from NVIDIA will work a good bit better with the game. (Certainly true for playing the game under 3D Vision.)

P.S. I see stutter all the time. It means I forgot to turn BOINC off again. ;)

Put all 12 gb back in to test with memtest. 2 passes and 4 hrs running no errors. Still runs with no stutter on 6 gb but with stutter with 12gb, not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom