What are you reading?

I'm reading the third installment of the gentlemen bastards "Republik of thieves" and while it's easy reading, it's the worst of the 3. The first is superior by far.

I am sorry to hear that, series had lot of potential and I hoped it will get better.I probably won't bother with 3rd book than.

Also I finished Legend and I agree it's raw but lovely book.

Next I will probably start either Belgariad or Riftwar and continue Drenai saga later.

You can't go wrong with the Belgariad or the Riftwar. I consider the Riftwar a more complicated series as there are several parties in different locales that you must keep track. Both series feature incredibly strong mages; though Pug isn't the main character in most of the Riftwar books. I love the Belgariad and have read it every couple years since its release.

If you want another powerful mage series and don't mind a female protagonist, try the Black Jewels trilogy. It tells the story of a little girl who is sent to a home for mentally unstable children, but she's really just a very powerful Witch who can jump between realms. Good read but it does contain sexual themes. It hints at most types of forbidden relationships (necrophilia, homosexuality, bestiality, incest, pedophilia, torture, etc) but doesn't go into graphic detail on any of it. Well, maybe the torture.

Last edited:
I've blown through a couple books the past few days, Leviathan Wakes and the Veronica Mars book, which picks up slightly after the movie. Both were good, and now I'm on to the sequel of Leviathan Wakes. I really cannot recall how long it has been since I've read a good sci fi saga.

I stumbled on a copy of Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber a while back and I've slowly been working thru that. I was a kid when I first read those (prodded by the Lankhmar section of the AD&D Deities and Demigods book). So far, I'm finding the stories good but not great. I remember liking them better the first time around, which is a little strange since it's supposed to be a high-brow take on swords-n-sorcery adventures.

Also I finished Legend and I agree it's raw but lovely book.

Next I will probably start either Belgariad or Riftwar and continue Drenai saga later.
So, did it live up to my hype? Gemmell did improve as he wrote more, but I still think he did a good job with that "flawed pathos" thing that Rothfuss did so very, very well.

I love Gemmel's heroic stuff. Waylander is my favorite

So, did it live up to my hype? Gemmell did improve as he wrote more, but I still think he did a good job with that "flawed pathos" thing that Rothfuss did so very, very well.

It won't go among my favorite books but as I said it's lovely book and I did get what I expected.

For those who like stories about powerful mages, there is a free trilogy you can read on Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/byseries/804 This is a pretty good read with an occasional editing error but much better than most indie efforts.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/404136

Another great read from Smashwords. Soul of Fire tells the story of Sheba, an heir to the throne of fire, living as a servant to avoid the Traitor who killed her parents. She has a talent so unusual that it hasn't been seen in centuries, so she is believed to be worthless, without a power except the fire magic that is in everyone from Pyr. Her protector, who knows her lineage but not her power, unwittingly takes the steps that reveals her talent.

Great book. Lots of magic, some combat, lots of good dialogue, and a little dash of romance. You've got magic gems and weapons, telepathic animals, and several other fantasy staples all dished up in an appetizing manner.

I finished Belgariad books where short so it didn't take me long.It was fun enough to complete series, dialogs where amusing but it's not series that will linger in my memory or something that I will recommend to friends but it was amusing enough that I will consider reading Malloreon at some point(but that might not be that soon).

Next either Riftwar or Mistborn or I might even go for The last werewolf series(few friends had high praise for this one).

I've been reading more tech-related books recently, but threw in Inversions by Mr. Banks, one of his Culture novels. It was relatively short and interesting enough, but more along the lines of Social Sci-Fi: The story itself could be read purely as a medieval / fantasy story on an alien world; the Sci-Fi part is buried deeply and almost not visible. Think Star Trek and its First Directive, with the POV of a character from an underdeveloped world. It makes a bit more sense when you know about the Culture and Contact.

Personally I prefer a more visible Sci-Fi approach, though.

Just finished Rupetta by Nike Solway - wow! Sort of a steam punk exploration of what happens when some people can avoid death in a society. Just wow!

Finished Mistborn:The final empire which I liked a lot, I will definitively continue series in near future.I also finished The last werewolf, some of my friends talked highly about it but I didn't like it at all, total waste of time and money.

I am currently reading Gardens of the moon first in Malzan book of fallen series and with it started reading another series, I really should finish one series before jumping into another but I just can't help it.

I am currently reading Gardens of the moon first in Malzan book of fallen series and with it started reading another series, I really should finish one series before jumping into another but I just can't help it.

I started Gardens of the Moon and decided to stop. Just can't seem to get into it after making it to part 2 of the first novel. There was always this feeling I was missing something about the setting and characters. The author filling in details retrospectively became annoying to me as did trying to follow the timeline. YMMV.

I really would like to find a fantasy series besides Game of Thrones (I have nothing against it, but the TV series removes all surprises— at least for book 1).

There are a zillion of fantasy series. If you want recommendations maybe specify what you are in the mood for (and even then you will get plenty) ? Or checkout goodreads.com

On the other hand, try to stick with Steven. While it may be hard to get into it, they are an excellent series.

I started Gardens of the Moon and decided to stop. Just can't seem to get into it after making it to part 2 of the first novel. There was always this feeling I was missing something about the setting and characters. The author filling in details retrospectively became annoying to me as did trying to follow the timeline. YMMV.

I finished around half of the book so far and I have mixed feelings about.I find world itself and it's history interesting but characters and dialogs are not that well written imo.

Yes, you need to fully concentrate when reading otherwise you are missing out on a lot of things. Nothing is given to you. I thought it quite refreshing at the time, though admittedly it can become tiresome (I was ready for some light reading when I finished the last book). I'd back a kickstarter RPG instantly.

Back
Top Bottom