Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Patched

The only in-game ads I noticed were for future Final Fantasy games, but those were mostly a parody.

I noticed a bunch of diplomas from the University of Pheonix hanging from walls in various places, which I was assuming was an ad. I thought it was kind of funny that the head of your company has such a diploma proudly displayed on his wall.

I guess I didn't pay attention. I turn off every stinking Picus broadcast because of repetiveness though, so some faux commercials for real products would have been a pretty humorous add. I love the Rush Limbaugh character, Lazarus. He's a hoot.

I do enjoy shooting the TV's with a silenced pistol. I think it'd be cool if it raised an alarm.

Last edited:
The ads are a moot point all you need is a mod or a crack problem solved. Good day everyone. I thought we were over this ad nonsense when the leading in game ad company went under.

I don't like it. It makes me not want to play the game. Almost all advertising cheapens everything it touches. I'm tired of drowning in the hollow white noise we're all flooded with, like so much panicked sweat dripping from the douche bags in suits who are so desperate for our attention and money.

I'm sorry for saying this but I have to. And I'll say it here because I can't find a thread where several watch's members claimed HR will be GOTY. Based on their posts, I got the game. And honestly, it didn't impress me (except the graphics part, but I'm not into graphics parts!). I won't say it's a bad game, it's just not fun. Yes, it's great to see "working girls" saying they can't do it through the bars (in prison) and they'll take care of me if I rescue them. But then... Let me rescue them!
The biggest disappointment is that if you don't play "hide&seek" the game becomes pretty much FPS. And it's not better than previous two - except in graphics.
IMO this simply isn't GOTY material. The GOTY battle will definetly be going on between TW2 and Skyrim.

The biggest disappointment is that if you don't play "hide&seek" the game becomes pretty much FPS. And it's not better than previous two - except in graphics.

The whole point is that you have a *choice* of going stealthy or guns blazing. Most games don't even give you the option of having a completely different play style.

As far as it not being better than the previous two games, I agree the original was better overall, but DX:HR was FAR superior to Invisible War in almost every way.

I have not seen an ad in over 50 hours of Human Revolution. That said I used the no ads mod just in case, because ads would annoy me.

This shit is only going to get worse as we move more and more into games as a service.

My point is that if these little ads help a game like Deus Ex or others then more power to them. I think it's a better idea than DLC hats or what have you.

And that's why your point is utterly flawed. There is no connection between ads and good games. In fact, the sole thing that is guaranteed, is that the game is gonna feel weird/worse because it has ads. Just hoping ads might somehow enable someone to make a better game is really naive.

Deus Ex 3 is a really bad example anyway, because it sold like crazy. Considering their huge financial success it's all the more disappointing, that they are pulling this stunt. You'd expect something like this from a desperate developer, who doesn't see any other way to break even. So this is really just another greedy cash grab that hardly deserves any sympathy.

All of this isn't even covering that the game is from _Canada_ of all places, where the government pays at least half the salaries of all programmers such a developer employs (the government is trying to make their country number 1 in the gaming industry). That means their costs were really low in the first place.

And that's why your point is utterly flawed. There is no connection between ads and good games. In fact, the sole thing that is guaranteed, is that the game is gonna feel weird/worse because it has ads. Just hoping ads might somehow enable someone to make a better game is really naive.

That's not necesarily true. The more money that a game is expected to make, the more money a developer is willing to put into it. More money put into a game can benefit it in a number of ways, including more content, better graphics/sound and more quality control.

So if a game is expected to make more money as a result of it's use of ads, then yes that can lead to a better game. It won't always, but it's an extra source of revenue, and expected revenue is what funds games.

As for games always feeling wierd with ads, I simply have to point out the previous version of DEHR has plenty of ads in it and the vast majority of people have not even noticed it. But it's a lot easier to slip a reference to a real world project into a modern/futuristic game then say a fantasy game (orcs love drinking coke!).

The whole point is that you have a *choice* of going stealthy or guns blazing. Most games don't even give you the option of having a completely different play style.

As far as it not being better than the previous two games, I agree the original was better overall, but DX:HR was FAR superior to Invisible War in almost every way.

Maybe it is, but I had more fun with Inv. War than with HR. Ok here you can have fun with some new things like carrying (hacked) turrets, put in front of doors, open doors and turrets kill opponents in the room so you save the ammo... So gunblazing, stealthy and... What would this scheme be? Hacker approach? :)
But it's simply not polished or is pretty strange. LFor example a choice do be lethal or nonlethal with a bonus... The wallbreaking that KILLS an opponent is kinda lame - I just want to stun him. Dunno.
And what's with the boss fight (first one, didn't come to second yet)? While one EMP grenade fries you, for the boss you need to use how many of those? I used 3 and failed. Luckily I had shock/stun pistol and he was history after 4 or 5 shots with it without using any grenade. But really, augmented more than you are and to survive 3 EMP grenades? It's just not logical. Or is a bug.

Look it's a good game, but GOTY? Nah.

And now I have to add another big disappointment.
Because of bad weather I had a power shortage and (discovered that I have) faulty UPS didn't kick in. And PC turned off during the game. What happened? All my savegames are gone and I have to start a new game!
WTF!

Luckily, I'm not giving up things that easily, so I found where saved games are (my lord they could have hidden it even better), copied them on another place, started a new game, quicksaved it, and just copied back "gameq" file so I can at least continue from the last point.
Seems that if the game is not closed by exiting it, a file called "saveindex" gets corrupt (empty) and you can't load anything anymore.

Wanna experiment with that yourself? Just make sure you copy the saves folder on a different place first! Terrible, just terrible design. What were they thinking?

Deus Ex 3 is a really bad example anyway, because it sold like crazy. Considering their huge financial success it's all the more disappointing, that they are pulling this stunt. You'd expect something like this from a desperate developer, who doesn't see any other way to break even. So this is really just another greedy cash grab that hardly deserves any sympathy.

All of this isn't even covering that the game is from _Canada_ of all places, where the government pays at least half the salaries of all programmers such a developer employs (the government is trying to make their country number 1 in the gaming industry). That means their costs were really low in the first place.

Say what you will, but if they want to throw in an ad after making a great game like Deus Ex then go for it. If they want to make even more money on a superb game that COSTS ME NOTHING then why the hell not?

If other games start putting ads in a loading screen then I think it's about freaking time they thought of this. It's so much better then raising the price of games or their idea to nickle and dime us to death with garbage DLC.

But of course people will be outraged that a gaming company is making money! How dare they!!! How dare they think that we, the pure souls that we are, could ever be bothered to ignore some stupid ad during a loading screen. :p

BTW I know a lot of you won't like this view of mine, but my view on this has been warped by seeing some of the best developers/publishers go the way of the dodo because not enough people bought their games. The big two are Sir-Tech and Troika. If they had some other way to generate some kind of revenue then maybe they'd still be around.

So am I sympathetic to the big bad evil corporations on this subject? Why yes, yes I am. Especially since it costs me absolutely nothing. I'm sorry if you and others think this is bad, but I think it's about time that this entertainment medium started getting some love from the ad guys.

Last edited:
Man… What's that fuss about ads anyway? They don't bother me anyhow. What bothers me are things connected to the gameplay, not the "make-up".

Cpt. Buzzkill long time no see... And I've been missing you since my spitting on Martin in Game of Thrones thread. ;)

Back
Top Bottom