Quantcast
Game Prices Aren't Dropping - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Game Prices Aren't Dropping

Default Game Prices Aren't Dropping

June 19th, 2017, 14:46
Well, one problem with pricing is that it doesn't reflect the work or the effort poured into the games.

If there was a way to automatically generate a price based on, say, manhours and budget - maybe it would go some way to create a fair price point.

Certainly, I think lower prices are adequate since piracy has become not only relatively rare - but scene releases are also delayed a few days or weeks, where they used to happen before the street date.

Beyond that, we have digital distribution which really should have cut costs a LOT since there's nothing physical involved - and documentation is rare.

Funny thing, though, is that the price itself can generate more revenue by being both higher and lower than the norm. It's like an evolved strategy game to market and price your products correctly.

NewDArt

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 19th, 2017, 19:20
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Well, one problem with pricing is that it doesn't reflect the work or the effort poured into the games.
Left-out handbooks ?
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 19th, 2017, 21:23
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Assuming Kordanor is correct, then Paradox should have stated their price increase is due to the game prices here being too low when compared to the rest of the world INSTEAD OF saying the reason is to match the blah-blah-blah purchasing power, when we know that is not true.

On the other hand, since 9th June 2017 Bethesda reduced the prices of Fallout 4, Doom and Dishonored 2 on Steam and Nuuvem. I found this article (in Portuguese only, but the article is not lenghty ) which contains a table showing the old and the new prices (in BRL) of those games. The original prices, all of them BRL 229.99, were way higher than the USD price.
Just checked the european F4 price which also dropped to 30€ (from probably 50 or 60€), so it was probably a global thing.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Vision
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

June 23rd, 2017, 02:22
Paradox will rollback the recent pricing change

Bad PR is always bad PR. Damage was done and now they're rolling prices back. Only after the current Steam Summer Sale, of course, but anyway…
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2017, 04:07
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Sales of digital goods in a digital age is a different game. Total return on sales of one-half million digital units at 80 dollars or euros each, doesn't come close to the returns from sales of 5 to 10 million digital units at 40-60 dollars or euros each.

__

RPGFool

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2017, 21:34
I still buy most of my games when they are on sale. Some of the steam sales are amazing, and I've picked up many games at 50-80% off. There is a recent game I'm interested in, a first person shooter updated edition called Bulletstorm, but they are trying to charge the ridiculous price of $50 for it. Right now, just checked, and its on sale for $35. Still not cheap enough. I won't buy it until its around $20 or cheaper.

A game that was AAA and is on a good sale right now is the latest Tomb Raider game, originally $60, now $24 -- 60% off.

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Game Prices Aren't Dropping