Quantcast
The TV Series discussion thread - Page 144 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

November 1st, 2017, 12:28
I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Stranger Things 2, but I like it so far. The slower pace doesn't bother me at all.

I actually think that the nostalgia element is not all that significant to the enjoyment. I think the aesthetic side of it - the direction, photography, sound design - are just in a league of their own, creating a strong sense of place, and a world that draws you in. It may be that the period element has led them to give extra focus to that aspect, and raised the quality, but I think their work could be equally effective in another setting.

The writing, in terms of plot, is nothing special (and wasn't in the first one, either.) But the dialog is very human, and the characters are strong. I also like that these characters are generally nice, if flawed, people, trying to do their best. It makes a very welcome change from the grinding cynicism and cruelty that typifies a lot of TV drama.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 1st, 2017, 15:13
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Stranger Things 2, but I like it so far. The slower pace doesn't bother me at all.
I'll be curious to hear what you thought about it after you've seen all 9 episodes. Imo, it gets stronger as it goes on, and the third act is where it's really at.

There was one thing I definitely didn't like, but thankfully it wasn't focused on much. A certain plot device that had a touch of Jar Jar Binks to it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 1st, 2017, 16:26
We've watched the first four episodes of series two on Stranger Things, and enjoying it just as much as the first series. An episode on the night of Halloween was just perfect .

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 1st, 2017, 17:09
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
There was one thing I definitely didn't like, but thankfully it wasn't focused on much. A certain plot device that had a touch of Jar Jar Binks to it.
Oh dear Lord… don't tell me D'Art is going to grow up to be Jar Jar Binks! No, actually don't tell me. I must learn for myself.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

November 1st, 2017, 21:35
So I pretty much caught up with all of The Good Place. Season two is still airing on NBC. The great news is that it is again, only a 13 episode season, (currently in episode 7) so there will be no fluff just straight to arc story telling.

The show has pretty much reaffirmed my faith in episodic situational comedies. Good writers with good acting talent all going in one direction, kinda. If you haven't seen the show jump in at the very beginning. If you liked Park and Recreation you should love this show. It's hard to specifically talk about the show itself because it takes so many surprising twists, that for me were mostly unexpected.

Thanks Carny for the heads up. . . I'll pay you back . . . in the good place (?)

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2017, 20:40
My current favorite TV show The Orville has been renewed for a second season, praise our lord Avis!

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

November 2nd, 2017, 23:18
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
My current favorite TV show The Orville has been renewed for a second season, praise our lord Avis!
I'm just a couple of episodes in and it's not bad but needs to get a lot better to call it my favorite. People compare it all the time to Star trek. I can see that of course, though for me it has more of a hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy vibe than anything else.

Especially the zoo episode.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2017, 01:30
I've started to like Orville a bit more, but I still don't think it's all that great. The latest episode put me in mind of a toothless Black Mirror knockoff. I'm kind of surprised it got renewed, but I certainly prefer it to Discovery, which I'm starting to find unwatchable.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

November 3rd, 2017, 02:34
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I've started to like Orville a bit more, but I still don't think it's all that great. The latest episode put me in mind of a toothless Black Mirror knockoff. I'm kind of surprised it got renewed, but I certainly prefer it to Discovery, which I'm starting to find unwatchable.
The episode "Majority Rule" was written before Black Mirror season 3, and inspired by the 2015 book So you've been publicly shamed.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

November 3rd, 2017, 02:48
The episode "Majority Rule" was written before Black Mirror season 3, and inspired by the 2015 book So you've been publicly shamed.
It may well have been. My charge isn't that it's plagiarism - it's that it reminded me of a poor man's Black Mirror episode. I thought the humor of the guy 'grinding' on the statue was painfully unfunny, and everything else was obvious and predictable.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

November 3rd, 2017, 03:22
While I totally agree with you, that is the Seth McF style!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

November 3rd, 2017, 20:17
Good News! CBS is rebooting The Twilight Zone. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/…ess/827799001/)
Bad News! It'll be exclusive (in the US at least) for CBS All Access.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

November 3rd, 2017, 23:25
I haven't watched any TV in years,minus a little Cardinals baseball, but I was gonna watch Star Trek till I read about the all access shenanigans.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2017, 23:49
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I haven't watched any TV in years,minus a little Cardinals baseball, but I was gonna watch Star Trek till I read about the all access shenanigans.
I think it's worth watching if you're a fan of Star Trek in general. I wouldn't pay to access it though. I'm not ashamed to say that I've used other means to watch it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 4th, 2017, 00:05
Majority Rule was really quite good, though not as good as the Black Mirror episode with the killer bee-bots. Have no desire whatsoever to watch the new ST series knowing that it can't do the type of ironic humor I love and that it will be completely lame compared to The Orville.

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 4th, 2017, 02:07
I grew tired of The Orvile after the first four episodes and never went back. Discovery, while probably not as good as any of the previous ST series, is still far more entertaining to me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 4th, 2017, 02:35
Just watched the last episode of The Orville "Into the Fold", wow, just wow, loved it. Probably my favorite episode so far and that's saying a lot.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

November 4th, 2017, 11:15
Lord of the rings TV show possible

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv…-works-1054978

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio
+1:

November 4th, 2017, 13:04
I'm liking Discover so far, with some minor reservations. Orville seems cheap and low-brow, and incorporates the boring-est aspects of TNG and Voyager. No thanks.

Dilvish

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 4th, 2017, 15:02
Good News! CBS is rebooting The Twilight Zone. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/…ess/827799001/)
Bad News! It'll be exclusive (in the US at least) for CBS All Access.
Produced by Jordan Peele, no less. Peele, of course, did the creative and unusual Get Out (2017) which means that it probably won't be a hit since folks seem to just want the same old thing and not something different, if most of the posters on this forum are any indication, who only seem to be able to relate to things like yet another Star Trek series or a prospective Lord of the Rings teevee show

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread