Darker themed games

How about Pathologic?
Haven't tried it myself but it's definitely on my "todo list".

That game is strange. Highly recommended, if you can live with the lousy translation.

I would also recommend The Void & Knock, Knock, by the same developer. Two very different games (and they are also in turn very different compared to Pathologic). Both are very dark though, both in theme & aesthetics, but also quite interesting. I guess both are a bit "love it or hate it" though.

Also, when you get bored of dark & gloomy, you can try their least strange game, Cargo! The Quest for Gravity, where you kick naked dwarves called Buddies, in order to extract fun, which is the only thing that has enough weight to cause gravity, so that you can call down things from the sky which has floated away. Says something about the company when that is their most "normal" game ;)

The developers said that they will be going to go to Kickstarter this year to re-make the game properly.

Keep us posted if you hear any further news about that. I really liked the atmosphere in Pathologic, but the translation was so bad that I didn't know wtf was going on most of the time.

Oh good to know. I've been looking at pathologic before but haven't gotten around to it yet. If it's due for a remake I'll most definitely consider kickstarting it.

I can recommend "Lone Survivor".
It's amazing what atmosphere this small pixelart gem can generate.
You are playing a survivor after a plague which turned almost everyone into zombies.
But you are also mentally ill…you have weird dreams and need to take drugs. You don't really know what is real out there and what isn't. And while you never do any active decisions the ending is based on what you did during the game…did you eat dog food? Probably not so good.
With 6 hours of playtime it's rather short. But it also shouldn't be longer because the gameplay mechanics itself aren't really that well. But if you are looking for a great atmosphering kick, this game is it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBSVk4-SRT0

Back
Top Bottom