DA:O Dragon Age Origins Mods and new Quests

Dragon Age: Origins

buckaroobonzai

VR nomad
You can get Dragon Age for really cheap these days with online sales now and then.

So I found some mods that completel change many aspects of the game, from gameplay to atmosphere on the Dragon Age Nexus site. Anyone use the mods on ther and are they a substantial improvement?

Also, anyone know of any good new quests and missions both for the original campaign as well as newstandalone moduules and where to find them

I'm interested in this info too. I got DA1 complete and DA2 recently (I had already finished DA1 vanilla when it was released), so I'm considering replaying DA1 now with all DLC, and if there is a good mod out there that further changes the game so it doesnt' feel like a repeat of my first playthrough, that'd be swell.

Why would you skip the DLC on your first playthrough?

Also, a majority of the DAO addons are post-game content.

I haven't played in ages, but off the top of my head some of the more "core" mods:

1)Detailed Tooltips
2)Morrigan Restoration Patch
3)Skip the Fade
4)No follower auto level

As far as fluff mods, some of which I didn't really get around to trying but seemed interesting nonetheless,

CharGenMorph Compiler - basically allows you to grab all the Character Gen mods you like(and from what I've seen there are quite a few) and then when executed the compiler searches your install folders(sub-directories too) and merges the multiple chargenmorphcfg.xml files into a single file. Thus all the character altering cosmetic files play nice.

Dragon Age Class and Specialization Pack - Created by Offkorn(VtMB P&P mod creator)

I'm sure there were others but that is all I can think of at the moment...

Why would you skip the DLC on your first playthrough?
My first playthrough was when the game was brand new so no DLC (besides I'm an enemy of buying DLCs). But in a recent Steam sale I bought DA1 with all DLC included (plus DA2 which I never played) so I'll be playing it again, but I don't like repeating stuff, so if there's a mod that changes things, I'm all for it.

I haven't played in ages, but off the top of my head some of the more "core" mods:

1)Detailed Tooltips
2)Morrigan Restoration Patch
3)Skip the Fade
4)No follower auto level

As far as fluff mods, some of which I didn't really get around to trying but seemed interesting nonetheless,

CharGenMorph Compiler - basically allows you to grab all the Character Gen mods you like(and from what I've seen there are quite a few) and then when executed the compiler searches your install folders(sub-directories too) and merges the multiple chargenmorphcfg.xml files into a single file. Thus all the character altering cosmetic files play nice.

Dragon Age Class and Specialization Pack - Created by Offkorn(VtMB P&P mod creator)

I'm sure there were others but that is all I can think of at the moment…

So not really any big quest mods available?

Any mods that add needs/survival features (hunger, thirst, wounds, etc.) or expand the crafting?

DA2 on steam???

It was on Steam for a bit when it first launched but was pulled.

Anyhow, I meant to post some links but I forgot. There's a few useful mods out there!

This is a great post http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/7438366/6#8119174 that lists off all the current mods. Qwinn had a fix-pack but a patch broke it, I don't suggest using it because it breaks things now. Pretty much everything in this post is pretty good though.

I like this font mod: http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/73 for readability.
Improved Atmosphere is cool: http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/577
This is the texture pack of choice: http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/15

That's all I know. I know there's a lot of adventures and quests on the nexus site there but I haven't played 'em. I meant to! But something shiny distracted me.

You can take your Steam CD key and activate it on Origin, if you want. Then you can jam it full of whatever DLC you have Bioware points for.

So not really any big quest mods available?

There are some that integrate into the main campaign and a few that are standalone, though I'm not really sure if they're worth mentioning(only tried a couple)…

Quests and Legends
Dark Times Act I
Alley of Murders
Tombs of the Undead

The following authors have multiple submissions:
dragonagefun, Smundell, Mengtzu

Some upcoming mods that are still in development, and seem promising given their authors have been working on them for some time:

Thirst by Sea from RPGCodex.
The Rose of Eternity
Shattered War
BG2 Redux

There are others on BSN and DANexus, so check em out if you want… Again, it has been some time since I played DAO, but the two mods I tried out were Dark Times and Quests & Legends. Unfortunately I just can't remember enough to comment one way or the other on whether they were enjoyable.

Any mods that add needs/survival features (hunger, thirst, wounds, etc.) or expand the crafting?

Not that I'm aware of. I take that back, there is at least one mod that affects crafting(I never tried it out myself):

The winter forge

Last edited:
There are plenty of mods but sadly not to many mods that add content. The modders didn't like the toolset like neverwinter.

MasterKromm listed them all and not all of them are good. Rose of Eternity looks good because its a sequel to two of my best nwn mods.

I've always wanted to play Rose of Eternity but I never got it working properly (NWN)! :( Wish it did... looked so interesting.

@ Couchpotato

Yeah, it is unfortunate that DA:O's toolset failed to attract the following of both NWN1 + 2…

As far as the quality of the (quest) mods themselves, I hate to be critical of them since I know the mod authors put in a lot of work and effort. So I try not to comment…

Back
Top Bottom