Drakensang - Review @ IGN

It is scientifically proven I indeed do have impeccable taste when it comes to crpgs and other people have very, very poor taste. Point in fact: I like only the good ones, and the bad ones sell like hot-cakes to the people without impeccable taste. Tell me your top 10 favorites, and if it matches mine exactly you might have impeccable taste also.

It is scientifically proven I indeed do have impeccable taste when it comes to crpgs and other people have very, very poor taste. Point in fact: I like only the good ones, and the bad ones sell like hot-cakes to the people without impeccable taste. Tell me your top 10 favorites, and if it matches mine exactly you might have impeccable taste also.

I have a better idea - since you are claiming impeccable taste, why don't you tell us the 'Best 10 cRPG's EVER' - since if they are your top 10 they must be the best based on your own claims. ;)

cop-out. Give us the Top10. ;)

Maybe the problem is what you mentioned, mana recovers too fast? I don't know how the PnP version works,

A normal caster recovers 1d6 of mana per night (plus one for a succeeded intuition test)! So mana recovery in this game is about 1000 times faster ;)
You can boost your recovery with passive and permanent special abilities, which cost you Exp. This way you can get up to a fixed regeneration rate of about 10 mana per night (plus the eventual one for the intuition test). Same goes for health (difference being a constitution test).
You can also sacrifice about 8 hours of ingame time to meditate, but I'm not sure how much mana that gives you.

@Unregistered:
The top-down "Flight Simulators" like in Jade Empire are called "Shoot 'em Ups" or "Shmups", or you can call them vertical/horizontal scrollers (awesome Genre by the way). But they are certainly not flight simulators.

I would have liked a full character creation, too. But I didn't expect them to build in ca. 15 races, 40 cultures, 200 professions (many with variants) on their 2 million budget and still make every of the millions of combinations playable (or even only those that make sense). We'll see how much of a free character creation they'll have in Demonicon. They'll probably only have standard races and cultures, and mostly combat- and magic-oriented professions. Which I'm okay with.

Full character creation was never planned after the time development of Drakensang was made public.

I had feared so, as I was talking ... Well, I mentioned it often enough, I think. ;)

What still bugs me is that they never intended kind of an "NLT 2.0".

Either the costs for a "modern graphics game" were too demanding, or they had planned to not incorporate mentally challenging aspects into the game in the first place.

When I look at the PC gaming area, I often feel like someone who wants to read the FAZ, but is presented the BILD instead.

I had feared so, as I was talking ... Well, I mentioned it often enough, I think. ;)

What still bugs me is that they never intended kind of an "NLT 2.0".

Either the costs for a "modern graphics game" were too demanding, or they had planned to not incorporate mentally challenging aspects into the game in the first place.

When I look at the PC gaming area, I often feel like someone who wants to read the FAZ, but is presented the BILD instead.

1. Well, many aspects of the NLT (a.k.a. Realms of Arkania) don't translate that easily into a 3D engine. Climbing in RoA? Just a textbox that will appear under certain situations. Simple. In a 3D engine? It would require a lot of work on the engine, the physics, map design, etc. The tavern money-gainer skills dancing, acrobatics and cheating? In RoA a simple textbox. In a 3D engine? A lot of animations to do extra, unless you also want to go with a text box, which will quite probably seem out of place in a otherwise fully 3D game. And so on...

2. What was so mentally challenging about the micromanagement aspects in RoA? They were mostly nuisances. Yes, sometimes fun too, but never mentally challenging.

3. Why would one want to read a pseudo-intellectual conservative newspaper? Yes, it is better than a right-wing populist conservative tabloid, but why would one want to read it in the first place? :biggrin:

I think Oblivion is definitely the best RPG ever made, and Super Mario RPG is a close 2nd.

I can already tell that he'll probably crucify you for your No. 1, and laugh about your obscure No. 2.
But Oblivion, seriously? Oblivion might be the best Exploration Game ever made, but as a Roleplaying (!) Game it fails in so many respects...
There is virtually no roleplaying in Oblivion at all, or at least not more then in many other games that are not regarded RPGs.
Don't get me wrong. I loved Oblivion. That is: I loved the exploration, doing the odd casual quest here and there (when I was passing anyway). But actually playing the thing seriously, with completing the boring quest-chains or the horrendous main-quest? No, thanks.
The good thing about it is: From exploration alone, and from doing a small fracture of the quests, you already get your money's worth (when you compare it with the length of other games).

Everyone (in their own mind) has "impeccable" taste. ;)

Beat me to this....

how many here have played star trail in the last little while? I have, not many meaningful choices to be made for roleplaying(this was not the games strong point). It did have decent combat, but even for its time it had dated graphics.

The good thing about it is: From exploration alone, and from doing a small fracture of the quests, you already get your money's worth (when you compare it with the length of other games).

I disagree. Graphics demos are not worth my money, in my humble opinion.

Hmmm I gotta say I got to a cathedral in the main city and it has to be one of the best looking cathedrals I have seen in a game....it sure gives a sense of awe in it. I 'm really enjoying this game, sure it could do character gen a bit better but its a solid game.

I had my first 'game over' last night, didn't know freaking rats could take so many hits! It's starting to feel 'not so easy' now, maybe it's a sign of (good) things to come.

heh I died my first time facing a rather specail wolf ;)

It's more a sign of you doing things you shouldn't be doing now. ;)

2. What was so mentally challenging about the micromanagement aspects in RoA? They were mostly nuisances. Yes, sometimes fun too, but never mentally challenging.

I don't get it why so many people saw it as a nuisance.

The "challenging" part in my opinion was the planning.

I don't get it why so many people saw it as a nuisance.

The "challenging" part in my opinion was the planning.

To prevent misunderstandings: When I called these elements a nuisance, I did not meant to imply that I don't like them. Actually I love Blade of Destiny for its 'travelling adventurers simulation' parts.

I just wanted to say that these parts are in no way mentally challenging, the planning aspect is quite clear, if you know how the game works. It's not the case that the rationing of food, the buying of crucial equipment or the marching route planning confront you with serious decisions or even dilemmas.

Back
Top Bottom