Non-RPG General News - Visceral Games

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted the story behind the closure of Visceral Games at Kotaku:

The Collapse Of Visceral's Ambitious Star Wars Game

It seemed like a surefire hit: a Star Wars take on Uncharted, published by Electronic Arts and developed by the longrunning studio Visceral Games. But nothing is sure in the video game industry, and on October 17, 2017, when employees of Visceral were told that the company would be closing, some who had worked for the studio found themselves unsurprised. In many people’s eyes, doom was inevitable.
Visceral Games, based in San Francisco, had been an odd fit at EA for several years now. First founded in 1998 as EA Redwood Shores, the studio developed a mishmash of assorted games in the 2000s before finally finding an identity with a horror-action-adventure series called Dead Space. After three Dead Space games (and a couple of spin-offs), the company went on to make the first-person shooter Battlefield Hardline, which came out in 2015.
[...]
More information.

Great read.

It may help people understand the complexity of game developing and that there is more to it than blaming "evil EA".

When they are ambitious. The crowdfunded scene affords a regressive pattern.

Chien's communication skills have been improving in leaps and bounds recently, don't be too discouraging. I've been agreeing with him quite lot in the past couple of weeks now that I understand what he's talking about. I must admit, in this instance I have no idea, but then I can read stuff from anyone where I haven't a clue what they're on about.

Back
Top Bottom