Anime Discussion Thread

Finally if you didn't know all three ONA episodes of King's Avatar are legally available on youtube with english subs.

What happened to the artstyle????? Everyone looks different.

edit: Now I need more episodes!!!!

Last edited:
ONA episodes were made by a different studio.

You might like Grand Blue, despite the preview of peaceful diving in the ocean and super gay dudes, it's about college students alcohol binge drinking adventures from what I've read from people who read the manga.

Didn't you watch Japanese Ghost stories? Yami Shibai 6 is the 6th seasons of that.

I heard good stuff about Island (2 episodes already out), but I haven't checked it out yet.

Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger is by P.A. Works. They made some anime that I liked (Canaan and Kuromukuro). If one anime with vampires wasn't enough, there is also Phantom in the Twilight too (preview makes it look plot-heavy). Both are original anime so no source material to judge what they are going to be like, I'm going to check the first episode at least.

As a matter of fact I was looking at starting another anime show as it has been awhile. I see Netflix has like 20 new ones so suggestions are welcome.

In the meantime I just picked one without looking at opinions or reviews: your lies in April. It is about a teenager who is a masterful piano player, but lost his ability to play since his mother died. So it is about him overcoming his fears of playing.

It is a lot of (teenager) drama and emotional stuff so it is not for everyone, there is also a lot of the typical Japanese drawing style when people are angry, etc. But damn it, I want to know who wins the piano contest :) there is also a darker and more mature tone to the show.

It made me think of Yuri (the ice skating show) which i have yet to see despite recommendations here, but I imagine it has similar elements.

your lies in April in April is an awesome anime.

If you like it, Nodame Cantabile is somewhat similar but with older protagonists. No idea if that is on Neflix in your area though.

I watched the first episode of Island last night. I think I'm going to pass. People said the visual novel wasn't eroge but there was a rather subjective scenes right at the start in a flashback and 5 minutes later a teenage girl faceplanted into the junk of the MC who was naked…

your lies in April in April is an awesome anime.

If you like it, Nodame Cantabile is somewhat similar but with older protagonists. No idea if that is on Neflix in your area though.
If you can't watch netflix, you can try with another legal stream on Crunchyroll although it's also not available everywhere on Earth:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/your-lie-in-april

I can watch Netflix. I can even watch your lies in April on Netflix. Not sure if Yuri is on it though.

BTW, think the content is more or less the same between European countries these days

Yuri on Ice?
Loved it. Started watching it because of ice skating animation, but the story takes an unexpected turn (at least to me) and for some reason I've enjoyed it immensly. I'm yet another fudanshi. :D
It did get some awards, but IMO some were plain wrong. For example it got best opening award which was a horrible choice, at least one other anime had it better (Drifters). Nevertheless even if you don't like where the story will move, it's definetly an unique show and just that makes it worth a shot. Hint: never skip end credits - one of them will explain everything.

I watched it on Crunchyroll (legit stream that covers many countries, just not some):
http://www.crunchyroll.com/yuri-on-ice

Still browsing and watching the Winter 2018 season. :)
Violet Evergarden is a strong and great anime(even if it is a Netflix show). Or Netflix invested in it. Nevertheless,a great story driven drama show. Pure eye-candy artstyle.

Yuri on ice is pure garbage btw.
Your lie in April is one of those masterpieces in the Anime industry. And Nodame Cantabile is great also(more light and positive show).
Very enjoyable. I watched right after Your lie in April.

There is really not much on the plate of Summer season. Beside AOT,excited about that one.
Since I liked the Kaiji series,this one is interesting for me https://myanimelist.net/anime/37338/Chuukan_Kanriroku_Tonegawa
Ready for some psychotic stares and gleams,with frantic laughter and crazy big smiles. :)

I though I watched only a few episodes of AOT season 2, turns out I only missed the last 2 episodes, lol.

I also went and read all the manga chapters since I stopped around chapter 60-something…and now I'm more interested in what season 4 will show.

Violet Evergarden is a strong and great anime(even if it is a Netflix show). Or Netflix invested in it. Nevertheless,a great story driven drama show. Pure eye-candy artstyle.
:)
What's wrong with Netflix shows?

I started Violet Evergarden when it came on because of the artstyle. However, couldn't hold my attention for more than two episodes. Maybe I should give it another shot then.

What's wrong with Netflix shows?
Too many are not good, that's what's wrong. For example Ajin was phenomenal while Iron Fortress Kabaneri was plain piece of s.

Apropos Ajin, it has three aditional OVAs not available on Netflix. Usually, these additional materials are just an unimportant filler not worth your time nor money, but in case of Ajin they contain crucial info on the story, characters and setting.
These OVAs were distributed on DVDs bundled with certain manga issues and for all I know there is no any site streaming them legally. Which is a shame and Netflix deserves a middlefinger for that.

Last edited:
I liked Sidonia and Ajin, maybe I did not watch other Netflix funded shows yet.

Netflix definitely deserves the middle-finger for not picking up the expanse. Watching season 3 through other means. I'm already depressed I will have to wait another year after this.

This spring I really enjoyed Megalobox with the "old school" styled art and coloring, the ending was a bit meh, but overall the show was pretty decent.

Haven't finished but so far really liking Hanamatsuri, Golden Kamuy and Lupin. Wotakoi on amazon prime is a nice slice of life too.

I'm an old fan of Full Metal panic, but this new come back to the series was a bit...underwhelming for me. Seems like many enjoyed it but I didn't like computer CG animation parts that much ...and recaps? It's been 10 episodes and there's 2 recaps, one after the 4th episode...wtf?

Ajin looks interesting, thank you for the many recommendations joxer, I always find something to watch.

Godzilla 2 is on Netflix. I really liked the first one. I'm not completely sure what were the reasons, but a big one was the art style I think (same one as used in Sidonia and Ajin, maybe it is from the same people as those).

Finished Your Lie in April. An amazing experience. It's without any action but manages to be engaging throughout (and depressing). I'm a bit in a black hole now, maybe I should wait a bit before starting the next show.

Thinking of indeed taking a peek at Crunchyroll's free content, e.g., for Nodame Cantabile and Yuri on ice. I see it has an Android TV app so I can watch things on a big screen. Alternatively, Netflix has added so many anime shows the past 3 months which I can delve into:
- one punch man
- those fate shows (confusing titles those have)
- B: The beginning
- Erased
- Violed evergarden
- Children of the Whales
- Charlotte
- Asterisk war
- Parasite
- Psycho pass (really want to see this but only has french subtitles)
- …
Hmm, I feel like watching some Bleach. Netflix ended with season 2, I suppose crunchyroll has the remaining 20 seasons or so.

@darth Cowboy Bebop could be described as a kind of animated firefly (or some say, what firefly could have been).

- Psycho pass (really want to see this but only has french subtitles)

Learn French and do it!!!! The first season is great.

Back
Top Bottom