NVidia shield 2 and Shield 2 Pro use a Tegra X1?

Meh. Was excited hoping it was a new tablet. The Shield tablet is a beast. Love mine.

The old shield table uses a Tegra K1 chip doesnt it. It makes me wonder if the lack of a shield tablet is due to the deal with Nintendo with the Switch, some kind of clause they had? Interesting.

It's probably due to their deal with Nintendo, yeah. Their latest mobile GPU will be in the Switch, I heard.

Its pretty unprecedented for NVidia isn't it? Normally they give a slight variation to the console versions and release their own version elsewhere?

Dunno. I'm thinking that they just mutually agreed to not directly compete with each other since the Switch is sort of a tablet and what not. Or there could be some future plans. Who knows.

Todd Howard decided to show up on the Nintendo Switch reveal and officially announce that Skyrim (and it appears it's the remastered Special Edition too) is indeed being released for it.

So there you have it folks. We're finally at the stage where current generation (Although Skyrim SE could be arguably be last gen) RPGs can be run on a tablet (Skyrim running on ARM!).

I wonder if there will be mod support?

Todd Howard decided to show up on the Nintendo Switch reveal and officially announce that Skyrim (and it appears it's the remastered Special Edition too) is indeed being released for it.

So there you have it folks. We're finally at the stage where current generation (Although Skyrim SE could be arguably be last gen) RPGs can be run on a tablet (Skyrim running on ARM!).

I wonder if there will be mod support?

I've already been playing Skyrim on tablet for a year+. The Shield is a beast! :)

(I know you mean running natively on a tablet, though, since the Shield itself streams the game from your PC)

I've already been playing Skyrim on tablet for a year+. The Shield is a beast! :)

(I know you mean running natively on a tablet, though, since the Shield itself streams the game from your PC)

LOL Yes natively. Even before I got my Shield, I could stream games to my Nexus 7 using Splashtop (or to my laptop using Steam).

A DX11 game running full bore on ARM though... this is good stuff.

LOL Yes natively. Even before I got my Shield, I could stream games to my Nexus 7 using Splashtop (or to my laptop using Steam).

A DX11 game running full bore on ARM though… this is good stuff.

Sure is! I'm going to get a Switch for sure. Can't wait for the Shield 2, too (tablet version). Should be crazy if/when that comes out!

Sure is! I'm going to get a Switch for sure. Can't wait for the Shield 2, too (tablet version). Should be crazy if/when that comes out!

I really hope it does well. It would really open the way for gaming on much less bulky (and more portable!) hardware.

I really hope it does well. It would really open the way for gaming on much less bulky (and more portable!) hardware.

Yep. I hope it does well, too. Seems like the Shield was a bit ahead of its time. It's so nice having a portable device like that that you can still play a bunch of PC games and stuff on. Also love emulating old consoles on it as well and using a controller with it or a keyboard/mouse for stuff like MagicDOSBox. Great stuff!

I bet my Styluus i7 Cube can run Skyrim.
It's a tablet and yea Win10 home is on it. The thing is... Playing games on tablets? I'm too old for that so I'll leave that to my mother. She is getting younger.

I bet my Styluus i7 Cube can run Skyrim.
It's a tablet and yea Win10 home is on it. The thing is… Playing games on tablets? I'm too old for that so I'll leave that to my mother. She is getting younger.

Don't think of it in tablet terms. Think of it more in desktops that are the size of a matchbox (and almost as cheap), and you no longer need to spend billions on a gaming PCs or Steamboxes, and video cards are no longer these beastly things. LAN parties are simple. You no longer need 2 separate machines for gaming and work. Laptops with ARM processors but NVIDIA horsepower means incredible battery life on the go, and you don't need half a room to setup your gaming PC anymore. You could reduce gaming PCs down to just a dock and external monitor. Gaming PCs won't be going anywhere anytime soon, but I would love to get that form factor down from the 40 pound boat anchor it is right now. And no more turning your room into a furnace.

Hey, I turn off the furnace vents in my man cave and let Nvidia heat the room :D

Hey, I turn off the furnace vents in my man cave and let Nvidia heat the room :D

I did the same thing when my in floor heating decided to stop working in the middle of winter. I recommend an AMD CPU/GPU combo for excellent house coverage.

Well, I'll always want to keep a gaming PC whenever possible, but the Shield just gives you more options. It's got a nice 1080p screen, you can use a controller, keyboard/mouse and just play things when you're not sitting at your computer desk. The fact that it can stream PC games as well is great for that reason, too, and some Android RPGs or even PC RPG ports have excellent touchscreen/mobile versions. In short, it's just nice to have a tablet that can also do heavy gaming similar to a PC as well.

Back
Top Bottom