What games are you playing now?

There isn't a single Final Fantasy game that comes close to being as good as any Legends game, in my opinion. That being said, I've only played the first dozen of the FF games, but I doubt the final three are any better than the ones that I did complete. Legends tells a much better story, hell, everything about them are superior.

I didn't play many FF games but can agree partially.

When it comes to music, both FF and Tales games have amazing OST. Anyone interested in videogames music only should pick 'em all.

For graphics whores FF games will win every time. Not sure why are Tales games too shy to modernize their looks. I can only hope they earn enough $ from PC ports so they can invest more into that part.

Combat system changes in each FF game, sometimes it's TB, sometimes ATB, sometimes realtime, sometimes mix. Tales keep their setup with minimal changes and rebalancing so I guess while FF games are trying to cover all tastes and reach more different types of players, Tales games want to please only their fanbase and "others can shove off". A thing I respect, I mean, if Metallica made a pop album, how many of their fans would actually buy it?

When it comes to story and substories, all FF games I played, just fail to deliver. They do make good ones, it's just not on the level TitS and ToSC have.
FF games are trying to create an unique and fresh story each time (those I played) yet not a single FF game was brave enough to push it to extremes inducing the same thing a passionate reader can find in good books. It might be orders from the top, it might be selfcensoring, it could be a scare of being rated M, etc.

Whatever it is, it's just sad. The last FF game, FF15, dared to try a tragedy. But as every other FF game, it's watered down. You won't be emotionally involved in any of it, it'll feel like oh I've unintentionally stepped on an ant and killed it, ah well, life goes on.

I know you (still) didn't play FF15 and I have to spoil certain moments a bit.
SPOILERS!!! Skip the next part if you don't want to know.
After 10 years people who are supposed to be best friends meet in FF15. Their reaction? Staying still, with several meters of distance in between and with no change in voice color or faces expression. A bystaned would think they met for the First time in their life.

ToCS2? After just a month being separated, first you find Machias and instantly hug him. Next you meet Elliot who grabs your hand right away while Fie jumps on you knocking you down. Then comes a handshake with Gaius, hug with Alisa, Millium jumping on you but she can't make you fall as she's too small for that, etc. The game pulls even a joke on it all later when you find Jusis and Millium jumps on him too, he dodges, she asks why did he do it and he says "because you wanted to hug me". ;)
That's just one example where Tales got emotions right making it far superior to any FF game.

Final Fantasy changing its combat style almost every single time between iterations of games is a huge negative. Graphic-wise it all went downhill for Final Fantasy after the sixth game, as far as I'm concerned. Give me blips and wiggles, if it has a good story and decent combat system, I'll throw money at it all day long and stay a loyal customer, my current love for the Xseed computer translations knows no bounds.

If you mean Xseed's dedication to english voiceover and language style, then I agree.

Even the gem VC that plays great on PC I've mentioned in another post today had an unbearable english voiceover (which didn't prevent people on this very forum to use it instead of original japanese with subs and then they don't understand why I adored the game where one of main characters in english yells cringy translated "vegetables!" all the time - well he doesn't look that silly with original VO nor subs display "veggies").
You saw what NIS recently did with Ys. Not sure was it NIS themselves or Funcom who decided to redo it as all that trash wannabe style in translation is not fun at all.

Fortunately for my ears, I disable any sound in a game within minutes, as I prefer my own music. A few games have withstood the test, but they are far and few between. Subtitles are my friend =). No amount of grunting or wailing in video games can match what I enjoy for musical talent.

Xseed skills are evident the moment you attempt to use your keyboard to play one of their translations, and find it more than adequate. I do have a controller, but I prefer my mouse and keyboard, and a company that both understands and embraces that will always have my support. Xseed games are worth buying at full price as well, there is never a question of getting your moneys' worth, that is all but guaranteed.

Man, you shouldn't disable sound in Tales. How on earth would you explain to someone what's "battle metal"? :D
Of course it's nothing and it doesn't exist, the game is full of symphonic rock, but some people refer to it with "battle metal" don't ask me why.

One thing more about ToCS2. Mentioned in one of recent posts I quite like Emma in this game as Elliot seems not as good as in the first one. Seems I was on right course, certain sidequests and later story parts can open only if she's present on scene! Two additional interesting things. Machias is not required as a party member in certain sidequests - he'll just appear even if you don't take him in. Jusis however is required as party member in the horse searching sidequest!

So if anyone needs a hint - as soon you get a possibility to add Emma to the party, always have her!

Last edited:
Battle metal is Pantera, and on rare occasion that Pantera will not suffice, I bust out some Sid Vicious. Weak and pathetic music makes me want to slice up people and use their innards for instrumental purposes.

Oh yeah, there seems to be lots of areas that need certain folks to unlock/advance particular quests or area. Might explain why it's taking me so long with this game, each new day that dawns I run around with new groups in each single area exploring! Takes some time but it has often paid dividends =)

I'm still messing around with Mass Effect: Andromeda in my limited free time.

I think I might have to lower the difficulty which is a rare thing for me. I'm playing on Hardcore, and it's more frustrating than fun in the early going. I'm at a point on Eos where I need to explore one of those Remnant structures, and the group of robots guarding it has wiped my party about 20 times now.

You're crazy. It's Dragon Age Bears all over again. Dump the difficulty to storymode so you can quickly get rid of annoying respawns when in freeroam, revert it to normal (or in your case nightmare) when in main story and sidekick quests.

I have no idea which exact robots group is nailing your arse though nor why is that exactly hapening. Some of them are not easy, I admit that. But hopefully you built tech on-techspell-hit healing passive first. ;)

Wizardy VI, but I think the single save option might be finally about to make me give in. I got further this time than my first attempt, but I'm now stuck with my mage losing health every couple of squares and eventually dying. Its like he's poisoned, but his status reads "ok", I don't remember him ever getting poisoned, and I don't seem to be able to cure it. Since the game has been saved in this state he's basically doomed.

Its clearly a great game and I'm enjoying the exploration and challenge, but having one save slot is getting really annoying.

Pongo, what happened with your playthrough of ME:A? Did you lose interest at a certain point?

I'm still playing it, but I'm interspersing it with other stuff. I played it non-stop for the first week and thought it was ok, but the story and characters weren't grabbing me particularly. They weren't bad, but they weren't particularly interesting. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more with occasional gaming sessions - the combat was good fun and I'm sure I'll be in the mood for some big budget space opera from time to time.

How are you getting on - did you finish it?

I'm playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. More on that later! :)

I'm still playing it, but I'm interspersing it with other stuff. I played it non-stop for the first week and thought it was ok, but the story and characters weren't grabbing me particularly. They weren't bad, but they weren't particularly interesting. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more with occasional gaming sessions - the combat was good fun and I'm sure I'll be in the mood for some big budget space opera from time to time.

How are you getting on - did you finish it?

I'm not even close to being finished, but my gaming time has been very limited as of late. I'll probably ramp it up over the next week and try to make more progress.

I think it's decent, but it's not really grabbing me in a way that makes me want to spend significant time with it.

Yeah it's decent, with some definite good points and lovely graphics. As I've said before, I'm really impressed with how smoothly it plays and crisp it looks on my rather shoddy pc. There's just so much that isn't quite right though. The biggest disappointment for me so far is the Kett - they should really have come up with a more unique and interesting alien design when they moved the setting to an entirely new galaxy. I'm just not particularly intrigued by the Kett or their motivations.

I'm still planning to finish it, just going to take my time so I still see the good points when I pick it up, and not just the annoyances.

I've heard interesting tidbits about Horizon: Zero Dawn, but it isn't the kind of game that will have me running to go buy a new console to play it. Red Dead Redemption the second, on the other hand, just might do that.

In a heartattack risk from "finale" chapter of ToCS2.

Passed two floors, at the end of each one were superhard bosses I couldn't rely on my previous "tricks" to beat (basically Emma shield vs spells or Jusus shield vs physical, Alisa regen CP/HP, Machias speed buff, Rean initiative debuff - that won't work here!). Either I'm missing a proper strategic approach or the only way is go totally brute force (aka drop them with AoE skills/spells to cca 100K HP as soon as possible then spam full S-breaks with everyone including reserve sidekicks).

I mean… The game warned me this is gonna happen I just didn't put too much though on that:

pic.jpg

pic2.jpg

Took a (cig in peace) pause before I proceed, next time when I play a game on normal difficulty and feel it's perhaps a bit easy overall, please don't "surprise" me with several hard end bosses!

In fact I dare JDR to try this game on nightmare difficulty. In the first run ofc, not NG+!
:evilgrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom