No operating system found. Defect SSD?

P

pibbur who

Today, suddenly my PC repeatedly refused to start, claiming there was no operating system. Repairing the Windows installation didn't work, I had to reinstall Windows. Not much of a problem, as I had fairly recent backups of the important stuff (savegames).

It's working fine now, probably a bit better than before, as I now have a fresh Windows installation. (Windows 10 Pro, BTW).

But, here's the important question: Can I trust that SSD (It's 1-2 years old)?

pibbur who sort of looks for an excuse

Not enough information to comment. Too late to examine what happened since you reinstalled but the basic boot sequence works like this: tell bios where the boot track is located (device). The boot track has to be on a specific location of the disk specified in bios. The boot track is NOT the OS. It contains a loader that knows how to load the OS. The OS and boot track may not be on the same disk and if your system is old or has under gone upgrades and (in rare instances) even with a new install the boot track and the OS might be on different disks. The boot track then locates the OS and load it.
-
Reinstalling windows did two things - it reinstalled the OS but it also provided a new boot track.
-
So to finally answer your question: it is possible that the boot track was over-written or a change was made to your system and the bios could not find the boot track (most people call the boot track the boot loader). Perhaps you took an old disk out; perhaps the battery in your system died and the bios was reset; perhaps this or that. The solution would be to boot from a usb and examine the drives as well as to check the bios settings.
-
Btw do you have more than one disk ?
-
as a side note if the problem is only with the boot track it can be reinstalled without reinstalling the OS but usually a windows recovery will not restore the boot track it only restores the OS.
-
As to your specific question you can look at the smart data for the SSD and see if it has had many errors or other issues. Usually the vendor provides a tool that will high light the specific data but there are freeware utilities out there. Just because the SSD has reallocated sectors doesn't mean it has had a problem but it could have. Also the boot track must be a specific logical sector if it is overwritten or damaged that can cause an issue but usually the error you mentioned suggest the bios culdn't find the appropriate device.

Thanks.

I didn't bother to examine what actually happened. The disk was there, seen by the BIOS. Could of course have been that the BIOS for some reason decided to look for the OS on another of my disks. Didn't check that, kind of stupid, maybe I could have avoided the hassle of reinstalling. On the other hand, having a nice, fresh windows installation is nice (and I had backups).

I'll examine the disk as suggested, and decide whether to get a new one or not.

pibbur

Back
Top Bottom