Underworld Ascendant Update 2 goes live

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Nice patch, and I'll check it out.

Sadly, the quality bar of pretty much everything in the game - including things such as animations, foundational AI, asset fidelity, and so forth - is so low as to be beyond repair.

They'd have to pretty much rewrite the whole game from scratch to make anything like a worthy successor to UU.

Well, I have to say I'm impressed by how much better it feels.

I mean, it's still plagued by a ton of control/UI issues - but it's a lot more like what I originally hoped for.

I might end up being wrong about how unsalvageable it is.

The world is now a series of interconnected levels, accessible through The Grand Staircase. Updated quest flow now focuses on important narrative quests that highlight both new and refined story and content, while allowing the player to freely explore the environment and optional side-quests.

That's a HUGE change right there and definitely not something I would have expected. I have to give them major credit for that.

They also implemented quick save/load. :)

Apparently, they're working on one more update - and that's about it, AFAIK.

I was just starting to hope for more, but I don't think one more update will cut it.

Game still controls like you're ice skating - and there's a supremely clunky feel to everything.

The UI is ugly as sin and constantly gets in the way, etc.

It's just within reach of being interesting and worthwhile, so maybe if the next update is as significant as this one - it might be one of those games you can enjoy given a significant tolerance.

At this point, I would still highly recommend staying away and forgetting it ever existed.

Yup, I had hope that they'd not give up on this game, and so far the progress has been excellent!! I suspect there will be even a few more patches, so I'm not jumping in to play as of yet, but I suspect in a couple of months the dust should settle down enough for me to finally take a peek.

£6 on Steam at the moment, is there some enjoyment to be had here?

There's some pretty damning Steam reviews

Yeah after the huge patches this game has recently received, I suspect there are a few more incoming. I'm not diving in yet, but at least I no longer regret sponsoring this project, based simply on the honour the developers are showing by not abandoning it post launch.

Well it's unlikely to go any lower for some time so I've jumped in, might have a look later

I just tried it for the first time since release, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure if I can recall another game changing that much after two updates.

It still seems subpar as an immersive sim, and it's not even in the same stratosphere as something like Prey or Dishonored, but it's come a long way from what it was at release.

They've improved the visuals in the environment quite a bit. I still don't like the art style, but at least there are no longer gaping holes in the scenery, and they've added stuff that improves the overall atmosphere.

A LOT of bugs have been squashed. The game was an utter joke in that aspect the last time I tried it, but I only noticed a couple of minor things this time.

The movement is still terrible though, and I don't get why they haven't addressed that. It feels like you're walking on the moon. You just sort of float through the air when you jump.

Overall I'm pretty impressed though. Not by the game but by the progress they've made in a relatively short amount of time. The game itself is still mediocre, but at least there might be some potential now.

Yeah based on what I heard when the game first released I didn't touch it then, and doubted I ever would given the word of mouth it was getting. Now I'm looking forward to giving this one a real chance, probably within the next month or so.

Sorry for necroing this thread :)

I'm thinking to get this game in the upcoming Steam Summer Sale, depending on its discounted price, and I have to ask you: how's the current state of this game (regarding occurrence of game-breaking bugs, poor gameplay) 18 months and some updates later? Is it noticeably better than it was on release? Can you recommend it?

Well, I prayed at the alter of Otherside Entertainment in Bard's Tale 4 last night, so maybe that will help? ;)

Is it better than it was at release, Yes. Is it worth paying more than $5 for, probably not. It's quite tedious, has no story that I could discern and is extremely repetitive. I played it through, but it was a struggle; I kept hoping it would get better!!

Is it better than it was at release, Yes. Is it worth paying more than $5 for, probably not. It's quite tedious, has no story that I could discern and is extremely repetitive. I played it through, but it was a struggle; I kept hoping it would get better!!

Thank you Corwin. I might still get it on Steam Sale, though it isn't my top priority.

Back
Top Bottom