Risen - Video Interview and In-Game Footage

@Todd
Gothic 3 had shields. In fact, Risen looks very similar to G3 in terms of combat, but I do hope they polish it a bit more.

The game is technically finished and we could ship it today?

Yeah right?

the biggest technical challange of a game is the gameplay, which consist in a large part of the combat system for this kind of games.... so this is another contradiction and just proves they are full of :B :B :B Sure that guy does not mean they could ship the game without a combat system ???

sorry if I sound overly negative, but my heart was broken by G3.

Gameplay has nothing to do with the technical details of a product besides beeing limited by them (e.g. no physics engine, no big crater, etc). And they said that they had finished the technical side, e.g. graphics, sound physics implementation. Not that they'd finished the game. And that is a big difference.

@Todd
Gothic 3 had shields. In fact, Risen looks very similar to G3 in terms of combat, but I do hope they polish it a bit more.

Yup how could I forget that I just finished it! I can dream about Severance Blade of Darkness blocking though can't I?

Gameplay has nothing to do with the technical details of a product besides beeing limited by them (e.g. no physics engine, no big crater, etc). And they said that they had finished the technical side, e.g. graphics, sound physics implementation. Not that they'd finished the game. And that is a big difference.

For me technical means coding. The graphics, phyiscs and sound is part of the engine for me. It might be he means risen has a completely new engine and they feel this engine is in a good shape technically, and they could ship the engine.

If you made a unreal engine 3 based game, and you used some of the myriad of features in it, you could say the game is technically finished before you even began doing anything, except for licensing UE3 engine.

Besides I do not think combat animation / physics / mechanics could be finished even on a graphical, physical, sound and technical level. If they did not even decide how it would work yet.

Futhermore I think control is an important part of the technical level, it is impossible this part was finished without even knowing which system they are using.

So I guess it might have been we have different ideas of the meaning of what he said: "Technically it is finished and we could ship it today"

You could play through the game all mechanics were done, etc etc, but they want to tweak things like values, add some things to the world or quests, etc etc, not that you have one very important core mechanic of the game which has not even passed through the basic design step of your process yet.

Last edited:
Jesus, gritty settings are a la mode now, a teenager trend or something, every freakin' developer yells how mature and gritty/dark their game is... The maturity never I repeat never comes from colors, gore or boobies so Piranhas are actually being original.

I agree. I'm very tired of the comcept of "dark & gritty", now.

It's as if I was painting a candy in grey colours and say: "Now it's mature, see ?"

"Technically, we could ship it today" sounds like a fancy way of saying it's in the late alpha state.

I'm just a huge Risen fan from WoR. :D /endofofftopic

The full post of the Piranha Bytes dev.
PB Andre said:
I cant say how old the version shown was, but it is definitely some weeks old. The combat system you can see there doesnt have anything to do with the final version. It is one of many temporary versions, which extremely go into one direction, to assess pros and cons. It's obviously a little bit unfortunate, beause there was mainly fighting shown in the video, plus fightingsituations that wont be in the game anyway. The final combat system only exists for some days now and is getting finalized at the moment.

And the point with the strange proportions in this video.. yes, it is compressed.
if you compare it with previous screenshots, you should notice that pretty fast.

But it's nice to hear that you like the other aspects.

Piranhas are actually being original.

From what I´ve seen, Risen isn´t original in the slightest.
Piranhas are obviously playing it safe in that regard, but I won´t mind it much, as far as they deliver an engaging story.

Besides, I´m quite sure that in addition to bright & colourful scenery filled with dirty & used structures (filled with horribly proportionated characters), atmospheric character development™ and clunky combat, we´ll also get dark & gritty story. Such are my predictions :).

Yes Todd, I agree the whole shield thing didn't work out too well. Haven't tried it with patch 1.7 yet though, maybe it's better now.

Back
Top Bottom