Dying Game Genres @ VGChartz

Part of the issue is that people want their point and click adventures, turn-based RPGs and other such "old" genres to be huge budget popular games. There are a ton of games released in these genres that most people ignore because IGN doesn't talk about them and therefore they don't exist.

You can't expect niche games to have 100 million dollar budgets and commercials on ESPN. It just don't work that way in ANY genre, medium or society.

Why does IGN ignore these type of games, these type of games can be huge and they dont have to have a 5 million dollar budget . How many console users would love to get their hands on Diablo 3 or the likes . I dont understand the casual gamers thinking on what a good game should be ??? Matter of fact i dont think its even casual , I think its the market aiming for such a childish crowd.

Gaming was always a fantastic time-waster - and I'm just surprised it took the masses this long to finally figure it out.

Can you blame them (people)? Early games like these required us dedicated nerds to progress them to games like these.

I think you can skip "genré" and speak about dying content.

Interesting viewing angle. You could be right.

at least in some areas, because I just don't know where to put the Jump & Run genre into it ?

because IGN doesn't talk about them and therefore they don't exist.

That's interesting, too.

Now, why are they not talking about them ?

That's interesting, too.

Now, why are they not talking about them ?

Because less people care about them than Call of Duty and IGN survives on page hits. Even PC Gamer magazine is now 90% focused on MMOs and casual games because that is where the people are and they sell magazines by appealing to more people.

Luckily if you like games like Avernum or Risen there are many sites, like this one, that cater to you.

It's funny how you repeatedly say the debate is dead, but every one of these articles spurs a days-long debate, not just here but on every RPG fan site on the web.

I see comments but I don't see anyone debating it.

What exactly are you uncomfortable with - you don't think isometric RPGs are dying in the sense that a site like VGChartz would cover?

I see comments but I don't see anyone debating it.

What exactly are you uncomfortable with - you don't think isometric RPGs are dying in the sense that a site like VGChartz would cover?
Isometric RPG are dying? Well VGChartz need wake up, since when it's new? The same goes for Shoot ‘Em Ups, Scrolling Beat ‘Em Ups, Mascot Platformer and “Classic” JRPGs.

All of them and many other genres have been killed by 3D. 3D brought two huge changes both linked to a graal of entertainment, immersion. Improved 3D cards allowed a better and better realism, and 3D allowed a player view much closer to the action (first person, over the shoulder and from behind).

That graal had been enough to kill ton of genres, but what weird with this article it's to fake it's new. It could seem newer because consoles had been a little late to jump fully into powerful 3D, but now even that is quite in the past, only the DS could have bring an illusion during some time but now it's been killed by mobiles, it becomes more obvious but there's nothing new, particularly with the PC point of view.

I don't think the evolution of the of last years of the big actors is about making more simple games not involving thinking, it's about not making games anymore but making entertainment. The problem with games is the dilution of interest when consumers grow older, it's not a problem with entertainment.

But I doubt it's that simple and I think that young kids and women disturb a lot their equations and I see only Nintendo with a real focus on this for the kids point of view but also with a huge worrying about what is happening with mobiles. And the casual market is also another data totally out of the understanding of the giants and I see only EA putting care on this.

All of them and many other genres have been killed by 3D. 3D brought two huge changes both linked to a graal of entertainment, immersion. Improved 3D cards allowed a better and better realism, and 3D allowed a player view much closer to the action (first person, over the shoulder and from behind).

This has been my experience. Isometric views were a great way to provide a sense of environment and setting when you're piloting some sprites through various settings. Once designers weren't locked down to a fixed camera, there were a lot more options to make games more immersive.

I'm not sure NWN2 designers did the "genre" many favors with their exceedingly goofy control schemes for the 3D camera, either…

I agree - at least partly.

Text adventures were killed by graphical dventures, this is almost the same, only years before that.

Nah, I don't blame people for having healthier interests.

At least our generation (assuming your around my age... you sound like it anyway) was playing games in a new and emerging market back in the 70s and 80s... true, like today, it isn't a very physically active 'sport.'

But consider the masses of people today, walking into urban manholes or tripping and falling into shopping mall fountains while endlessly drumming their thumbs on the latest smart phone gadget.

I'd say we got the better deal. =)

Text adventures were killed by graphical dventures, this is almost the same, only years before that.

I never really understood why text adventures disappeared. Television and movies didn't obsolete books - I don't know why graphics obsoleted the text adventure.

I still think text adventures of the same caliber put out by Infocom would be just as fun today as they were 25 years ago.

Yes, I believe the same. But I fear that I must accept that some people just don't want to read.

At least our generation (assuming your around my age… you sound like it anyway) was playing games in a new and emerging market back in the 70s and 80s… true, like today, it isn't a very physically active 'sport.'

But consider the masses of people today, walking into urban manholes or tripping and falling into shopping mall fountains while endlessly drumming their thumbs on the latest smart phone gadget.

I'd say we got the better deal. =)

Well, I wasn't being all that serious :)

I think it's pretty hard to say what my gaming passion has cost me, but I'm pretty happy with it anyway.

Never fit into the social norm - so I doubt I'd have been much better off without gaming.

I prefer the isometric viewpoint. Even in games like DS or NWN2, I find myself usually being completely zoomed out to get as close to isometric as possible. I just find it easier to manage the game that way.

Back
Top Bottom