Aliens: Fireteam - Exclusive 25 Minutes of Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZco0Da52K0&feature=emb_title

I don't know about anyone else, but that looks so generic and uninspiring, from a franchise so awesome. They've taken out all the tension and horror, and made it into a co-op shooter. What a crock of shit.

It looks decent graphically, but it just feels like such a cash grab. Of course, it'll likely sell more than the horror-themed Alien: Isolation which was fantastic.

Saw this yesterday on another forum. I agree, it looks completely uninspired.

I'm not sure if there's another IP that has so much potential and yet has so few quality games associated with it. Maybe Lovecraft…

They needed to do something more gritty and atmospheric rather than a cover shooter version of Left4Dead or Vermintide. Some of the immersion breaking choices, like throwing auto-deploy turrets, wut.

It's a shame Aliens games seem to always be mediocrities. I think one of the disastrous things they often do is make the aliens regular cannon fodder - might as well be Space Invaders.

I think the way to do it is to have your team members be disposable - so any close encounter with a xenomorph or its blood results in a grisly demise, and you have to switch to another character and try to get control of the situation.

EDIT: Needs to find a way to capture this feeling. Damn - that was a well-made film.

Could be fun. Nice graphics.

It's obviously a shooter so I'm not too worried about the suspense and tension or being forced to look at the vague motion-detector.

But I can't help thinking they never get the alien blood right. I want it to burn a hole right through the ground. A real hole you can fall in! I feel like that's the aliens main gimmick and it just seems to get ignored after the original Alien. Now in this game its just a pool of minor damage. :(

Looks like co-op shooters are in right now. I guess it's the legacy of pre-Anthem era. Wonder what happens to them in the future now that at least one has flopped...

I personally would like to rather see complex co-op RPGs than these superfluous constructions...So much money and effort wasted! Think how good these games could be if the devs focused on making good games rather than bringing in cash.

Yeah, I'm not so much thinking of turning it into a suspense game, like Alien Isolation. I think they handled that well, for that style of experience.

I'm thinking more about an Aliens style game, which would naturally involve squad shooting, and a different kind of gameplay. I just think that to make it work, the aliens need to be really dangerous and threatening - screeching and scuttling up the walls, all fangs and acid, ready to eviscerate you in a split second if you can't hold them back. I think if they are just standard enemies, occasionally spitting acid grenades to knock of a few health points, they really have no menace at all, and it might as well be wave after wave of orcs, or something.

Meh. Is there still any juice to draw out of this franchise? I suppose it's a question of preference, but it doesn't look very imaginative.

Yeah, I'm not so much thinking of turning it into a suspense game, like Alien Isolation. I think they handled that well, for that style of experience.
Your video captures well the feeling of Aliens we'd like to see :)

Well, perhaps Alien: Isolation could be the inspiration for a co-op game where you have to hunt down, set up a trap and kill one very dangerous alien, in more realistic, claustrophobic areas (so, Alien instead of Aliens). Actually, by searching I just saw this article, Creative Assembly may have apparently considered that.

In any case, I also think that it would be better to have more lethal creatures instead of making them hordes of "normal" monsters like here. The game could then shift on the horror and thrill of avoiding and evading the aliens as best as possible, fight would be a last resort or something more carefully prepared.

I'm not sure if there's another IP that has so much potential and yet has so few quality games associated with it. Maybe Lovecraft…

It's a shame Aliens games seem to always be mediocrities. I think one of the disastrous things they often do is make the aliens regular cannon fodder - might as well be Space Invaders...Needs to find a way to capture this feeling. Damn - that was a well-made film.

Was it Obsidian that had an Alien RPG in the works that never materialized? An RPG seems like a natural to me. There's an existing tabletop game, so the foundation of a ruleset is already there and likely available for a song.

Was it Obsidian that had an Alien RPG in the works that never materialized? An RPG seems like a natural to me. There's an existing tabletop game, so the foundation of a ruleset is already there and likely available for a song.

Yes. It was called Aliens: Crucible.

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Aliens:_Crucible

The only issue I see with an Alien RPG is a lack of variety. They would definitely need to create new types of Xenomorphs or have some other species involved.

Yeah, I think the Aliens setting is quite challenging in some ways. The first film was the haunted house, locked in the dark with an unstoppable monster. The second was the ghost train, introducing the idea that the alien was just a soldier ant, in the service of a queen. And both films were created by exceptional cast and crew, with directors at the peak of their powers. After that, it seems almost everyone has failed to do anything really satisfying with the idea.

I think a lack of different enemy types could be a challenge for an rpg, and I think adding new features to the aliens always feels a bit forced. I think the best way to do it would be to follow those films, and not focus too much on the aliens. It's a very bleak, 70s style setting, and there's loads of scope for hijinks with the Wayland corporation, and lots of other non-alien antagonists. Save the aliens for rarer, more difficult major encounters, and really go to town on getting the feel of the chaos and horror right when it happens.

Only Alien game that I was interested in was the cancelled Obsidian version.

Obsidian's version looks way better to me, despite looking worse graphic-wise. Of course, I'd probably choose turn-based, so most folks could probably take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think XCOM Apocalypse was a good example of this type of thing. I had fights in that game that were far more intense and suspenseful than either of those two videos up there, though Obsidian's looks to do a better job. I found opening an elevator door to find a xenomorph just waiting to suck your face or staring at one down a hall knowing you were out of moves got my blood pumping more than action-game jump scares, though Isolation did a nice job with atmosphere.

Edit: Some decent dialogue in that Obsidian video. Now I want to play that one. :p

I tend to agree with JDR13 here, in that there's so many different things you could do with the Alien franchise in terms of video-game genres, but RPG isn't really one, or, if it was, then there would still have been a lot of genres that would be better suited to it.

In that, in order to make it a juicy RPG, you'd need so much more content than just traditional Xenos that you'd be expanding the universe so much you'd effectively be creating a whole new concept that just has some Xenos in it for flavour and nostalgia. It would be a bit like suggesting a DOOM RPG spin-off, I mean, yeah, you could, but is that really the best direction to go.

I'd suggest an Alien themed Escape The Room game before and Alien themed RPG.

Yeah, I think the challenge is making the alien work, and it's a better approach if you can fit the game to the subject. I literally can't play Alien Isolation in the VR mod, because I don't like the physical symptoms - which is pretty high praise.

But for me, I would also enjoy an RPG set in that universe. Even without the aliens, I really like that kind of gritty, 70s, hardish sci-fi, rank with corruption. I would be very happy with an RPG just in that setting. So, I think if we wanted an Aliens rpg, that's the way I would solve the problem of the aliens getting stale - by having them looming in the background, but only appearing occasionally in a wider game.

Back
Top Bottom