Which is the best free single player rpg game ?

I didn't care for it either, but don't ask for a link to my review, I'm hopeless at doing that!! :)

See Mags, you're not just a pretty face!! :D

I'm used most of my skill point to try to get the open lock skill high enough to be serviceable with one of my NPCs, so maybe later in the game I can go back. However, I find it annoying that I'm so limited on what is available to buy. Especially in a town that is centered around magic!
I wonder why you feel it required, I did a full play without a rogue or an unlock spell but the familiar and don't remember any problem.

I wouldn't try the NWN2 OC, even if you're in the zone that bland piece of crap will push you out of it.
How you can judge something you didn't try?? Keep quiet about it would be more justified don't you think? :)

I really enjoyed OC but as I played it, I wrote it for some reason. :biggrin:

How you can judge something you didn't try?? Keep quiet about it would be more justified don't you think? :)

I really enjoyed OC but as I played it, I wrote it for some reason. :biggrin:

Where did I say I didn't try it? I slogged a good 8-10 hours into it really hoping it would get better until I eventually cut my losses and gave up. I didn't play it to the end but I gave it more than enough of a chance to be as rude about it as I want.

Prelude to Darkness, assuming you can stand the bugs. If you can, you'll find one of the best RPGs (not only among the freeware ones) you'll ever play.

Gothic 1 a VERY good RPG. In fact it may be the best game in the world. Gothic 2 was pretty good, Gothic 3 was a bit disappointing (mostly because of JoWood), but still pretty good. Luckily Piranha Bytes showed the middle finger to JoWood, and made Risen. It's a very good RPG too and I highly recommend it aswell.

I would say:

1. Gothic 1
2. Risen
3. Mafia
4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
5. Gothic 2
6. Neverwinter Nights 2 (I haven't gotten to play NWN 1 yet)
7. KoTOR 1
8. KoTOR 2
9. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
10. Gothic 3

Technically it's shareware but the developer is no longer supporting the product and doesn't even have it for sale on their sight (Ambrosia). The game I am talking about is a throw back called Pillars of Garendall (P.O.G.). It's a console looking RPG with PC sensibilities. I had a ball with the game.

Google still shows plenty of places that have the game for download but many of the sites are charging 25 bucks. And I find that curious when the developer isn't even listing the game at all on their site and they admitted they are not currently supporting the game. The reason being the game is no longer Mac compatible with the current Mac system (still runs on windows), so they are just letting the product sit in limbo.

Most of the sites list the came as shareware. But is it the shareware that lets you play and then decide to pay at the end? Or is it the type that lets you play up to a point and then you have to pay? I purchased the game when it was being supported by Ambrosia, and the shareware/demo only allowed me to play up to a certain point on the map. Don't know how that works now with Ambrosia supposedly out of the picture.

Still, P.O.G. was a great game

Here's a list of some of the best freeware games I've played.

Rogues:

ADOM - If you haven't heard or played this one yet, do so immediately!!! :)

DOOM: The Roguelike - A surprisingly well made and downright fun rogue to play. It's a little simplier than the other rogues, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a blast to play. Here's a review for it over at playthisthing.

Dwarf Fortress - Not really a rogue or an rpg, but it has to be mentioned in any freeware list. I was a little put off by the ASCII graphics for awhile, but once I got over that (and downloaded some tilesets :D) I found a wonderfully complex, yet totally compelling game. Beware!!! This game will suck you in and you'll lose all sense of time. One hour will feel like a minute. I've literally started playing this game and the next thing I knew it was 5 o' clock in the morning.

Angband - Same opinion as ADOM. Try it out if you've never played it before.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - If ASCII turns you off to a game (it did for a long time for me) then try out this rogue. It gives you all the benefits of being a rogue game, but it comes with tiles instead of ASCII. Even if you don't mind playing a ASCII game I still recommend downloading the tileset version. It's nice to be able to play a rogue where you actually see some graphics in it :)

Nethack Falcon's Eye - Nethack with graphics. I prefer Stone Soup, but this one should be mentioned as well.

LambdaRogue - Truthfully I haven't gotten around to this one(I know this is a "best" list, but it looks really good. I just haven't got around to playing it yet. It's another rogue with graphics.

RPG:

Runesword I & Runesword II - Had a lot of fun with these two. You can make your own adventures with them or download some user made ones from the net.

Dark Disciples I & II - Dark Disciples I and II offer something more than just hack and slash such has a little more character interaction (sorta) and puzzles. The graphics are not that good, but that isn't what makes this game appealing. It's a great first and second attempt by one guy to make a true old school rpg.

Ultima 4 part 2 - I'm still playing this one, but I'm very impressed so far. It's a parody of the ultima series (as well as a few games from the bronze and silver age of gaming). If you're a fan of the Ultima series then this is a must download.

MMO-RPG:

Darkwind - If you're a fan of Autoduel or any car driven rpg then this one is right up your alley. You control a gang of characters trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world. There is so much to do in this game that I don't even know where to get started. You can race in the arena, have death matches there or just go out alone into the wilderness (don't recommend that by yourself).The graphics are really good for a freeware game and the gameplay is fun. It's a little tricky at first trying to figure out how to work with the turnbased system, but once you figure it then the world opens up to you. Here's a hint I learned the hardway. DON'T GO OUT INTO THE WILDERNESS ALONE!!!

EUO - This is the only other MMO I play. It's basically Ultima 4 and 5 online. Again if your a fan of the Ultima series you should check it out at least even if you're not into MMOs (like me).

Misc:

Battle for Wesnoth - If your a fan of turn-based strategy games with a fantasy theme then you can't go wrong by playing this awesome freeware game. It's constantly being upgraded and the graphics are good (bear in mind I think Ultima V's graphics are great too ;))

Here are three that I have to throw in here because they are the best rpglike boardgames made for the computer:

Heroquest - If you've played the Heroquest boardgame then you've played this game. They made the boardgame into a computer game. When I say they made it into a game I mean it looks and plays EXACTLY the same. The maps, monsters, characters, hell even the dice looks identical to the boardgame. You can download tons of new adventures for the game. Now you don't have to wait around for your friends to show up to play this little gem :) I hope someone makes Warhammer Quest one of these days. That game pumped HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest full of steroids to make on of the best rpg boardgames I've ever played.

Spacehulk-Sp - Same as Heroquest. They took the boardgame and made it into a computer game with exactly the same rules and characters. Tons of fun waiting to be had for any Space Marine freaks out there :)

Alien Assault - A new and improved version of Space Hulk. I think it was named Spack Hulk at first, but GW got a bug up their butt about this game so they just changed the name and a few little things inside the game.

You guys already know about these, but they had to be mentioned.

Dungeon Siege Total conversions:

Ultima 5 Lazarus & Ultima 6 - There's tons of info on both those games throughout rpgwatch. It's a absolutely fantastic remake of the original with some added touches by the developers thrown in there. Awesome game!!!

Copperhead - This one you may not know about. It's another DS total conversion, but this time set in space. It kicks Chris Taylor's Space Siege's butt from here to Uranus.

I'm probably forgetting a few others, but I think that's enough for today. I recommend anyone at least give these games a shot. I've spent many hours playing a ton of freeware games and a lot of them are beyond awful. These are some of the better ones out there.

Last edited:
I second Prelude to Darkness. It's very buggy, but not in a game-breaking way. Certainly not the greatest RPG, but definitely not bad either.

I DO NOT however like Battle for Wesnoth or most roguelikes.

In the former case, [ed. so-called] ranged units don't attack from a distance, which seems cheesy to me. Also, I don't like the regenerating units mechanic where you sit on captured bases and spawn new units. I prefer fixed-unit games where you're stuck with what you brought with you into battle.

In the latter case, I don't like the arrow-key movement/attack system. I would much rather have action points that I can spend however/whichever way I want each round. I also don't like that they are usually not party-based.

Last edited:
Darkwind - If you're a fan of Autoduel or any car driven rpg then this one is right up your alley. You control a gang of characters trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world. There is so much to do in this game that I don't even know where to get started. You can race in the arena, have death matches there or just go out alone into the wilderness (don't recommend that by yourself).The graphics are really good for a freeware game and the gameplay is fun. It's a little tricky at first trying to figure out how to work with the turnbased system, but once you figure it then the world opens up to you. Here's a hint I learned the hardway. DON'T GO OUT INTO THE WILDERNESS ALONE!!!

I've been playing this on and off for years, and even though there's no sign of a single player version anywhere in sight, I still highly recommend it. It's the answer to the "new tech = turn based" arguments made by some proponents, and while it's not armed with the most high tech shenanigans (graphics are only passable), it is a fine example of how turn based mechanics need not necessarily stagnate, and can in fact evolve.

Which is a shame, because the game's earning less than most indie companies, and the developer is only working on this as a part time hobby, so it's got an unpolished feel to it. Nevertheless, updates are fairly frequent; one of the latest updates includes the ability to create your own missions, and another even more recent one lets players race in the wilderness from checkpoint to checkpoint. It'd be really nice though to see this get the attention it deserves. Unfortunately, despite it having received good ratings from journalists (above 7.5/10 as far as I can recall), it has never gotten sufficient media coverage as compared to its indie peers.

-edit- Actually I think phase based would be a better term to describe the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom