Avadon 2 - Now Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Spiderweb Software announces that Avadon 2-The Corruption is now available for purchase. You can buy it on Spiderweb Software ,or GoG.com

Avadon 2: The Corruption is now available for Windows and Macintosh! This is the second chapter in the epic, indie Avadon saga. For centuries, the fortress of Avadon protected your people. Now it lies in ruins, and invaders and rebels cluster at your borders. You must hold them off, or you can switch sides and join them. The choice is yours. Come get the huge, free demo.
More information.

I saw this news story, and I was worried that it wasn't on Steam, but a quick search confirmed that it is ;). I'm going to grab it on Steam now; I loved the previous Avadon :)

I finished Avadon earlier this month and I've been waiting for the sequel. Just bought it from GOG. It may take me a little while to get to it, since I finally got some traction in Skyrim, but it's tempting...

I won't be able to play it for a while - I'm trying to undue the bad habit I've developed in the past year of not finishing games I'm currently playing because of being distracted by other games - but is it recommended to play the first Avadon before this one? How "direct" of a sequel is it?

Lastly, has Jeff Vogel finally gotten a full soundtrack yet? I can deal with the usual sub-par presentation efforts, but the lack of an atmospheric soundtrack is pretty harmful in a game that is so limited visually (imo of course). I would like at least some form of personality and atmosphere outside of Vogel's solid dialogue efforts.

Yes Carni, we're impressionable around here and you've got the goods. Impress!

First impressions from first hour - it's still the purest, uncut RPG dna and a huge welcome break from all the reflex action cinematic stuff that's piped to us all year round ad nauseum.

The look is a lot fresher and seems higher res, the sound feels less cheap and will probably not result in immediately hitting mute when it loads.

The game no longer assumes familiarity with RPGs or Spiderweb stuff, so there is a tutorial. If I were being unkind, I'd say it was a bit 'baby-first' (my grandmother could do "normal" on the first map) but I guess if it stops people from putting it onto their dreaded 'backlog list' of death after the first 5 minutes, I'm prepared to accept it as a 'good thing'.

Within the first couple of hours you will encounter significantly more challenging battles ... Trust me :)

(Long-time Avernum fan here.) I have to say that the beginning is quite a bit better than Avadon 1's. More concise and to the point. More involving. (Not original, but not so boring as in the previous game.) I'm hooked. (Past the first keep and its surrounding areas.)

On hard I'm finding some battles quite a challenge. Some I will have to skip for now.

Carni works for Gear Diary? I didn't know that ;) I prefer two or three impression pieces before dropping any dough, though I'm definitely not a Vogel fan anymore. I need a certain level of graphic sophistication to spend money, but this will hit a Steam bundle quick and be a couple bucks. That's the perfect price for a Vogel game, for me.

Well, I've played for about 2 hours now, my first impression is this: buy it. Buy it now, if you've enjoyed any other Spiderweb game, you will love this one. Much better than Avadon 1, pulls you right in and never lets go. I'm hoping to get to play more tomorrow, holiday today is keeping me busy in other ways.

Sounds like another Spiderweb game I'll play - thanks for the info, guys.

Well, I've played for about 2 hours now, my first impression is this: buy it. Buy it now, if you've enjoyed any other Spiderweb game, you will love this one. Much better than Avadon 1, pulls you right in and never lets go. I'm hoping to get to play more tomorrow, holiday today is keeping me busy in other ways.

Okay, you replied. I'll buy it tonight. I started Avadon 1, but never finished. Anyone care to get me up to speed on the story so far?

Okay, you replied. I'll buy it tonight. I started Avadon 1, but never finished. Anyone care to get me up to speed on the story so far?

There is actually enough info in the introduction to have all the background you need.

Oops, forgot you weren't interested in my opinion ... I'm sure someone else can chime in ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom