CryEngine or UE4?

Which game development engine do you prefer?

• CryEngine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unreal Engine 4

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Unity

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Lawl, I write my own engine

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aubrielle

Noveliste
I've been stressing a lot over which engine to learn. CryEngine seems to have way better natural environment lighting and water, but for a noob like me, Unreal Engine 4 seems to be way easier to learn (and I found someone willing to tutor me on it, which is helping tremendously). I'm keeping both on my system for now.

Do you have a preference? Which engine suits your needs the best?

My advice is that unless you are aiming at MMO's learn UE4 , CryEngine will probably die and be replaced with Lumberyard which is mostly aimed at MMO's.

Unity might be the thing to learn if your aim is only to make simpler indie games.

Last edited:
Ouch. That was kinda hard to read, but with everything going on, it's crossed my mind too. CE is good for single-player games, but either Microsoft will buy it or it'll be replaced with Lumberyard, like you said.

I think I'll take your advice and stick with UE4 for now. I personally don't find Unity powerful enough to do what I want to accomplish. :)

I'm still *so* new, and your terminology escapes me. :( Though so far, UE4 seems to get along with my system, performance-wise. My project is still in the concept phase, but if the performance starts really going downhill once I'm further along, I guess I might reconsider my options...

Is that what you mean? o.o;

Unity is growing really fast and allows to do more every year. The community is large and helpful. It's cheaper for the commercial use.
That's also what we use for our project, Ash of Gods.

My advice is that unless you are aiming at MMO's learn UE4 , CryEngine will probably die and be replaced with Lumberyard which is mostly aimed at MMO's.

Unity might be the thing to learn if your aim is only to make simpler indie games.

+1 for Unity.

One of the biggest advantages is assets. If you're small and don't have a team, finding art/animation/sound assets is incredibly easy with Unity. On top of that you can publish it to pretty much any platform of your choice. And of course, the documentation and support out there is very established.

You say Unity is not powerful enough. By this are you meaning feature/programming wise? Or performance-wise?

You'd really need a team, with a range of professional skills, to harness the power of the higer-end engines. If it's going to be a one-person project, I would definitely go with Unity, and set the goals realistically.

**everything I'm about to say, I say as a complete noob and probably a silly person, so please realize I mean no offense to anyone. I'm like a third grader right now**

There have been some really, really amazing games made with Unity, and anyone posting in this thread that uses Unity is - I have no doubt - making incredible games with it.

Unity is definitely not a bad engine, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it - really, it's got everything you guys have said…a huge community, loads of free and cheap assets, good tutorials. I've heard a lot of people say that Unity was designed with iOS/Android/handheld games in mind, more so than single-player RPGs. I've also heard you need to be a proficient coder to make use of it. What I have seen myself - and this is an untrained, uninformed eye - is that it's not quite as easy to get the kind of lighting effects I want with Unity. (again, you all surely know a lot more than me, and I'm probably wrong) Really, I'm wondering if I can get them with UE4, either, but…

I'm using UE4 and I'm blown away by how user-friendly it is, coming from CryEngine. It also has amazing documentation and a huge community…and it's got Blueprint, which is a nice feature since I really don't know how to code anything. I really feel like I could make a whole game on my own with this engine. I have a friend who's a gamedev pro and he's pushing UE4 pretty hard - and if he thinks I can develop a game all on my own in it, then that gives me a lot of confidence. :)

I'm honestly less afraid of UE4 than I am of 3d modeling. I know that a lot of my time will be taken up with asset creation. But I really want to try this. :)

Last edited:
That's crazy, Aubrielle, for a single person. That trailer about killer baby Zloth or what's it's called? a while back?.made entirely of Unity assets.
Try small steps first or you'll burn yourself out with amount of work it will take you. It will take years of full commitment otherwise.
That reminds me, I need to start working again on my hentai game.

Try small steps first or you'll burn yourself out with amount of work it will take you. It will take years of full commitment otherwise.

That is excellent advice. And I'll definitely try to do just that. :) One of my worst flaws is to bite off more than I can chew...

Oh, and one more thing...

I'm not doing this commercially. I'm just doing this for me.

**everything I'm about to say, I say as a complete noob and probably a silly person, so please realize I mean no offense to anyone. I'm like a third grader right now**

There have been some really, really amazing games made with Unity, and anyone posting in this thread that uses Unity is - I have no doubt - making incredible games with it.

Unity is definitely not a bad engine, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it - really, it's got everything you guys have said…a huge community, loads of free and cheap assets, good tutorials. I've heard a lot of people say that Unity was designed with iOS/Android/handheld games in mind, more so than single-player RPGs. I've also heard you need to be a proficient coder to make use of it. What I have seen myself - and this is an untrained, uninformed eye - is that it's not quite as easy to get the kind of lighting effects I want with Unity. (again, you all surely know a lot more than me, and I'm probably wrong) Really, I'm wondering if I can get them with UE4, either, but…

I'm using UE4 and I'm blown away by how user-friendly it is, coming from CryEngine. It also has amazing documentation and a huge community…and it's got Blueprint, which is a nice feature since I really don't know how to code anything. I really feel like I could make a whole game on my own with this engine. I have a friend who's a gamedev professor and he's pushing UE4 pretty hard - and if he thinks I can develop a game all on my own in it, then that gives me a lot of confidence. :)

I'm honestly less afraid of UE4 than I am of 3d modeling. I know that a lot of my time will be taken up with asset creation. But I really want to try this. :)

I'd invite you to try your hand at all the engines, and there's good input in this thread, but in the end, the best answer that any good indie developer will tell you, is use the one that YOU feel most comfortable with. Because you'll be spending many many hours with it.

Back
Top Bottom