Greedfall Hints and Tips

wolfgrimdark

Follower of Fenris Wolf
Original Sin Donor
Please avoid spoilers - if you must to clarify something use spoiler tags.

Here are some of my general tips and hints.

1 - When you go to a merchant some of them will have the star symbol with the ! ques icon in it. If they are selling any quest items I suggest picking up between 1 and 3 of them. Many are one time deals and my memory seems to recall 1 to 3 being the most common number to use. Exceptions are sleeping potions. While you might be able to craft them I didn't have science skills and I found I used the sleeping potions in a few quests. Don't recall how many but enough you should buy them up. 15 might be a good number. Often if a quest requires a certain item you will either be able to craft it or find a merchant in the general area - but that can mean running back and forth to get it. I found it simpler to just make sure I brought those items every time I saw a merchant selling some - and kept 3 of each (sometimes you can buy only one I think though which is a sign you only need one).

2 - Science. I know @joxer; will completely disagree as he seems to think lockpicking is the most important (but then I think he hates not being able to loot something) but I got through the game so far (36 hours, level 23 now) without a single point in LP. What I was constantly hitting the wall on was science. I had clothes that gave me a point for lock picking (you can craft a pouch on your tunic) and gloves for crafting (as well as a point from Kurt what he became friendly). But I never found clothes for science and the only companion that gave a point is Aphra who comes later and I can't stand her so never have her with me. I finally relented last night and used a memory crystal to get one point in Science. I was so tired of quests needing a potion and spending so much time trying to find someone who sold them - or going to the Blade Alliance city to the alchemist who crafts potions by request … of all the skills I missed not having one point in it was science [EDIT: Joxer reminded me the blacksmith can craft a pouch on an article of clothing/armor that grants +1 science as long as you have the supplies needed0

3 - Equipment Upgrades (if you don't do crafting skill): In New Serene a blacksmith will craft mods for your weapons and clothing by request. You still need ingredients but he can upgrade your stuff without you needing the crafting skill points. There is also an alchemist in Hikmet who will craft potions for you [EDIT: Joxer pointed out this person who crafts potions for you will only show up based on earlier quest decisions so not everyone might have this feature]

4 - Do the companion quests! I was going to skip many and focus on my favorite companions like I do in games. So glad I didn't, especially the ones with Petrus. Even some quests that seem unrelated to anything (e.g. the arena) turned out to be so important it blew my mind that I almost didn't do them. I only have Aphra's left. Saved the worse for last.

5 - Save often, especially have a save as close to a boss fight as possible.

6 - Don't expect a lot of clues on a romance. If you really want it I would suggest checking a guide. I was trying to avoid any outside help and paid the price. Course this tip is probably one many will disagree on as I am still feeling jilted for messing up mine. I look forward to the romances/relationships a LOT and was very upset I blew it and only found out far too late to reload an earlier save (would have lost over 20 hours of playing). Now I will only be able to do it if I play a second time.

7 - Use the travel stones and campfires. There is a LOT of running around. I think Spiders learned from their previous games, especially Technomancer. Often you can really reduce travel time by traveling at your campfires or the travel stones in villages. Consequently it really pays to find as many campfires as you can (its also one of the few generic type quests - uncover all campfires) to speed up traveling. You can also craft, pass time, and organize your party at a campfire. All very useful.

8 - Intuition is great for dialogues but it also affects resource gathering. But the reason I listed it is because the game doesn't really indicate it also helps you be better at stealth and can help you sneak/go-through tight or "secret" passages (proof: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48749348208_9b3ccaeb2e_o.png). This is useful to bypass enemies or avoid killing or find an easier way to do something. Hence it is a tip as I found it not clearly explained in-game but is a useful thing to have. So I balanced charisma and intuition points. Vasco also raises your intuition by one when friendly.

EDIT: Adjusted text on tip 8 after confirming it.

9 - Skill Stones. Hunt these down if you want more skill points. You get one for each one you discover.

Don't have a lot of advice on attributes/talents/skills, outside of intuition (more to explain it can be useful for things that some may not think of), because they are dependent on build and play style.

My character maxed out Charisma and Intuition. Also maxing out mental and will power. I alternate a point each time I get a new one - so I can balance out rings and amulets as well as increased damage and large magic pool to draw on. For skills I am doing all mage related - combo of shadow burst and storm shock is utterly brutal on enemies. I also like healing and armor protection maxed out. I found the shadow impact nice but risky as it brings you closer into combat. But if you stun, impact, dodge back its useful.

That is all I can think of right now.

Last edited:
Those are great hints!
Some additional notes about #2, #3 and #8:

- science of 1 is a must after you move to the island (blewing up blockades otherwise impossible to pass through)
- science of 2 is needed in some late quests unless a certain companion is with you so don't rush with it
- science of 2 is also needed to craft ammo, but you'll loot enough of it earlygame, again, no reason to rush it
- upon reaching the island, make a science +1 armor at blacksmith in New Serene and keep it in your inventory (some cheap Naut shirt is the best for it)

Yes, lockpicking is the most important especially maxed (3) within certain quests where you don't want to kill the key holder. Spend two points in it as soon as possible and at the same blacksmith make an armor that gives lockpicking +1.

Two talents you also want are inutition of 2 (preorder item and one point invested) so you can squeeze through narrow passages in areas not accessible in any other way and vigor of 2 to jump over broken "bridges" that lead to inaccessible areas (make +1 vigor armor at blacksmith and invest one point in it).

Above are IMO essentials. The rest of talent points feel free to distribute any way you like. ;)

This means, to explore everything and have a freedom to do anything all you need is 4 points invested in specific talents. That'll IIRC be finalized already on level 13 as every four levels you get a new talent point (you'll be level 37 when you finish the game). Assuming you've preordered the game and you have an intuition+1 equip. If not, well…

Note that the Hikmet alchemist is the one you saved in the initial town. If you didn't save him, he won't be there!
I love c&c where sidequests affect the world in this game. :)

----------------------------

The hint I need to share is whenever possible, don't kill the opponent(s).
Either you'll get more reputation or you'll unlock an additional quest. For example yes I know the certain doctor deserved to die. Don't do it yourself. Leave it to authorities as then you'll unlock an additional sidequest to learn something important to the overall story.
While at it, after reporting something to Constantine, always check two other factions leaders in towns, they might have a new sidequest to give to you.

Another is that pistols with rapid fire are OP. Better than slow rifles or slow 2handed melee. Use them before devs nerf it.
With pistols you can combine anything you want, I have to suggest stasis so you have a second or two if you need to drink a pot, the rest is up to you. :)

Last edited:
Well I do have to disagree on the lock picking completely. I am over level 30 and have done the vast majority of quests and I have yet to ever have to kill someone for a key. I have always been able to either talk them into giving me the key (or had a companion with me who intervened) or have been able to find a key in a chest or laying on a table or the like.

Granted if you do not have high charm then yes odds are you won't be able to talk them out of the key - but that is related to character builds and some RP. I have yet to put a single point into lockpicking and don't plan on it - and so far have had zero issues with keys. But as I said I have maxed out charisma.

I forgot all about the blacksmith for the science item! That would have saved some time if I had remembered (and ironic as I even mentioned the blacksmith ... I just forgot he could make the science one).

I don't use guns so ammo was never an issue for me :)

Another tip:

- It is good to also pick up some faction clothing. Nauts is the most useful. I like the Nauts a lot and my main outfit is a Naut one I wear even at my high level. But then most of my combat is ranged as a magic user. Comfortable tunic is good for being a servant and you will need a coin guard outfit (optional) at some point. There are some others but you can buy them from a merchant or sometimes loot them.

Intuition I covered - secret passages and seems to help with stealth.

I debated vigor but most of the balance for obstacles seemed more convenience (except for reaching a skill level totem that I recall) and could usually find another way around to my objective even if it took more effort. I don't think any critical path requires it though.

I think I only killed one "quest" like person (an assassin) and I would gladly kill him over and over and over again :p

6 - Don't expect a lot of clues on a romance. If you really want it I would suggest checking a guide. I was trying to avoid any outside help and paid the price. Course this tip is probably one many will disagree on as I am still feeling jilted for messing up mine.
*sigh* That made me take a peek at a guide and saw that for the romance with Siora
you have to pick the correct answer when her mother dies. IIrc I picked the correct one but I'm not 100% sure.
Is there away to verify this afterwards?

Okay okay, the post I did is somewhat chaotic. Talents I suggest to improve asap:
- 2 points in lockpicks
- 1 point in vigor
- 1 point in intuition (2 if you didn't preorder the game)

That done, add 1 point in science sometime later.

This means 5 talent points and by the end of the game you'll have the total of 10. Which means you can still max charisma as wgd suggests (1 point invested only, any equipped cape improves it +1, get Petrus to friendly and have him in your party all the time, or if you hate him put 2 points in charisma and the third is acquired by equipping a cape) and more.

---

Upon reaching the island find the blacksmith and pay him to improve 3 cheap naut shirts, as you'll be using them rarely somewhere:
+1 lockpicking
+1 science
+1 vigor

EDIT:
I forgot. You'll need 1 point in craftsmanship for some quests (you can't buy the quest item but need to repair something). Forgot it because I had the +1 crafting gloves (preorder item) and later I looted similar ones as some random loot. Thus if you didn't preorder the game or you never found them as a loot, put a point into that too. Or make sure you get Kurt friendly and have him in your party as then he adds +1 to crafting. Unless he died because you were reviewing the game. :evilgrin:
Anyhow, don't rush, it's not about earlygame quests.

---

*sigh* That made me take a peek at a guide
Ignore dialogue guides. You get +1 or -1 rep on any active (in the party) during some quests. In a certain quest if you have both girls, depending on your choice one will get +1 rep and another -1 rep, and vice versa for example.
You'll get a romance option when your rep reaches "friendly" status with a romanceable companion. Just keep the one you want to romance everywhere with you, don't irritate them (you won't go hostile towards natives if Siora is your preferrence for example) and that's it.

Last edited:
Just keep the one you want to romance everywhere with you, don't irritate them (you won't go hostile towards natives if Siora is your preferrence for example) and that's it.
So business as usual. Thanks.

Buuuut... why didn't it work out for @wolfgrimdark; ?

*sigh* That made me take a peek at a guide and saw that for the romance with Siora
you have to pick the correct answer when her mother dies. IIrc I picked the correct one but I'm not 100% sure.
Is there away to verify this afterwards?

Sorry @joxer; that is definitely not the case with the romances; at least not Vasco (although believe me I so wish it was!!! I would love to be proven wrong on this so badly you have no idea).

You *MUST* chose the correct options, at least for Vasco and I believe Soira (per my friend who failed that romance). I can verify that for sure with Vasco as I had 3 choices. Avoiding spoilers I will simply say I picked the wrong one. That completely closed out the romance with no warning whatsoever. In fact the choice I did make was still positive - it just wasn't the right one. For Vasco there are two dialogue options you must make - if you miss either it doesn't matter if you become friendly with him (which I am) - you won't get the "would you like to spend some time alone" option.

I can only vouch for Vasco though as I know that from playing the game and seeing what others have written. Based on the guides, and what my friends Pat and Lidi said, who are also playing, you need both the rep AND correct dialogue.

@Morrandir; - I don't think there is a way to see what you picked. No in-game logs of choices that I know about. I only know as I was so keen on getting Vasco I was paying ultra attention to every dialogue with him. So I knew exactly what I picked for choices after his personal quests. I got one right but the other one I failed

PS - @joxer; (are your ears burning?) I was thinking … it is possible a romance worked for you because you had also selected the right dialogue choices without knowing it - making it seem more like it was simply based on your reputation with them versus the choices you made.

Or, perhaps because it tends to be a sensitive subject for many gamers, they made the romance with Vasco more difficult to complete. Although that would be odd since none of the dialogue really hints either way except possibly the last one you chose (before the obvious "do you want to spend some time alone") where you indicate
after he passes his loyalty test and you can say that you hope you will be able to go on another cruise with him - which is the correct response I made ... the one I missed was after meeting his brother and I meant to reassure him by saying not all brothers are alike - meaning he was better than his brother which I thought was a good choice ... but instead the correct one was the confidence boosting one where he was able to assert himself. I guess he needed that confidence to approach you later.

I would not have known if I hadn't finally checked - as I was so far into the game I was growing concerned I was missing something. I looked at the guide just to see if I needed to do something then found out a dialogue 20 hours in the past I had screwed up :p

I admit it's possible I just picked the right line not knowing other options will lock my progression. But it did feel as if I can romance a companion regardless of the chatty when I reached the friendship reputation. For sakes of achievements I did three (if someone wants those achievements, I can upload my savegame where all you need to do is accept the rendez vous with them). The 4th romance is possible to unlock only by playing a female MC since I played as male.

A few things:
  • Each point in vigor increases carry weight by 100.
  • Every quest that's not in the "mission" tab is basically a main quest, and will contribute to the overall story, even if it doesn't progress it directly.
  • Flowers in the wild and crates in towns respawn, so you have an endless supply of ammo and herbs.
  • There's generally no point in exploring caves or houses until you have a quest to go there. Exploring the wild is a bit different, as you can find some lockpick 3 chests with legendary gear.
  • Once you reach a new level of appreciation with a faction, a special item (often very good) will appear either magically in your inventory, or in your storage box.
  • There's no real pointing in training any skill to 3, as you can always boost it when you need it: Cloaks provide charisma, certain hats provide intuition, gloves provide craftsmanship and chest can provide lockpicking/science/vigor. And that's not counting the potential bonuses that you get from companions.
  • The most scarce points are attribute points, so either focus entirely on 1-2 attributes, or use them only when needed. For example: If you're going melee, only put points in Endurance when you have a specific armor you want to equip.

I'll probably think of more later..

Linked to your last hint - there is no point of maxing endurance because END 4 is requirement for the best armors. END 5 will only add 100 hp to your health. Meh. ;)

Linked to your last hint - there is no point of maxing endurance because END 4 is requirement for the best armors. END 5 will only add 100 hp to your health. Meh. ;)
Yeah, that's the reason I used Endurance as an example. In fact, I didn't find the 4 stuff all that relevant either, so I honestly think 3 is more than enough even for a melee character.

I like maxing out some of my stats purely for RP reasons. A great deal I do in games is pretty much against too much min/max power gaming style ... hence why I am not always good at providing tips/tricks, or discussing builds. Also why I like difficulty settings as it gives me more freedom to build a character, and dress them, as I think fits their role.

I did see some weapons requiring like 5 agility so seems some reasons to take a stat above 3 or 4. I don't know if any point in taking something like charisma or intuition above 3 or not. I maxed both as it fit my Legate's persona.

There is no effect having charisma of 4 - apparently it's simply dropped back to 3.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/606880/discussions/0/2552901289728186172/
You did suggest CHR 3 initially and it's a valid hint - higher the charisma, more effective your companions will fight. ;)

Another one. You'll notice only MC and two companions can use high quality necklaces. Others can equip only those of low quality that don't have willpower requirement.
These are impossible to find as loot but are sold by a native trader in New Serene. And to get hands on items that particular trader sells, first you need to do his sidequest.
Did I mention I love c&c in this game? I mean, I love how it punishes fastrunners at every step. :D

Last edited:
@joxer;

Royally annoyed now lol. I am doing Aphra's quests (saved them for last) and … lo and behold guess what? She gets HINTS - a little HEART on the dialogue.

Vacos had NONE! It is discrimination I say! Pfft.

Having the heart would have made life so much easier and I think more fair - both for those wanting to romance but also to scare away those who might not want to romance.

Also Fenn De Sadet the Charming Diplomat - friendly to all: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48746367848_a2b58e2aa5_o.png

:)

Last edited:
Only Aphra has the hearts marked dialogue and it's just one. Siora, Kurt and Vasco don't have it. Maybe it's a bug, dunno. Could be also a "failsafe" for everyone who screwed other romance options. ;)
We'll see if it's changed (for her or for others) when the patch appears and that should be soon.

:thumbup: for relations = you didn't fastrun the game!

So I take it you guys like the game? :)

A few things:
  • There's generally no point in exploring caves or houses until you have a quest to go there. Exploring the wild is a bit different, as you can find some lockpick 3 chests with legendary gear.

Hm, that's too bad, I like to explore and find stuff off the beaten path that I wouldn't find by just following the main quest.

How open are the zones, by the way? Do they feel big enough? I read somewhere there's invisible barriers?

Only Aphra has the hearts marked dialogue and it's just one. Siora, Kurt and Vasco don't have it. Maybe it's a bug, dunno. Could be also a "failsafe" for everyone who screwed other romance options. ;)
We'll see if it's changed (for her or for others) when the patch appears and that should be soon.

:thumbup: for relations = you didn't fastrun the game!

The heart marked symbole only shows up if there is 2 or more romance "inquiries" and once used an inquiries disappear. For example, Kurt's first inquiries about feeling lonely goes into the heart sub-section if you wait until after you've done some quest for him.

Hm, that's too bad, I like to explore and find stuff off the beaten path that I wouldn't find by just following the main quest.

How open are the zones, by the way? Do they feel big enough? I read somewhere there's invisible barriers?
You've misunderstood something. Of course there are goodies off the beaten path, if you won't explore in detail you won't find an altar with the unique (legendary) Scythe weapon for example.

There are barriers, but are not invisible - only in the mountain case the reason you "can't" take the low path although there is no barrier is because you were instructed not to (by a person you've chosen to let you through). Note that in this one case you'll later have to take that previously not accessible path as the one you passed through the first time will be blocked. ;)

The visible barriers (a boulder on a narrow passage or a fallen tree for example) are removed either by main story progression or by accepting sidequests. Which means a professional reviewer who avoided taking sidequests saw only half of the game. ;)

Intuition I covered - secret passages and seems to help with stealth.

Intuition reveals secret passages? In game world? The game doesnt mention it afaik.

Back
Top Bottom