Diablo 3 - "No Mods, Online-Only, Cash Trades"

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The embargo has lifted on a recent Blizzard press event and details on Diablo III are flowing as a result. The quote in the heading is from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, who obviously don't like some of the revelations:
The morning brings a trio of horror-news about Diablo III. I’m outright bewildered about what Blizzard have done, and shuddering about the likely reaction in comments. I won’t muck around here, and instead shall just wade straight into the things that are probably going to end up being PC gaming’s biggest controversy of 2011.
1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
2) Mods are “expressly prohibited.”
3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.
Uh-oh.
Eurogamer has a full preview and the real-money-Auction-House is also a critical part of their coverage:
The big shock is an officially sanctioned real money auction house - an in-game eBay - where players will be able to sell loot to each other in their local currency. This development is so daring, complex and potentially controversial, we'll discuss it separately in a full article soon. There'll be a separate but functionally identical auction house where players can trade using game gold.
IncGamers has a summary and Diablo Fans also has a preview.
Thanks, Kris!
More information.

Their justifications stand as they are turning gaming from a past time into a service from gamers to other gamers, with some players being customers and paying for their fun, buying from other players who will play a lot, sweat a lot to acquire items and will make money out of their gaming time.

No offline mode to avoid improving the productivity by means other than gaming and selling more than the developpers want, no mods, useless as it will open doors for players to improve their productivity or acquire items without paying for them and finally, the core: auctioning items.

Clearly without me, but a straight and transparent approach that will please quite a lot around. Wait for outcries of unfair competition and stuff if the auctions are not geolocalized.

I honestly have no problem whatsoever about his 3 pieces of information…

- Online mode? no problem realy… it makes it harder for piracy wich is good in my book, and quite honestly its 2011, not 2005… internet is massively available in the entire world.

- In-game RL money auctions? Its natural that it'll exist. If you followed fan-based sites from diablo 2, wow, etc, there's already a massive parallel market for items, blizzard is just capitalizing on that potential revenue. I'm gessing most people would rather use a blizzard-made system than rely on fan-sites/paypal transactions.
I'll personaly not use it, but if people are into that kind of stuff, then its a safer bet.

- Mods? Well, i love them for games like wow, but in a game like diablo i can't realy see an obligation to them. Its a little disapointing, but no Big wall of QQ will come out of me from this.

All in all, the game is shaping to be a MASSIVE new online world. It'll have much more business, fans, hours spent in the game, etc. I'm excited.

Last edited:
Absolutely ridiculous. Requires a constant connection? And what of this auction house.. can the best items only be gotten this way!? Just let us buy (once) and then play the game at our leisure. I don't like being treated like a kid that needs constant observation. Personally I've given D3 only the benefit of the doubt, and have been excited about it. But this disheartens me.

... And what of this auction house.. can the best items only be gotten this way!? Just let us buy (once) and then play the game at our leisure. ...

I am pretty sure its only players, at first atleast, there will be able to sell anything on the auction house for real money or ingame gold. So you should be able to have a chance to get the same items by just playing without buying.

I apologise for my ignorance, but what is so special about the Diablo games and Diablo 3 in particular. I played Diablo 1 many moons ago and it was just another point and click hack and slash rpg game, which is now bettered by many games. I had more fun and intrigue playing the first Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen than Diablo!

Moreover, and from the above description, Diable 3 no longer sound like a game but more of a business model! Also, the few gameplay videos of Diablo 3 that are available online don't make more interesting or visually pleasing than Dungeon Siege 3, so what is so special about it? Again, please forgive my ignorance - maybe I am just a very old school gamer.

I am pretty sure its only players, at first atleast, there will be able to sell anything on the auction house for real money or ingame gold. So you should be able to have a chance to get the same items by just playing without buying.
Blizzard broke a lot of promises made about Warcraft in the interest of business. It happends gradually while inital gamers are replaced with more complacent ones. At one point in the future they will probably face the same dilemma as EVE developers.

Want to make an impact? Buy games like these instead.

Well, years ago I might have found this news shocking but right now I don't really see the big deal. My gaming rig always has an active Internet connection so no issue there.
It's Blizzards game and if they choose not to allow mods they are within their rights to do so.
I don't care for the auction houses. I won't be using them.

Blizzard broke a lot of promises made about Warcraft in the interest of business. It happends gradually while old gamers are replaced with more complacent ones. At one point in the future they will probably face the same dilemma as EVE developers.

Oh I am not saying it won't ever happen at some point. Just that they have mentioned that they won't put anything that will affect gameplay in the auction house.
So might see a similar thing like in WoW where they sell pets or mounts but not gear. Or other non-gameplay affected items.

My problem is mostly that in a multiplayer game (Not sure what kind of multiplayer will be in D3 though) I don't like that its not only your time and effort put into the game that makes who you are and what you have but also how much cash you have or want to spend.

Goes too far for me. I'll wait until the always-online requirement is patched (or hacked) out, like it was in AC2. If not…well too bad, no buy for me.

Yep, no Diablo III for me. Plenty to be had otherwise with Torchlight II, Soldak Ent's wares, Triangle Wizard, Grim Dawn, probably Path of Exile if I was actually in the mood for something totally online.

If the big companies can't hack it on proper hack n' slash, the Indies will probably manage as the tools for hobbyists have reached a degree of sophistication. Maybe some of the more elaborate Diablo II mod project will continue to chug along with renewed vigor out of spite...

Wow, I never thought Activision-Blizzard was capable of this.... oh wait, I'm lying. Seriously, people? Activision is the worst publisher in the video game industry.

I apologise for my ignorance, but what is so special about the Diablo games and Diablo 3 in particular. I played Diablo 1 many moons ago and it was just another point and click hack and slash rpg game, which is now bettered by many games. I had more fun and intrigue playing the first Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen than Diablo!

Diablo is the pinnacle in powergaming, or close to it. And quite a lot of gamers play for power, they love questing for power and Diablo is an excellent game for that.

Moreover, and from the above description, Diable 3 no longer sound like a game but more of a business model!
Points one and two stem from point three. Turning gaming into a platform for service from players to others. Business model
maybe I am just a very old school gamer.

Or simply only a gamer interested viewing gaming as the primary feature in games.

I don't see why this is a big deal. If you don't want to use their auction house, you can still play. And yeah, internet connections are pretty much ubiquitous these days. So it's different than Diablo 2... did you expect everything to be the same?

Not having completely free access to some online auction house isn't a big deal to me. And I don't need to be the top ranking player of all time... I just don't care that much, and I'm guessing Blizzard is banking on the fact that the vast majority of players won't care either.

Then again, I never really understood the huge appeal of Diablo, but admittedly I tried it out (D2) for the first time only a couple years ago. I might try this one out when it (eventually) becomes available.

I don't see why this is a big deal. If you don't want to use their auction house, you can still play.

No matter what happens, operating with a game can be called "playing a game"

Of course, you can still play because it is what it is called.

Now, lets figure that a game has a level cap of 50. The first 45 levels are extremelly boring, while the 5 final levels are entertaining. Playing all way through.

With an auction house, some players might loop grind all day long from 1 to 45 while players pay to play the last fifth levels.

The direction taken has an impact on gaming, the expectation on and the quality of it. Nobody ever stated that making money has to be fun, entertaining, pleasurable. It can be but not has to be.

If one has the idea that you have to deserve what you get, well, it changes deeply the direction of gaming, with an opportunity of forgetting on working on the gameplay as long as it can bring money, if the gameplay is weak, repetitive, tedious, boring but leads to making money, well, the goal is achieved.

Still a stretch from telling this direction has no impact on the game. A direction that might lead to no longer be the main measurement in a game but how money can be made out of it.

They have to think the whole loot system in regards with the money making system, which is not forcefully the same as looking at it with a specific gameplay in mind.

Honestly, I'm from a generation where Diablo wasn't even considered a real RPG. Most hardcore RPG fans scoffed at it. Give me a hand placed world like Risen over a generic ranom-dungeon cashgrab like Diablo. OMG LOOT! Diablo helped start the decline of the genre, I actively look forward to it being pirated like crazy.

Now, lets figure that a game has a level cap of 50. The first 45 levels are extremelly boring, while the 5 final levels are entertaining. Playing all way through.

With an auction house, some players might loop grind all day long from 1 to 45 while players pay to play the last fifth levels.

Let me stop you right there. If you're playing a game with 50 levels, 45 of which are boring... You should probably consider playing another game.

Years ago I played WoW off and on for probably 2 years. At the very most maybe 10 hours/week. I never reached the level cap. I had several characters and would play online with my brother or some very casual guild members, and sometimes solo stuff. I enjoyed many of the different areas of the game and most of what is sometimes known as leveling... which I think of as "playing the game"

I know powergamers don't see it this way, but Blizzard can count on tons of players like me who don't give a rat's ass about these so-called "limitations" and simply want to play the game.

Years ago I played WoW off and on for probably 2 years. At the very most maybe 10 hours/week. I never reached the level cap. I had several characters and would play online with my brother or some very casual guild members, and sometimes solo stuff. I enjoyed many of the different areas of the game and most of what is sometimes known as leveling… which I think of as "playing the game"
Level cap required some 250 hours of gameplay. I think its a feat not to manage that in 2 years! :)

Back
Top Bottom