The Witcher 2 - Preview @ PC Gamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Thrasher sends in this preview of The Witcher 2 at PC Gamer:
What stands out most about The Witcher 2 is – and believe me, it’s a rare big budget game that gives off this vibe – is that it feels like the game CD Projekt wanted to make, with neither apology nor compromise getting in the way of its vision. The engine targets high-end systems because that’s the only way to make it look this good. Characters happily drop words like ‘fuck’ and ‘cunt’ because it wouldn’t be The Witcher’s cynical world if they didn’t. Playing as Geralt doesn’t give you the same freedom of build and character as most other RPGs, because you’re not here to be a Paladin or a Mage, but a Witcher – a very specific mix of fighter, sorcerer and alchemist, with a steel sword for slaying humans, and a silver sword for monsters. Through the levelling system, you can tip the balance towards any of those disciplines, but you still need them all, because that’s how a Witcher rolls. Or makes heads roll, anyway.
More information.

Could i stir up more on this site than the few post i have made...
Well i am going to...
I have tats on my legs that i got back in 1990 on the ulitma games...
My personal feelings is the witcher will be the ulitma of the 80.s 90.s

Could i stir up more on this site than the few post i have made…
Well i am going to…
I have tats on my legs that i got back in 1990 on the ulitma games…
My personal feelings is the witcher will be the ulitma of the 80.s 90.s

I ask on another thread what constitutes being a fan boy. Tats on your legs thanks for the answer.:lol:

Now that's hardcore role playing.

A pretty positive preview. The one sentence that really stood out to me was...

"When battle rages, there’s no stopping to break out a medical kit or cast a healing spell. You win by being better and/or tougher than your enemies, or they crush you."

WIN!

A pretty positive preview. The one sentence that really stood out to me was…

"When battle rages, there’s no stopping to break out a medical kit or cast a healing spell. You win by being better and/or tougher than your enemies, or they crush you."

I like this too - I definitely prefer a legitimate challenge where spamming health potions can't win the day. May 17th shall be epic :).

My new computer is being shipped today....
The Witcher Two is ordered...
My tats are in japanese The path of life follows truth, honor, valor, death
I am Canadian...
And lets hope witcher is the next greatest game......

Are they releasing a modding kit like they did for the first game?

The opinions of PCGamer isn't worth squat. Don't expect a good review score unless CD Projekt pay up like EA. Best summaried by their Dragon Age II review:
The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming’s best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better.

The sad thing is, if Skyrim turns out to be another Oblivion, dumbed down console RPG, it will still be Game/RPG of the year, even if The Witcher 2 is better in everyway then Skyrim. The Wither 1 was better in every way then Oblivion.

The opinions of PCGamer isn't worth squat. Don't expect a good review score unless CD Projekt pay up like EA. Best summaried by their Dragon Age II review:

You can't lump all of PC Gamer into the same pile. That review was by Rich McCormick, who has always been terrible at reviewing RPGs. He gave Risen a 65 for example when even console mag extraordinaire Game Informer gave it an 85.

I don't doubt he liked DA2 that much, because I know I disagree with him consistently. If they give the Witcher 2 review to Desslock, Stapleton, Cobbet or one of the rockpapershotgun guys though it should be good.

You can't lump all of PC Gamer into the same pile. That review was by Rich McCormick, who has always been terrible at reviewing RPGs. He gave Risen a 65 for example when even console mag extraordinaire Game Informer gave it an 85.
If that's the case, we gotta make a hit-list and put him on the top!

The sad thing is, if Skyrim turns out to be another Oblivion, dumbed down console RPG, it will still be Game/RPG of the year, even if The Witcher 2 is better in everyway then Skyrim. The Wither 1 was better in every way then Oblivion.

thats a pretty interesting observation. I just don't see Skyrim flopping though. I feel that Witcher 2 will prove to be a great game as well, and it's also coming out at the perfect time. It will most likely see strong sales all the way up to November 11th, which is more than enough time for it to be a successful. I have plenty of room on my HD for both games!

If that's the case, we gotta make a hit-list and put him on the top!

Indeed. His Risen review didn't even make sense from what I remember, I wrote a long post about it on some forum at the time. It wasn't that negative, it just kind of described the game and then ended with a 65. I remember he mocked the fact that all the women in the game had "supermodel bodies."

Ahh.. another one for my collection.
attachment.php

Attachments

• hitlist.jpg
    hitlist.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 172
The Wither 1 was better in every way then Oblivion.

Nah. Oblivion was bad in many ways, but Witcher was lacking in more areas imo.

It didn't have the same level of exploration or interaction at all (in Oblivion every object in the world can be picked up and sold or used for example - try that in The Witcher, it's very static..), it didn't have any interesting loot or customization when it comes to armor or weapons, extremely limited when it comes to which kind of character you can play (there's just 1), can't swim/dive, can't climb/jump, combat was extremely bad (imo), doesnt come with an awesome and easy to use editor..

Nah. Oblivion was bad in many ways, but Witcher was lacking in more areas imo.

It didn't have the same level of exploration or interaction at all (in Oblivion every object in the world can be picked up and sold or used for example - try that in The Witcher, it's very static..), it didn't have any interesting loot or customization when it comes to armor or weapons, extremely limited when it comes to which kind of character you can play (there's just 1), can't swim/dive, can't climb/jump, combat was extremely bad (imo), doesnt come with an awesome and easy to use editor..

I suppose this might lead to another "what makes an RPG?" debate, but several of those elements you mentioned really aren't a big deal for me personally, and as such, I don't feel that The Witcher is "missing out" or flawed for not having those aspects. I'll take an RPG built around a well-crafted story with a lot of intriguing choice and consequence over being able to pick up random game objects or go swimming any day ;)

I'll take an RPG built around a well-crafted story with a lot of intriguing choice and consequence over being able to pick up random game objects or go swimming any day ;)

If it was just that then i'd agree with you, but there's a lot of other missing or just very lacking features in Witcher though. Imo customization, combat, exploration and loot is very important in a "true" RPG, hopefully it'll be a lot better in Witcher 2, they seemed to have listened.

..and that Witcher 1 was better than Oblivion in _every_ way is just not true. Better main story, characters, dialogue yeah. Personally i didn't care much for the quests themselves or the combat, i found that much, much better in Oblivion. Main story in Oblivion was awful but it had a lot of really nice and varied side quests.

Last edited:
Are we now honestly comparing a open world RPG with a story and character driven one? Seriously? That's like saying the sports car is better than the pick up. Full stop. No qualifiers whatsoever.

Are we now honestly comparing a open world RPG with a story and character driven one? Seriously? That's like saying the sports car is better than the pick up. Full stop. No qualifiers whatsoever.

You're right. Makes me a bit irritated when people say story driven = must recieve GOTY, open-world with focus on exploring etc = dumb and deserves a low score.

Will be interesting to see if Witcher 2 can join these two types of RPG's :)

Back
Top Bottom