HOW DO I INSTALL WINDOWS? (it's a serious question)

Konjad

Keeper of the Watch
I need to reinstall Windows, but I don't know how. I have Windows XP (I have the CD, yes). Any advise?

Last edited:
What media is your Windows XP installed on? What devices do you have available? Do you have a 3.5 floppy, for instance?

Get a CD/DVD player, they are dirt cheap. And why in the world would you want to put a dinosaur like Win 98 on your computer when you have Win XP. Better yet get Vista.

There are some games that just don't run well in XP or above. Granted, at this point finding drivers that will work for '98 in modern hardware is pretty difficult.

The last Windows I had on 3.5" disks was Win95... was 98 even available on diskettes? Just spend the $15-20 on a cd-rom drive. And stay FAR AWAY from Windows ME... worst OS developed by Microsoft.

As stated why windows 98 and who owns a pc without a cd or blue-ray drive? The only option I see is installing off your hard drive with a non-legal version. That is the only way you will be able to. Don't yellow flag my post as its probably his only option.

Use a Virtual machine and install it on that. Microsoft offers Microsoft Virtual PC for free ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en ), and it works well (although there might be better ones out there).
Make an image of your Windows 98 disc (ISO creator can be used for this, but there are other programs that works just as well).
Download a CD-emulator (daemon tools is popular, but again, there are others out there).
Use the CD-emulator to mount your Windows 98 image, and install it on a virtual machine.

This is how I play games that refuse to work well in later OSs (hard to run games like Chaos gate & Shadow of the Horned Rat runs like a charm)

I actually did a similar 'project' couple of weeks ago. From your point 3 I gather that you are using older hardware. Like the others say get an optical drive as it is cheap and the easiest way to install win98.
The setup I was using was as follows:
AMD Barton XP
Abit NF7-S V2.0 (nForce 2)
nVidia Geforce 6200 AGP
1 GB ram
I used a sata HDD and for some reason it didn't need a sata controller driver on a floppy to detect the drive like XP needs.

There are many hardware/software limitations to Win98. Just the top of my head.
Single core CPU only
No PCI-E support.
Max 1 GB ram
FAT32 only
Geforce6 are the last to be supported by nVidia
I think x800 series is the last to be supported by ATI

There may be workarounds for some/all of the above.

Just to sum up. I quickly dumped it and went with XP. So far it handles the older titles I've tried and it is way more pleasant to work with than Win98.

Thanks, I've tried it and now I have another issue. I didn't respond to this topic before because ideas like "INSTALL VISTA R00FLES" or "LOLOLOL WHO DESUN'T HAVE BLUE RAY TODAY???? GO BUY SOME" were beyond retardation in my opinion so I ignored them.

Since the first post I already installed windows 98, the problem is I can't boot it because of "Disk I/O error". Here's what I've tried, ideas (not retarded, as in Watch) and explanation of my issues in detail, if you're interested:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60386

Thanks, I've tried it and now I have another issue. I didn't respond to this topic before because ideas like "INSTALL VISTA R00FLES" or "LOLOLOL WHO DESUN'T HAVE BLUE RAY TODAY???? GO BUY SOME" were beyond retardation in my opinion so I ignored them.

Since the first post I already installed windows 98, the problem is I can't boot it because of "Disk I/O error". Here's what I've tried, ideas (not retarded, as in Watch) and explanation of my issues in detail, if you're interested:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60386

Oh, so you are from that cesspool the codex, well, that explains everything.

Did you even listen to the people who gave you ideas? I just went to Amazon, you can find a freakin' portable CD Rom drive for $12, and it will work with USB. That seems like it might do the trick, worth a try anyway. And engaging in juvenile name calling (everyone whose reply you didn't like is 'retarded', huh) won't encourage other people to help you.

Forget it, I have finally installed it.

Did you even listen to the people who gave you ideas? I just went to Amazon, you can find a freakin' portable CD Rom drive for $12, and it will work with USB. That seems like it might do the trick, worth a try anyway
As I stated in the first post: I cannot boot from the USB.

And engaging in juvenile name calling (everyone whose reply you didn't like is 'retarded', huh) won't encourage other people to help you.
But what they say is totally useless and different from what I wanted to achieve, I though I was clear enough in my first post what I want to do. Buying another computer, throwing this one away and using virtualbox clearly wasn't my goal, was it?

I thank Von Paulus for trying to help me, at least he had any idea, unlike others who wrote in that topic.

As I stated in the first post: I cannot boot from the USB.

Of course not.

USB drives simply didn't exist when Windows 98 was made.

You could try it with the so-called "second edition" of Windows 98 - aka Win98SE.
But I don't remember any USB drive support for that, either.

However, there's an USB tool somewhere deep on the downloads sections of the Microsoft web site. I had it installed long, long, long ago on my Win98SE system. But that was only relatively shortly before my mainboard went kaputt and I had to buy myself a new PC.

There is a way to boot from USB CD-ROM on Win98 but it requires either a pre-boot Floppy disk with USB CD-ROM drivers. Another way is to copy the entire w98 CD Contents to the HDD and rebooting from HDD. (But this would mean removing the HDD and putting it in another computer in order to format it as Fat32 and copy all the W98 files.)

I've had to do this on older IBM hardware when IBM shipped evaluation equipment without an OS, it happened 95% of the time at T*********/S** Retail.

I skipped win98 early by moving to win2k. I never bothered with me. Games played just fine and it was overall more stable.

I skipped win98 early by moving to win2k. I never bothered with me. Games played just fine and it was overall more stable.

Windows games, yes.

But not DOS games.

WinME was the very last OS containing a DOS part.

And considering that Win98SE was preferred by most people then leads it to Win98SE to be the better choice - especially when you keep in mind that WinME was designed to actually "hide" the DOS part.

Back
Top Bottom