Nextgen... erm.. motherboard!

I like it! I'm getting sick of ATX myself. I'm more impressed with the design itself than the lighting though.

While I'm impressed at the same time I'm confused why noone else thought of something like this. I'm still googling and reading and watching anything I can find about this crazyness.

I love the concept of moving PCIe to the other side. Tons of space for vulkan/dx12 pair of different manufacturer GPUs plus any number of slots for PCIe 4.0 SSDs (and if intel's to be trusted it'll go 5.0 in only a couple of years).

The modular I/O portion is fantastic, I can never have enough of USB slots and besides those don't have to remain 3.0x for eternity if I can switch them with new ones made by anyone, not only ASUS.

EDIT:
Man, on several sites some comment it sux as it can't work in their cases… But the point *is* to use nonATX case with it!
Also, what's shown is a simplified concept, not set in stone deal or a product you'll buy tomorrow in a store, it needs some feedback that's why it was displayed at Computex.

Last edited:
He was really emphazising the "ATX is holding us back"-thing.

To me this thing sounds completely unnecessary and something for people who went past PCIe Extenders and Custom Watercooling and need something new to play with.

Certainly a cool thing to have. And certainly completely unneccessary for 99% of the people.

Yeah, the shape, the lightning are like the name, a bit over the board but the concepts and the ideas behind, oh yes.

I just built a PC 2 weeks ago and I have spent hours to choose a motherboard with the right number of M2, Usb connectors, etc .. etc..

Unnecessary? You mean more or less than a Gaming PC? :) It is a prototype. And many people would love to have a choice and/or a way to change to the number of connectors for example.

For me usb ports are a non-issue. While nearly every mb i've purchased have had 2x the number i need; if i actually ran out I could always use a hub (they are cheap). The big issue for me is sata ports.
-
When people talk about m.2 you are more likely to run out of pcie lans before you exhaust space for m.2 cards (server chipsets have more pcie lans than consumer).
-
Try finding a board with 10 sata ports these days (yes amd thread rippers have lots of sata but the price of the cpu alone is more than an intel solution with mb + cpu). asrock used to make a board with an lsi controller (not sure if they still provide such). Of course a cheap lsi card is around $80 so that is always an option and it can handle 8 drives.

For me usb ports are a non-issue. While nearly every mb i've purchased have had 2x the number i need; if i actually ran out I could always use a hub (they are cheap). The big issue for me is sata ports.
-
When people talk about m.2 you are more likely to run out of pcie lans before you exhaust space for m.2 cards (server chipsets have more pcie lans than consumer).
-
Try finding a board with 10 sata ports these days (yes amd thread rippers have lots of sata but the price of the cpu alone is more than an intel solution with mb + cpu). asrock used to make a board with an lsi controller (not sure if they still provide such). Of course a cheap lsi card is around $80 so that is always an option and it can handle 8 drives.
Its good to be aware of pci lanes with m2 disks. With my Ryzen 1800X + Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard + m2 disk there are not enough pci lanes for SSD. Maybe its better with newer boards.
Tip: I got a significanty bios boot speedup by disabling SATA

Back
Top Bottom