Outward - A Tour of its World

Such a shame this is storyless randomly generated "dynamic defeat scenarios". Otherwise I'd preorder it (release is set for march).

Maybe too much mobile phone radiation is bleaching these developers brains, so they come up with such empty SHT buckets of games.

Game looks amazing, like what I wanted something like Gothic to be after you finish the main story line, just live in a dangerous fantasy world with the same sort of simulation aspects yet dscover new places, new cities, new things to do, new quest lines that don't revolve around saving the world but just being an adventurer exploring new frontiers.

The combat system looks superb and far less clunky than Gothic 1 & 2 (or Risen 1 which I also liked well enough) so that's a plus, even if they clearly don't have the budget for premium animations and what not they have done a solid job. I love how they seem to incorporate aspects of different games in a nice cohesive manner that fits their own vision. It has some Monster Hunter in its veins with needing to prepare for the mission/enemies ahead, having aspects like too hot or too cold weather affect your character, being able to set up traps and what not. But the actual combat seems to resemble more a Souls style game with the deliberate pacing, dodging, blocking, yet it includes magic is much more viable and cooler looking and intertwined ways rather than just have mages merely attempt to survive until you can unlock the instant win OP spells.

It's not randomly generated, I dunno where you got that, them mentioning a new journey every time you start is based on the player doing something different, not the game reshuffling, while dynamic events can obviously work in a game that is otherwise not randomly generated in any way. I mean, did you completely miss the part with the map and having to find your way around via landmarks and directions given as it doesn't even show you your current position? The world looks beautifully designed without overdoing it with shitty looking caves every half mile to fake as "content" and exploration looks like it will be pure joy in this one with all the different sights and hand placed loot.

Plus you can play the whole thing in co-op, it's gonna be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq_ombKt7BM

Seems the game was later picked up by Deep Silver but the devs had various nice videos on their own channel prior to that at least:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ninedotsstudio/videos

I didn't even like their first game much, but this is looking like exactly what I wanted. Especially as not even today's very best RPGs have a main storyline worth a damn (looking at the likes of Original Sin series or Pillars of Eternity, never mind the joke that's become of Elder Scrolls since Morrowind), them focusing on providing various smaller quest lines and stand alone slice of life things in a nicely simulated world full of adventure opportunities seem like a good choice and nice change of pace since they also aren't going to the complete opposite direction of providing some half baked pure so called survival game of the Ark or Conan or The Forest or whatever mould.

This game failed to get funding from crowdfunding backers. So that show's me not many PC buyers where interested. I may play this someday but I'm not that interested myself.

I haven't heard of this game. Seems like the kind of game I would enjoy. Skyrim without the dragon storyline. Could be a day 1 purchase.

I remember kicking in for this one, and then watching it fail. The premise sounds solid, I'll be keeping an eye out to see how it performs when it launches in late March. I do have some fond Deep Silver memories, so that might warrant a purchase in any case.

It looks to have potential, but I'm not sold yet. For some reason it reminds me of Two Worlds and Kindoms of Amular.

Not impressed by the art style. I see a lot of gaudy colors and oversized weapons.

Game will be amazing, a day one purchase for me. It's a Kenshi-like, in that you have to survive in a cruel, harsh world with whatever you can muster, eat and try not to get eaten. It's taken Kenshi and put in a more 3rd-person action oriented frame. This is #1 on my most anticipated list right now with a full English translation of Scroll of Taiwu up there too.

Game looks amazing, like what I wanted something like Gothic to be after you finish the main story line, just live in a dangerous fantasy world with the same sort of simulation aspects yet dscover new places, new cities, new things to do, new quest lines that don't revolve around saving the world but just being an adventurer exploring new frontiers.

The combat system looks superb and far less clunky than Gothic 1 & 2 (or Risen 1 which I also liked well enough) so that's a plus, even if they clearly don't have the budget for premium animations and what not they have done a solid job. I love how they seem to incorporate aspects of different games in a nice cohesive manner that fits their own vision. It has some Monster Hunter in its veins with needing to prepare for the mission/enemies ahead, having aspects like too hot or too cold weather affect your character, being able to set up traps and what not. But the actual combat seems to resemble more a Souls style game with the deliberate pacing, dodging, blocking, yet it includes magic is much more viable and cooler looking and intertwined ways rather than just have mages merely attempt to survive until you can unlock the instant win OP spells.

It's not randomly generated, I dunno where you got that, them mentioning a new journey every time you start is based on the player doing something different, not the game reshuffling, while dynamic events can obviously work in a game that is otherwise not randomly generated in any way. I mean, did you completely miss the part with the map and having to find your way around via landmarks and directions given as it doesn't even show you your current position? The world looks beautifully designed without overdoing it with shitty looking caves every half mile to fake as "content" and exploration looks like it will be pure joy in this one with all the different sights and hand placed loot.

Plus you can play the whole thing in co-op, it's gonna be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq_ombKt7BM

Seems the game was later picked up by Deep Silver but the devs had various nice videos on their own channel prior to that at least:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ninedotsstudio/videos

I didn't even like their first game much, but this is looking like exactly what I wanted. Especially as not even today's very best RPGs have a main storyline worth a damn (looking at the likes of Original Sin series or Pillars of Eternity, never mind the joke that's become of Elder Scrolls since Morrowind), them focusing on providing various smaller quest lines and stand alone slice of life things in a nicely simulated world full of adventure opportunities seem like a good choice and nice change of pace since they also aren't going to the complete opposite direction of providing some half baked pure so called survival game of the Ark or Conan or The Forest or whatever mould.

Well said. The hype is real...

Yeah can you smell it…smells like to much hype. ;)

Watch out as you might get burned from personal experience.

Link - https://www.thegamer.com/15-overhyped-games-that-flopped/
We're not children and you're not our father to go out of your way to save us from being hopeful about something as insignificant as a video game. You said your piece, you don't have to respond to everybody who may feel different to tell them how they may be wrong and how chances are they're wrong because of this or that silly reasoning.

I've been gaming for 30 years, I can tell when something speaks to my personal sensibilities (and many of the games in that "article" didn't regardless of any media hype). I also don't care if the game failed to get kickstarted, it tells nothing on its own even if you somehow find it important. I don't even care if it sells well or not, that also tells absolutely nothing about the enjoyment I may or may not get out of it (just as I liked Risen which hardly did great yet I didn't like the sequels which iirc sold better). I've enjoyed plenty games that were commercial failures or were harshly judged by mainstream media and hated plenty that are at the top of the success ladder critically and commercially (see the modern Elder Scrolls series for example).

It's objectively not overhyped though considering barely anyone knows about it in the face of more marketed games and nobody here said it's factually amazing or anything, only that it seems to be shaping up very promising according to certain people's subjective tastes and also corrected some things said by others (like how someone implied it's randomly generated to any large degree by being negative about that aspect which is in fact a small part of its intended design).

I will of course wait for the finished product to see how it will turn out (I mean, I don't have a choice, I can't play it before then, ha) but so far the development of it, the goals the developers have and the way they go about achieving them by combining the different elements I discussed and more and even the way they seem to have turned out despite the low budget as shown by the extensive footage (which is hardly faked AAA/Ubisoft style completely scripted scenarios to show the strengths of the game and none of the weaknesses) resonate with me personally enough to be looking forward to it, otherwise I wouldn't care to follow it or comment about it at all. I'd be indifferent and scroll past in yet here you are, indifferent or even negative about its prospects but here to remind everyone every other post as if we didn't get it the first time.

Either way, I hope it will deliver because few games even attempt to be like that these days so if this doesn't I have nothing in that style to fall back to (again it reminds me of how a sandbox take on Gothic would be alongside having elements from other games I enjoy the concept of), but if not then there's no reason for you to go "I told you so" as you're no prophet just as I won't go "I told you so" if it turns out I like the finished product (I'm also no prophet, just following what I find interesting without being sure it will be so great in the end) yet it's as if every post of yours is trying to set such a scenario up (and even if people enjoy the game it seems you'll bring up data like the potential lack of sales to say they're wrong, haha, as if a game like Gothic 1 & 2 would sell so great these days, the series is no more for a reason after all).

You do you, I'll either get a good game I enjoy when it comes down to it or I won't and move on. If I do play it and I don't like it in the end I'll make sure to post about that also where relevant of course, here or in whatever other place I visit then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the long rant it was entertaining to read.

I prefer the minimalist approach myself though.

Anyway it's a forum we can write whatever we want to so I'll concede.:cool:

PS: I love playing the Gothic games.

Back
Top Bottom