HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Owlcat is an independent studio now:

Big news for the Owlcat Games studio

Dear Pathfinders!

The recent anniversary of Pathfinder: Kingmaker made us think more about the future of Owlcat Games as well. Together with our parent company, we decided to change the format of cooperation with MY.GAMES and go for an independent studio. Both parties have agreed to this mutually beneficial step, which will allow continuing to explore new business opportunities while maintaining focus on core competencies. The parent company remains our strategic partner and investor. We want to thank our colleagues at MY.GAMES for all these years we have spent on the path together.

As a newly independent studio, we have already moved to the new headquarters, where we are actively making ourselves a new home right now. The move was not easy for us -- we needed to carefully pack and transfer the countless boxes with small assets, shaman tambourines, all the dialogues, the bestiary and all the miniatures from the personal desks. Amiri's sword alone required an individual van!
But we made it! Here is a small photo report, so you can see the process with your own eyes.
Thanks purpleblob:

More information.

"Focus on core competencies". They don't talk like an Indie studios. How about just say "focus on what we do best" instead of using business-speak?

In other news: Owlcat was not indie until recently!

Best of luck to Owlcats and I'm dying to hear the announcement for Pathfinder 2 :D

"Focus on core competencies". They don't talk like an Indie studios. How about just say "focus on what we do best" instead of using business-speak?

They did it to annoy you, just enough to make a post.

Owlcat delivered big time, as far as Im concerned. In their case I would make exception to my personal policy of not paying before release. Looking forward to their next project very much.

Owlcat delivered. The vanilla.
Then they made a few low quality DLC because of course they did. Instead of concentrating on a sequel or TW3like expansion. An utter disappointment on my side.

Is their future spamming the market with DLC:The Game products and be remembered as one hit wonder remains to be seen. Going independant won't change whichever operating model they've already decided to pursue.

I liked their first DLC and bought it. The second one was also of decent quality but not part of the main campaign so I skipped it. I can kind of agree about third DLC that seems like it was left unfinished and unbalanced from the comments around the internet.

The game didn't really need big expansions like TW3 because it was already huge. But they could have added more DLCs like the first one.

Its just plain speculation, but i assume it required tremendous workload to patch and get game into the shape after release. So not much time was left to work on DLCs, not to mention real expansion.

I hope they learned their lesson and that future projects have smoother release then Kingmaker. In my eyes this developer has highest potential to deliver next cRPG which I will like. Or not ... wouldnt be first, neither last time of wasted potential, but thats life, right?

It's way too early to know if this will actually work out for them, but I wish them the best of luck and hope to see more games from their studio in the future.

Well good luck with that. Independence is nice, but risky too. At least now they'll have name recognition and some street cred.

Best of luck to the makers of the best spiritual successor to Baldur's's Gate yet.

Kingmaker needed about 6 months of patches to be really great. Pity I finished way before that. They are still patching and the DLCs seem nice, so overall it was a positive albeit frustrating experience.
KM2 will not need such work since the bases are ironed out and could be playable from day one.

Back
Top Bottom