Personal things you don't need to know

More likely mommy; daddy was guarding them last night when i went to sleep.

In all honesty I have no clue; was while I was asleep - could have been the kuhli pangio or daddy

That's a pity. I wonder if Daddy ate them. Nature has a habit of giving our sentimental perspectives a slap in the face. :p

Last edited:
Oh dear. Must have been a tense mood in the fish tank this morning.

Will you try transferring the frys to a safe area next time? Presumably they're not really dependent on their parents, as such?

EDIT: Also, I know next to nothing about fish - does the male inseminate the female, or the eggs themselves after she has released them?

Last edited:
I'll give them one more go; and after that I'll steal the eggs. I've been told it is a *lot* easier if the parents raise them; but also it takes a few tries for them to learn the ropes. I believe the female lays the egg and the male swim over them ....
-
The parents does handy things like keep the eggs free of fungus and remove the bad eggs so it doesn't spread to the good ones. Depending on the breed they will also protect the frys and help them find food (some fishes will eat the their frys as fast as they hatch; others will keep them safe in their mouth until they are large enough to swim freely). One of the reason I want the golds to breed is because they are short lived (I think i said that earlier) and they are also much more fragile than a lot of other fishes (its pretty hard to kill an angel or swordtail for example).

Oh dear. Must have been a tense mood in the fish tank this morning.

Will you try transferring the frys to a safe area next time? Presumably they're not really dependent on their parents, as such?

EDIT: Also, I know next to nothing about fish - does the male inseminate the female, or the eggs themselves after she has released them?

Update: They laid new eggs on Aug 21st. The male was not feeling well (he died this morning Aug 23); so i moved the eggs into a container. Was a bit poor about the move and about 1/4 to 1/3 were lost (fungus or put back into main tank early). However as of this evening (Aug 23) I have about 25 to 45 little frys. About 2/3 of them are still little round blobs with tails sticking out but a few are now free swimming. They are very small - much smaller than new born guppies. Tomorrow I will try to feed them - i've been told the first two weeks are the hardest part - if they can make it that far then they have a small chance to make adult-hood - the problem is feeding and cleaning requires the use of a magnifying glass - very tedious. I'd post a picture but I don't have a macro lens and the phone camera would need about 20x more magnification to show you something useful.

Good Luck !

I think I've told you that this summer (northern hemisphere!) I've been busy painting the house. When it's not raining. Well, it's actually not paint but - I think the English word is "siding stain", so I guess the proper term would be "staining
the house
", but to be honest, that sounds a bit weird to my ears. Anyhow, here's yours truly on a ladder applying said substance to the north wall:
picture.php

pibbur who listened to Lateralus by Tool during the procedure.

PS. If any of you find my position a bit precarious (I certainly did), I've tied the ladder to the wall, and equipped myself with a harness fixed to the ladder. So I think I'm safe, unless there's an earthquake or something earthquakish (similar damaging potential). And earthquakes are very rare in Norway. DS.

PPS. The colour is "Old Red". DS.

PPPS. Yes, I know, I should have mowed the lawn many days ago. Well, actually I did. I did mow the lawn many days ago. DS.

PPPPS. The tune "Lateralus" is quite interesting from a mathematical viewpoint. DS

I'm glad I saw the PS. I saw the picture and was about to type, "Please be careful!"

I've met one too many people who had life-changing bumps on the head from falling off house ladders.

I'm glad I saw the PS. I saw the picture and was about to type, "Please be careful!"

I've met one too many people who had life-changing bumps on the head from falling off house ladders.
Heh. No, I don't take risks - these days. OTOH, back then, when I was younger … *shivers*.

Fortunately, my balance isn't as good as it was, so standing near the top of a ladder, stretching to reach the most distant parts of the walls isn't very tempting, anymore.

And I think I'll hire professionally equipped professionals to do the western wall (next year), which is more like K2, compared to the one where I'm standing now.

BTW, I saw my share of fall-from-ladder-patients (well, not exatcly the patients themselves, only their vertebral x-rays) when working as a radiologist wannabe.

pibbur who after this will do most of his painting on canvas.

You have to stain it every year ? My dad had no problems with ladders into his 70's (he's in his 80's now and his ladder days are over) but me - i hated ladders. I can deal with standing on a 14000 peak but a ladder - yuck.

Heh. No, I don't take risks - these days. OTOH, back then, when I was younger … *shivers*.

Fortunately, my balance isn't as good as it was, so standing near the top of a ladder, stretching to reach the most distant parts of the walls isn't very tempting, anymore.

And I think I'll hire professionally equipped professionals to do the western wall (next year), which is more like K2, compared to the one where I'm standing now.

BTW, I saw my share of fall-from-ladder-patients (well, not exatcly the patients themselves, only their vertebral x-rays) when working as a radiologist wannabe.

pibbur who after this will do most of his painting on canvas.

You have to stain it every year ? My dad had no problems with ladders into his 70's (he's in his 80's now and his ladder days are over) but me - i hated ladders. I can deal with standing on a 14000 peak but a ladder - yuck.

I stain it every 8th-10th year.

pibbur who does use ladders but wouldn't dream of 14000 peaks.

Last edited:
I can deal with standing on a 14000 peak but a ladder - yuck.

Good instincts. Ladders and motorbikes - be very, very careful.

The worst thing you can hear at a BBQ - ”hold my beer, now watch this.”
That is correct. Never let other people touch your beer.

pibbur who usually doesn't drink beer. But some thirsts (for instance after painting/staining houses on a by Norwegian standards hot day) are just too good to waste on anything else.

Last edited:
Good instincts. Ladders and motorbikes - be very, very careful.

Heh! One, I would say, inevitable part of growing old/retiring, is considering the things you wanted, but didn't get or couldn't afford when you were younger. So, I thought about getting a motorbike. Fortunately the wife very clearly expressed her uncompromized hostility towards that idea.

pibbur who today somehow found himself talking to a stranger equipped with a (non motorized) kick scooter, they've become very popular here. Now, that's also something he didn't get in his younger days.

PS. The Dutch has a nice/funny word for motorbike (@Eye, please don't ban me): "bromfiets". Don't know if it derives from the sound of said vehicles but it certainly fi(e)ts. DS.

Last edited:
Yea we have those (scooters); but never understood why someone would use one rather than a bike. Motorcycle - never wanted one - rather walk or bike.

Heh! One, I would say, inevitable part of growing old/retiring, is considering the things you wanted, but didn't get or couldn't afford when you were younger. So, I thought about getting a motorbike. Fortunately the wife very clearly expressed her uncompromized hostility towards that idea.

pibbur who today somehow found himself talking to a stranger equipped with a (non motorized) kick scooter, they've become very popular here. Now, that's also something he didn't get in his younger days.

PS. The Dutch has a nice/funny word for motorbike (@Eye, plead don't ban me): "bromfiets". Don't know if it derives from the sound of said vehicles but it certainly fi(e)ts. DS.

Yea we have those (scooters); but never understood why someone would use one rather than a bike. Motorcycle - never wanted one - rather walk or bike.

Ahh, motorbikes. According to the paramedics here, only two types of a motorbike accident, minor or statistic.

A confesson: I have joined facebook.

In general I do avoid social sites (FB, Twitter whatever) like the plague, and in general I wouldn't dream (even in my nightmares) of entereing FB. But then, there is "Ultima Dragons, the Internet Chapter", which used to reside on Usenet (which I can no longer reach). Ultima Dragons is, as hopefully some of you know a virtual society for people interested in the Ultima games. We chose dragon names (pibbur dragon), talked about virtues and everything else. I miss them.

Now, there is "Ultima Dragons, the Internet Chapter, the Facebook Chapter". So I succumbed. But - I'm only there for the dragons. I have turned off everything I can turn off in FB (there are probably more things I should turn off), I won't post anything outside the group, no pictures of my children. And no friends. Wife? - Forget it. Children? - Hah! Watchers? - Well if some of you try (and if it's possible, I hope I've turned off friends request) and I say no, it's not because I have anything against you, only at humanity@facebook.

One somewhat scary thing I discovered: I found a friend suggestion on my pesonal pages, saying that I might know this one. And I do, he's a good friend outside FB. But this begs the question: How does FB know that? I never told them. *shivers*.

pibbur who won't say that joining FB is unvirtuous. But it certainly is not about humility.

One somewhat scary thing I discovered: I found a friend suggestion on my pesonal pages, saying that I might know this one. And I do, he's a good friend outside FB. But this begs the question: How does FB know that? I never told them. *shivers*.
Via Whatsapp? Telephone number? Mail address?
Btw, the danger to ones privacy does not just come from feeding the monster yourself by providing pictures or other info about friends and family, it is the notorious and sneaky Facebook pixel that gives Facebook the most and most important info about a person. Being logged in/out at Facebook does not change the fact that you can be tracked via the pixel.

Back
Top Bottom