Arcanum - Unofficial Fan Patch 1.5.1

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest fan patch (1.5.1) for Arcanum has been released.

For a long time Arcanum was seen as one of the buggiest cRPGs. Although there were some fix packs floating on the internet, most of them were poorly done and not compatible with each other. A complete and tested community patch was needed. A pure patch that just polishes the game without adding any questionable content or changing the gameplay in any significant way.

I decided to make such project a reality. I've been replaying the game many times, fixing a lot of bugs, omissions, inconsistencies. The problem was that one man simply can't find all the bugs on his own. But with the great help of so many fans from all across the globe this patch was made a reality.

And if you're wondering who I am, I'm just a long time fan of the game. When I decided to start this project, I spent time researching the game, learning how it works. It's been a long way, but now I've accumulated a great deal of information on the game and its internal workings, including basics of the engine and most file formats.

COMPONENTS

The patch consists of several modules:

• UAP Base
    All the bug fixes plus Extra Animations, Extended Ambient Tracks, HQ Townmaps and HQ Music.
  • High Resolution Patch
    Allows the game to be played at any resolution. Defaults to 720p. Improves Windows 10 compatibility.
  • Official DLC
    Adds 7 additional mini-campaigns. You can choose them in Options -> Game -> Module.
  • Beta Content
    Various things restored from pre-release versions of Arcanum.
  • Misc Mods
    Various miscellaneous mods and additions.
NOTES

• The patch is compatible with only English language versions of the game and will not install on localized versions.
  • Old saves are generally incompatible and will cause crashes and lockups in many locations, please make sure to start a new game.
  • If used with the Steam version, it's likely the game won't launch through Steam anymore, please use the provided desktop shortcut to run the game.
More information.

I'm playing this right now but too late, I'm level 28...Maybe next time.

ah the best game in ages !

replay number 5 here i come

U CAN JOIN THE mans discord. its pretty active place

Not sure where else to post this, so ...

1) Ran using desktop icon and when I get to the main menu the mouse is messed up. It moves a little, then freezes for a few seconds, then moves a little more, repeatedly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Not sure where else to post this, so …

1) Ran using desktop icon and when I get to the main menu the mouse is messed up. It moves a little, then freezes for a few seconds, then moves a little more, repeatedly.

Anyone have any ideas?
Arcanum has DirectDraw issues, if you're experiencing stuttering try that.

Or just try to run the game after removing "ddraw.dll" from you Arcanum directory.

Last edited:
@tekulte;:
Install the Hi-Res patch (via the 1.5.1 patch installation)
In the Arcanum/HighRes folder, you'll find a config.ini.
  • If running Windows 10, activate the Ddraw wrapper option ->set it to off in Windows 7 if running fullscreen.
  • Try running it in software render mode
  • Try running it in window mode but "magnified" to fit your screen w/ IntegerScaler
  • Be sure to run the install.bat after changing the config settings

Last edited:
Arcanum has DirectDraw issues, if you're experiencing stuttering try that.

Or just try to run the game after removing "ddraw.dll" from you Arcanum directory.

Deleting ddraw.dll did improve the stuttering to the point where I could click New Game without playing a frustrating game of Whack-a-Mole.

Fortunately, all subsequent menus were fine (no stuttering), and the game plays smoothly as well.

Thanks.

You're welcome. It's a great game.

The game has the best game World design Ever it also has probably the best Quest design ever and it is maybe my favorite game.

Pretty weak junk after Baldur's Gate 1-2 & Fallout 1-2. Couldn't get past the beginning town, it was so boring and dry braindead game.

I would disagree, Mercy. Once you delve into the quests and start exploring, it becomes obvious just time and effort was put into this wonderful game. This is one I've played and replayed a few times, and will continue to do so because it's a great game and a joy to play.

I'd argue Arcanum is the absolute zenith of an RTWP failure. If they'd made it turn-based and the combat wasn't awful, it would be an undisputed (haha, not undisputed of course) classic.

I'd argue Arcanum is the absolute zenith of an RTWP failure. If they'd made it turn-based and the combat wasn't awful, it would be an undisputed (haha, not undisputed of course) classic.

It is turn based.

It is turn based.

Its both

---

Does this patch affect the balance? The bug fix mod was great but it wasn't trying to be compatible with any of the balance mods.

The game is notorious for being OP for melee sword and under-powered for guns.

That's what happens when people comment on a game they've barely played or not played at all. :)

I can add a constructive snide viewpoint that is very valid even though I've never played it:

The reason I never tried Arcanum when it was released was because of its reputation for bugs, bugs and even more bugs and for being a clusterfuck of good ideas thrown together in a haphazard and chaotic Eton Mess.

Much like the other Troika games, but on steroids.

And the reason I still haven't played it is because of the title of this thread/news, my God, it's still being 'patched' nearly 20 years later? Oh good God.

There's a lot of hullabaloo around the gaming community at the moment about the concept of Live Service gaming, the idea of incomplete games released with maps for future improvements, the triple A alpha release oxymoron. People also talk about Arcanum as if it's some kind of legendary game which will be proven one day to be the precursor of the greatest RPGs ever, a design goal to be emulated.

If anything, Arcanum was the precursor to the design goal of the unfinished release of something that promises greatness but will never deliver it, it's true greatness always being just that one last patch away. Don't worry folks, it'll be 'finished' next month, just hang in there, don't play it yet, it's not quite ready, buy it, try it, sure, but if you want the real experience just wait one more patch.

Now, I get that it's original. I get that it does things and has content that no other RPG provides. I get how you can play it and forgive it's shortcomings. I get that it's a noble 'vision' that people play and it's this 'vision' that excuses all the foibles. However, every game ever made 'can be something great' if people fiddled with it for 20 years. Heck, Dragon Age 2 could be great if someone fiddled with it for 20 years, effectively making it both a brand new and completely different game in every regard.

It's like the old joke:

I own George Washington's original axe, the one he used to chop down the famous tree. Sure, I had to replace the handle at one point. And sure, I had to replace the axe head at one point, but it's the original axe, swear on me mother's grave.

Maybe I'll try it one day. But, heh, maybe I'll just hang around until it's properly baked. You know, next patch ;)

Umm, no, I never played it because of the vision. I played it because it's one of the most entertaining gaming experiences I've ever had. And that's in spite of the bugs, not because of them…

Back
Top Bottom