2009/2010 NHL Playoffs

Lucky Day

Daywatch
With Hank having a 4 point night to hold off OV taking a rest, and Sid's 5 the next day…

…its time for 2009/2010 NHL Playoffs

West
1) San Jose vs. 8) Colorado
2) Chicago vs. 7) Nashville
3) Vancouver vs. 6) LA
4) Phoenix vs. 5) Detroit

East
1) Washington vs. 8) Montreal
2) New Jersey vs. 7) Philly
3) Buffalo vs. 6) Boston
4) Pittsburgh vs. 5) Ottawa

You gonna run the contest this year, Lucky?

I suppose deets. Its been pretty fortuitous for thou.

Same rules as last year?

OK, let's see: SJ,Chicago,Van, Phoenix

Mont, NJ, Pitt, Buff. I really think Wash will beat Mont, but I have to pick a Canadian team and NOTHING would make me pick the hated Ottawa!! :)

West
San Jose over Colorado
Chicago over Nashville
LA over Vancouver
Detroit over Phoenix

East
Washington over Montreal
Philadelphia over New Jersey
Buffalo over Boston
Pittsburgh over Ottawa

West: SJ, Chicago, Vanc, Detroit

East: Washington
NJ
Buffalo
Pittspurgh

West - SJ in 6
Chi in 5
Van in 6
Det in 6

East - Wash in 5
NJ in 7
Buf in 6
Pit in 6

I love my Penguins, But I think its a second round exit for them this year. They made a mistake with Scuderi. Not in letting him go, they had no choice. They couldnt pay him what he was worth because of cap concerns. The mistake was they never replaced him with a defensive defenseman. Its shown all year, and will really be a problem in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I love my Penguins, But I think its a second round exit for them this year. They made a mistake with Scuderi. Not in letting him go, they had no choice. They couldnt pay him what he was worth because of cap concerns. The mistake was they never replaced him with a defensive defenseman. Its shown all year, and will really be a problem in the playoffs.

I think the Pens have a good shot at getting to the conference final. Philly matches up well with New Jersey (Flyers went 5-1 against the Devils this year), and it wouldn't shock me at all if they pull off that upset. If that happens then Pittsburgh would face the winner of the Buffalo-Boston series in the 2nd round, instead of having to play NJ, who they were 0-6 against this season.

If Philly doesn't knock off NJ, then I agree, Pittsburgh will be eliminated in the 2nd round.

Good point about Philly JDR. I was just assuming the pens were going to face NJ in the 2nd round, which I think means bye bye penguins, unfortunately. But you never know. Regular season means nothing. Playoffs are an entirely different matter.

Actually… if all the higher seeds win, Pittsburgh will face the Capitals in the second round. Either way, the Pens might need some help this year.

Hey, Lucky and Dte, get your picks in!! I could probably do Dte's for him!! :)

If we're following last year's rules, we should be giving the games in each series (round 1 was 2 points for the winner and one point for the games), too. I don't care which way we go, but Lucky needs to decide so we can all get our bets right.

If we're only doing teams, I'll take:
Sharkies over Crapalanche
Hawks over Preds
Canuckles over Kings (first playoffs for the Kings in a long time)
WINGS over Yotes (first playoffs for the Yotes in a couple years)
Caps over Habs
Devils over Flyers (tough series, but the Flyers don't have a playoff goalie)
Sabres over Bruins
Sens over Saint Cindy (my upset pick, Bettman threatens to cancel the rest of the playoffs and cries himself to sleep)

Hey Dte, if I'd done your picks I would only have one different, the last one!! :)

It worked out to pick by the seeds this year. The Wings are obviously better than their seed, so that one doesn't really count. I'm taking a bit of a flier on the Sens, but there's always a surprise in the first round and Ottawa was pretty hot down the stretch.

Thing is, this year the matchups are closer than they usually seem to be. SJ is clearly better, but they always choke. Perhaps the Crapalanche are in the right place when it happens. The Hawks will be starting a rookie goalie and their defense is overrated. If the Preds play physical and get a break or two, it could happen. If Luongo continues his slump, LA could take advantage. The Yotes have flown under the radar all year and the Wings are starting a rookie goalie that Babcock has rode hard. The Devils are clearly the better team, but Philly has hammered them all season. Buffalo will only go as far as Ryan Miller takes them, so if he goes cold against Boston that series would flip. Cindy and the rest of the team aren't as good as last year and Ottawa is playing well. The only "bet the mortgage cinch" in the 1st round is Washington because the Caps are that good and the Habs are that bad.

Okay, here's one proposed last year on another forum: each win for your team pick is worth double each round. 1, 2, 4, 8 points, with the Stanley Cup winner giving those who voted for them 32 points. The loser of that round potentially 24 points. It makes the later rounds more valuable and the early rounds still an important margin.

WAS vs MTL - Caps in 4
NJ vs PHI - NJ in 4
BUF vs BOS - Buf in 7 (boring!)
PIT vs OTT - Pens in 5
SJ vs COL - Sharks in 6
CHI vs NAS - Hawks in 6
VAN vs LA - Nuckies sweep
PHX vs DET - Phx in 7

Well the Wings and Sharks can breath a little easier now, both of those series are tied 2-2.

Definitely panic time for the Devils though, that series is over if you ask me. This might be the end of Martin Brodeur as a playoff goalie. At 37 years old, the Devils need to start looking at the future.

Blackhawks are also in trouble, game 4 will pretty much be a must-win game for them.

I think Vancouver and Buffalo must win today, I don't see either of those teams coming back if they fall into a 3-1 deficit.

Same with Washington. They can breath too.

What a strange start. I normally love the first round as that when hockey has the most energy and the most determination.

If Vancouver can't solve their PK they are dead. IMO, there is too much reliance on Burr and Kesler (Selke nominee) who get fatigue after 1:30 minutes.

I really figured Brodeur would be a playoff goalie like every other year. I was wrong.

I really figured Brodeur would be a playoff goalie like every other year. I was wrong.

This is the 3rd year in a row New Jersey was eliminated in the first round, and they haven't been further than the second round since 2003. I think there's some major changes on the horizon for that team.

Huge game for the Red Wings tonight...

Back
Top Bottom