Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

Actually, IIRC - any game that uses the THAC0 system is influenced by 2nd Edition - though that might be the only part they're using.

I clearly recall using combat tables with 1st Edition - and I remember how I thought THAC0 was brilliant when it was introduced. How little I knew of game design back then ;)

I'm almost certain some of the EotB games had THAC0 - but some of you guys must remember more clearly, right?

A quick search shows that the EotB and Ravenloft series both used 2nd Edition. I'm pretty sure the Dark Sun games did too.

@Fluent

In that case, I can highly recommend EotB 1+2 and Dark Sun if you're looking for more 2nd Edition goodness.

None of them are as good as BG, but they were great for their time. That said, Dark Sun games were notoriously buggy.

Actually, IIRC - any game that uses the THAC0 system is influenced by 2nd Edition - though that might be the only part they're using.

I clearly recall using combat tables with 1st Edition - and I remember how I thought THAC0 was brilliant when it was introduced. How little I knew of game design back then ;)

Ha! I actually really like THAC0, now that I somewhat understand it. I like that it's an added wrinkle to the combat system. I usually like added wrinkles :).

@Fluent

In that case, I can highly recommend EotB 1+2 and Dark Sun if you're looking for more 2nd Edition goodness.

None of them are as good as BG, but they were great for their time. That said, Dark Sun games were notoriously buggy.

Thanks for the recommendations! I will check these games out for sure.

Thanks to everyone else who responded as well. I appreciate the input!

Wow. The Girdle of Hill Giant Strength is like cheat mode, lol. I put it on Jaheira and she went from being a pretty average melee character to an absolute beast! I also equipped her with the Staff of Rynn +4 and she's now one of the best melee characters in my group! Not only does she deal great damage now but she has the best armor class out of everyone :).

My new party consists of:

Myself
Minsc
Valygar
Jaheira
Jan
Aerie

But I'm thinking of switching Valygar out for Mazzy because she seems more interesting to me. Valygar is also expendable because Jaheira can be on the front line now.

Just got done with Valygar's quest and that was pretty fun, too. Quite challenging as well. I love the battles where I have to really dig into my bag of tricks. They give you so many options for overcoming difficult encounters, it's really up to you to figure out a proper strategy.

Quick question. Will advancing to Chapter 3 lock me out of any content? I'd like to advance it but not if I will be locked out of doing side quests and stuff.

I'm not 100% sure but I strongly recommend you finish whatever quests you want done before starting 3rd chapter :)

Ugh, I hate Mazzy, finished the game once with her in the party and I never plan to do that again (btw, can you believe Mazzy = Bastila = FemShep??)

I would definitely take Valygar over Mazzy. Iirc, he's the only recruitable Paladin, and you'll find a kickass sword that can only be wielded by him.

If you find Mazzy more interesting though then take her. At least you'll have another strong ranged character.

I tend to play with Mazzy because I like midgets. And because I also tend to play with Keldorn; those two together make a truly endearing pair.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll just chime in my opinion on this: stave off ToB content as long as you can. Its vibe is very different from the rest of the game(s), built more around a minmax mindset with its loot (and content to some extent). I always saved Watcher's Keep for the tail-end of the game, right before the jump to ToB proper (where the real gameplay devoid of any of the prequels' charm takes center stage).

I would definitely take Valygar over Mazzy. Iirc, he's the only recruitable Paladin, and you'll find a kickass sword that can only be wielded by him.

Valygar is the moody dual wielder ranger dude w/ dreadlocks, not Keldorn :)

Quick question. Will advancing to Chapter 3 lock me out of any content? I'd like to advance it but not if I will be locked out of doing side quests and stuff.
It locks you out temporarily, for quite along time. You will be able to finish the quests afterwards. But as purpleblob said, I think you should take care of any unfinished business before advancing to chapter III.

No. Simply advancing by paying 15.000 gold won't lock you out of anything. Just make sure you don't agree to go on a boat when you get asked to.

As for switching around characters: Keep in mind that XP levels won't even out. Bringing in someone who is 500.000 xp behind the party is a serious drawback.

Ugh, I hate Mazzy, finished the game once with her in the party and I never plan to do that again (btw, can you believe Mazzy = Bastila = FemShep??)

Ha, that's pretty cool. I haven't used Mazzy yet but she seems more interesting than Valygar (who I'm just not that interested in).

If you find Mazzy more interesting though then take her. At least you'll have another strong ranged character.

Yeah, I figured another good ranged character would work, since Jan is pretty weak at the moment and Valygar as a front line fighter is made redundant by Jaheira now. Valygar can use a bow, too, I think, but again, he just doesn't interest me too much.

I tend to play with Mazzy because I like midgets. And because I also tend to play with Keldorn; those two together make a truly endearing pair.

Ha! I like halflings as well, and definitely need one in my party :). I haven't met Keldom yet but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll just chime in my opinion on this: stave off ToB content as long as you can. Its vibe is very different from the rest of the game(s), built more around a minmax mindset with its loot (and content to some extent). I always saved Watcher's Keep for the tail-end of the game, right before the jump to ToB proper (where the real gameplay devoid of any of the prequels' charm takes center stage).

Thanks for the tip. I didn't plan on delving into that content until the end, anyway. I saved BG1's expansion until basically the very end, so I'll probably do the same with ToB.

D'oh! I remember now. Valygar had the planar sphere quest…

Yeah. I just finished that up and it was pretty cool. Still don't really want that dude in my party, though :).

It locks you out temporarily, for quite along time. You will be able to finish the quests afterwards. But as purpleblob said, I think you should take care of any unfinished business before advancing to chapter III.

Thanks, I will.

As for switching around characters: Keep in mind that XP levels won't even out. Bringing in someone who is 500.000 xp behind the party is a serious drawback.

That's kind of a bummer. I don't want characters to be way behind in XP so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Yeah, I figured another good ranged character would work, since Jan is pretty weak at the moment and Valygar as a front line fighter is made redundant by Jaheira now. Valygar can use a bow, too, I think, but again, he just doesn't interest me too much.
Valygar's main strength is his stealth + backstab attacks. Sneak up behind someone and he'll most likely kill them in a single blow. As a regular fighter he's not all that great. Keldorn is much better than Minsc or Valygar in such a role, because he's amazing at killing mages. Also, Korgan is fantastic, but he's about as evil as it gets.
Thanks, I will.
Like I said: This is actually not true. Heading into chapter 3 changes nothing, except you get a new main quest and some fancy magic items. It's accepting an offer to board a boat that matters. You'll know when you get there.

Yeah I think you are right Maylander. You start Chapter 3 when you pay the money, not boarding the ship. It's been a while since I played BG2 (and I pay little attention to when the new chapter start/finish etc). Aww now I want to play BG2 again but must resist... (Or I will drop every single game I'm playing/plan to play and get back to BG2 permanently).

Right... forgot that chapter 3 starts before boarding. :)

Yep, and you get a few very powerful items at the start of chapter 3.

Also, when you can spare the money, buy the Robe of Vecna (for Aerie) from Deidre in the Adventurer's Mart (Waukeen's Promenade). You'll thank me later. :)

Yeah I think you are right Maylander. You start Chapter 3 when you pay the money, not boarding the ship. It's been a while since I played BG2 (and I pay little attention to when the new chapter start/finish etc). Aww now I want to play BG2 again but must resist… (Or I will drop every single game I'm playing/plan to play and get back to BG2 permanently).

Heh, yes indeed, it's very easy to get hooked again! I was just going to play through it a few times when the EE was released; I think I ended up playing through 5-6 times in a row. The replay value is incredible.

Keldorn is a Paladin as well. Played with him once. Pretty good NPC.

Keldorn is fantastic if used right. One of the most overpowered characters in the game, since he's an Inquisitor. They're the best mage killers by far due to their incredibly unbalanced dispel ability.

Hey everyone, I'm back to playing the ultimate role-playing game that is Baldur's Gate 2, but I'm a bit rusty so I had a question or 2...

In the Enhanced Edition, I recall there being a key command to select all party members. Quick searches are telling me it's the "0" key, but that is definitely NOT the key I was using. I could have sworn I was using something like CTRL+A or something to select them all quickly. Do you guys have any idea what that shortcut could be?

In the first one it's the 0 key (just tested it). I would assume it's the same in the second one. Could you have done something that remapped it?

Back
Top Bottom