Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Released on GOG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bureau: XCOM Declassified was released on GOG yesterday.

Link - https://www.gog.com/game/the_bureau_xcom_declassified
Link - https://www.gog.com/news/release_the_bureau_bxcom_declassifiedb
Alien threat [redacted].

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM, 80% off until August 20nd, 6pm UTC.

The government denies knowledge but they are here. With the Cold War paranoia at its breaking point, a unit of elite operatives must investigate and eliminate the extra-terrestrial threat away from the unsuspecting public eye. As agent Carter you must assemble and co-ordinate your top-secret team, make decisions under fire, and use advanced technology to outsmart the crafty aliens in this third-person shooter spinoff to the beloved tactical series.

I think it's pretty good. It's not on the same level as a true XCOM game, but it's more than worth that price.

That game has been free for grabs on steam before though. So compared to that 4 bucks is actually expensive. ^^

I enjoyed it. It's a Brothers in Arms type game with an XCOM skin, so if you enjoy that kind of gameplay I recommend it.

Be wary though, the controls are really clunky and I found myself fighting with them as much as with the aliens.

Last edited:
I actually completed this one. It's really not that good - but it did have one thing going for it, which was a proper 60s sci-fi X-Com vibe. It nailed the FEEL of those games - if not the gameplay.

It plays like a less accomplished Mass Effect 2 with less polish and - if you can imagine it - less engaging combat.

I believe I came up with some solutions for the awkward controls - but I can't really remember the hows and the whys. I don't remember it being a big deal, though.

It's not terribly long (I think 12-15 hours) - so it's a decent snack if you're in the mood and enjoy the setting.

I would call it a guilty pleasure of sorts.

Also, I have to say, the best part of the game was how it demonstrated just how well X-Com COULD work with that kind of approach. If someone who knew what they were doing and had complete creative control was behind the wheel, it could actually be a really strong X-Com alternative.

The feel/vibe of it would be important to me, to hear that it captures that well is just another reason to own it. That clinched it, one of these lulls I will be picking this up, likely from great old games.

Sounds like a pretty darn awful game - at least with regards to game play.

I actually completed this one. It's really not that good - but it did have one thing going for it, which was a proper 60s sci-fi X-Com vibe. It nailed the FEEL of those games - if not the gameplay.

It plays like a less accomplished Mass Effect 2 with less polish and - if you can imagine it - less engaging combat.

I believe I came up with some solutions for the awkward controls - but I can't really remember the hows and the whys. I don't remember it being a big deal, though.

It's not terribly long (I think 12-15 hours) - so it's a decent snack if you're in the mood and enjoy the setting.

I would call it a guilty pleasure of sorts.

Also, I have to say, the best part of the game was how it demonstrated just how well X-Com COULD work with that kind of approach. If someone who knew what they were doing and had complete creative control was behind the wheel, it could actually be a really strong X-Com alternative.

Back
Top Bottom