The Witcher - X360 and PS3 Confirmation?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well, no - but it's not surprising to read at RPG Codex that a CD Projekt staffer apparently let their plans slip on a social networking site, since we know they have been hiring console staff:
We knew that CD Projekt Red Studio is looking for X360 and PS3 programmers, but there was no confirmation on whether they'll be working on porting The Witcher or some other project. As the Gry-Online Polish gaming site reports, Tomasz Jonarski, a CD Projekt employee, mentioned that he's working on technology for porting The Witcher to next generation consoles: Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 at GoldenLine, a social networking website.
Lukasz Mach is quick with the "no confirmation", "not official" line in the linked thread.
More information.

If there is more money for CDP, I don't see why not. Just hope there are enough console gamers like it.

Maybe I can finally play it then, since in the PC version the fonts are barely readably on my 36" LCD TV.
Oh I'm sooooooooo sorry for you... May I cry, pretty please?

Anyway, I seriously doubt IF (and that's a big "if") The Witcher gets ported, ever, it'll be successful on consoles. The audience is just ain't right. I mean, all of the console-owners I know start whining if they encounter a game with the slightest complexity (dialogues? choices? no way!) and/or more than 3 buttons to be used for play. I do not deny that I despise them, but if the majority of console gamers is akin to them (and I suspect so), then it's a stillborn endeavour. Of course, I wish the developers success, profit and recognition, but I doubt they'll find it on the consoles market.

...all of the console-owners I know start whining if they encounter a game with the slightest complexity (dialogues? choices? no way!) and/or more than 3 buttons to be used for play.

I guess you don't know that many console players? This is not *at all* the impression I get from the console owners I know - to be honest it sounds more like the stereotypical picture of console gamers that certain fanatic and narrow-minded PC gamers always tries to paint of the "braindead shit-box kiddies". I wish CDP the best of luck trying to expand their target audience and I think it is the correct move for any developer that wishes to stay in business these days..

Maybe I can finally play it then, since in the PC version the fonts are barely readably on my 36" LCD TV.

How far from the screen are you playing it? It doesnt make sense that if you make text bigger it becomes unreadable. I have never had any problems reading any fonts in any game* - old or new - from my 32" LCD.

*Xwing alliance is only exception that comes in mind. But its problems related to widescreen not screensize. And even then there was a fix for it.

Oh I'm sooooooooo sorry for you... May I cry, pretty please?

Sure, it's your party and you can cry if you want to. :) I wasn't really complaining, though, just stating my experience with it. I guess the lack of enthusiasm with which I said it made it sound like sarcasm. But if there will be a version that I can play on this setup, that'll be cool. The Witcher seems like a cool game.

How far from the screen are you playing it? It doesnt make sense that if you make text bigger it becomes unreadable. I have never had any problems reading any fonts in any game* - old or new - from my 32" LCD.

I don't really know what causes it. The LCD TV isn't as sharp as a TFT monitor, though. That'll be causing it. However, I've seen smaller fonts that are readable just fine. It's something with the fonts that seem to make them smudged and hard to read. Just not meant for LCD technology, or something. It's really frustrating, because I was enjoying the demo and playing in the living room makes all my games that much better. :)

Have you turned Antialiasing on ? That sometimes made small fonts unreadable on my PC, too.

And what about that "clear type" applet by MS ?

It's something with the fonts that seem to make them smudged and hard to read. Just not meant for LCD technology, or something. It's really frustrating, because I was enjoying the demo and playing in the living room makes all my games that much better. :)

You did play in the native resolution? No software scaling? Im sure there is som way to fix it. If its a font issue surely you are not the only one with the problem? I do remember som games having almost idiotic font choices in the past (allthough still readable).

Not sure if I played it in native resolution. The thing is, some games insist that they only support 1280x720, but the resolution my screen wants is 1280x768. The first is unsupported. This has caused me to play some games in another wide-screen resolution. As for anti-aliasing, I think I had it switched it off, because the game didn't run very well on my machine in the first place. I guess I could've lowered the resolution for that reason, as well.

Maybe that's the reason. ;) I'll have to look into it again to make sure.

1280x? Whats the native resolution of your LCD TV? Is it HD (1366 x 768) or full HD (1920 x 1080)? Mine is HD and its well supported in games - even in as old as baldurs gate. 1024x768 is pretty crispy too.

Other resolutions are not so great - they make the picture blurry & unreadable . My PS2 resolution is so low that the upscaled picture is anything but crispy. I have to sit away from the TV to make it look bareable.

So if you dont run the game on native resolution expect to get blurry graphics. There are exceptions of course (like 1024x768 res in my TV) depending on the scaling capabilities of the TV.

Your graphics card driver can also ruin your picture if its scaled. Just make sure you use hardware scaling instead of software scaling. The latter is way worse.

Ouch, my mistake. I meant to say 1200x768. That's the resolution I configure in games. 1200x720 gives me the black screen. It is not a Full HD screen, but "HD Ready". I've seen people report 1366x768 resolutions which I don't understand, because I'm pretty sure that my TV would bail if I tried that. Do I have a different aspect ratio then??

I use non-widescreen resolutions in older titles and that works pretty well. Of course the aspect ratio is way off then, but what can you do.

Ouch, my mistake. I meant to say 1200x768. That's the resolution I configure in games. 1200x720 gives me the black screen. It is not a Full HD screen, but "HD Ready". I've seen people report 1366x768 resolutions which I don't understand, because I'm pretty sure that my TV would bail if I tried that. Do I have a different aspect ratio then??

HD ready means a resolution of 1366x768. 100% of LCD TVs sold as HD ready have native resolution of 1366x768. I have never heard or seen LCD TV with resolution such as 1200x728. You either have som very weird rare LCD TV (unlikely) or its resolution is 1366x768 too. Im guessing the latter. I suggest you use the 1366x768.

A common pixel resolution used in HD Ready LCD TV panels is 1366 x 768[11] pixels instead of the ATSC Standard 1280 x 720 pixels.

1366×768 720p/1080i, HD Ready 1,049,088 (1.0) 683:384
(Approx 16:9) 1:1
Approx Typically a TV resolution WXGA; also exists as a standardized "HD-Ready" TV size. HDTV common pixel resolution, that used on LCD HDTV displays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

I use non-widescreen resolutions in older titles and that works pretty well. Of course the aspect ratio is way off then, but what can you do.

Have you checked your TV remote? It most likely has a button (mine says "arc" in it as in Aspect Ratio Correction or somthing) to switch aspect ratio to non-widescreen if needed. Most if not all LCD TVs have had this feature for years.

You loose som of the screen width but the picture keeps its crispyness.

I never understood the sense in these [insanely high] high resolutions.

Personally, I'd love to play The Witcher on my PS3. But not sure if I would be bothered to buy it since I already own the PC version. Maybe if there is some extra content. It's the same with Oblivion, I already own the game and the expansions, and even though I might want to replay it on the PS3 it's not really worth the delay and the extra price.

I guess you don't know that many console players? This is not *at all* the impression I get from the console owners I know - to be honest it sounds more like the stereotypical picture of console gamers that certain fanatic and narrow-minded PC gamers always tries to paint of the "braindead shit-box kiddies".
Agreed - perhaps 15 - 20 years ago that was very true ... or even 10 ... but not now. The average age is mid-late 20's, and they are playing every sort of game imaginable.

I never understood the sense in these [insanely high] high resolutions.

Since when was 1366×768 a high resolution? Especially when viewed on 30"+ screen you can clearly see that every line that is not straight horizontal or vertical is broken (pixelated might be another word).

Thats possibly the only reason Id want a higher resolution (1900x1200) - to cover the unstraight lines.

The average age is mid-late 20's, and they are playing every sort of game imaginable.
I was speaking of the same age group, hence I was - and still am - perplexed by their lack of need for games with some depth to them. As I said, my buddies - some of whom are 30 like me - prefer casual games with no learning curve/complexitiy at all, and they totally freaked out when I showed them Crysis on my PC, saying that the controls were overcomplicated, and who cares about that (weak excuse of a) story anyway? It left me utterly speechless. But mayhaps they're not a representative sample of the console owners' group, who knows?

Certainly, I came up with the example of Crysis because it's a far cry (pun intended) from being complicated or boasting a decent story. But if something as petty as this makes those guys frustrated, why should they care a rat's arse about The Witcher? I think you get my point.

Regardless, I still maintain that consoles are unsuited for RPGs, but let's not dwell on this matter any longer than necessary. If it works out for CDP, that's fine by me, and as I mentioned earlier, I wish the mthe best of luck, because that most probably means more quality games coming out their door.

Have you checked your TV remote? It most likely has a button (mine says "arc" in it as in Aspect Ratio Correction or somthing) to switch aspect ratio to non-widescreen if needed. Most if not all LCD TVs have had this feature for years.

Okay, I had Windows set to use a weird refresh rate, 75Hz. I set it properly to 60Hz and now I can select the correct resolutions in Windows (not the weird 1280x768 and 1360x768 ones). My TV reports the correct resolution now, too! Before it said 1024x768 @ 75Hz, so I guess it was running at that and scaling whatever resolution I had Windows set up with.

So big thanks for helping out! My PC screen looks better than ever now and I bet that my The Witcher problem is solved, too (or at least alleviated a lot).

EDIT: Tried The Witcher again and the game looks great in 1360x768, but my framerate suffers at this resolution. Fonts are all readable, just very small. Guess my TV needs to be bigger. ;) At least they're readable from up close now. I wish more games had this "Use high resolution font" setting that NWN had or, even better, UI scaling like WoW has.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom