Legends of Eisenwald - Review @ RPG Codex

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Codex has reviewed Legends of Eisenwald - some snippets:
Picking up a well-worn calling card, the protagonist of the story is on a vengeful warpath as he or she looks for those responsible in bringing down their dynasty. You can pick from three characters – a Knight (melee), Baroness (ranged), and Mystic (magic). Because your characters physically take part in the battles, who you choose can greatly shape how you end up playing the game. That is, after all, one of the subtler differences amongst these genre games: whether or not you, the play-character, physically take part in the battles. Unlike King’s Bounty, without actual spellcasters in your party, you will not be casting very many spells if you are not a spellcaster (read: very many is actually very none). Most of these characters have various ‘leveling paths’ that usually fall along the lines of empire management, army management, and character power-growth. For me, I chose the Knight as it was suggested to be the easiest and I’m a simpleton that likes to bash. Not only that, I also leveled him to be extra-bashy in the early game where he promptly served as a valuable extra-soldier instead of an anchor of ‘potential’ that the Mystic certainly is. With the character choice out of the way, you pretty much jump into the story which is structured by a series of scenarios.

[…]

Legends of Eisenwald is a pretty game in the sense that it is the cutest German girl in a small village. She would become just another face in the engulfing nature of a city, but here in the tiny hamlet her little hair-twisting and skirt-spinning pirouettes make her stand out. I’ve clearly no idea how to talk about graphics or even appraise them, but by my estimations it’s a good looking game. Polygon-wise the characters are detailed enough, textures give them a sense of physical presence, and animations are serviceable. I think the real standout are the maps themselves. They’re intricately made and I can imagine took a great deal of time to get just right. Castles rest in the midst of lakes, murky ponds help mudify the otherwise viridscapes, lots of ruins and rubble strewn about, windmills dot hills and fortresses are oft found tucked between mountains. Oh, and forests. Lots of forests. And copses and pockets of trees where forests used to be. Most maps tend to have one big central city – or two – surrounded by temples, medieval favelas, and black markets. About all of this scurry various lords, lieges, leech-sellers, smellsmocks, witches and their corollary dick-swingin’ ne’er do wells, all manner of peasantry run amuck, bandits, brigands, and thieving graduates, some sickly and poison moistened, the cursed and rabid, the cured and vapid, sellswords and poets selling words and plenty of peddlers, tramps, shamans, pagans, pariahs, necromantic practitioners to dizzy you with lore.

[…]

The game’s overall content is … quite a damn lot. Based on just how much you wish to read and do, the game provides a big altar on which to sacrifice your hours. Its combat system is unique enough that I don’t think one can get a proper handle on whether or not they like it without first just jumping in. Ultimately, Legends of Eisenwald is what I’d call an overall solid experience. Nothing particularly spectacular about it, but it’s playable. It works. To quote many game reviews: it’s fun if you’re into that kind of thing.

More information.

I'm just 10 hours into the game, but I can recommend it to everyone who likes medieval settings.

So far the reviews are suprisingly (?) positive. I'll put it on my wishlist for future reference.

We will see what comes next. Few German reviews are not that positive but none of these reviewers played the game to the end. I think combat will remain a divisive issue.

Oh, I don't know, Aterdux. A 74% positive rate on Steam, where ranting prima donnas go to die, seems pretty good to me, and this looks like quite the pretty picture on Metacritic to this layman's eyes, as well. Att those pretty green lines and boxes and circles. I don't know art, but I know what I like.

Edit: Whoops, I glossed over the key word there, indicating you were just talking about German reviews. Still, I'd be happy with your reviews overall.

Last edited:
I will enjoy it why it lasts! :) We are getting straight 65 in Europe: IGN Spain and Hungary (for these guys the game is absurdly long), and other German sites. The only hope they will forget to put it on Metacritic :)

The pattern is the same as in Steam reviews - lower scores come from sites who obviously didn't play the game to the end.

The pattern is the same as in Steam reviews - lower scores come from sites who obviously didn't play the game to the end.
I think you may be confusing cause with result here.

Those who did not play until the end did so because they did not like the game.
Not the other way around ;)

Of course, those who put an hour into it at max clearly did not even try.

You are right. However then they should not make statements about the story. It's like reviewing a movie by its first 10 minutes. You can say - I don't like it but state that you watched only first 10 minutes. That would be fair.

Yes, well... what some journalists call journalism is a slight stretch ;)

The actually good games nowadays are those who have lower Metacritic scores.

Also the Watch and the Codex both deserve a bit of kudos in this situation, they were just about the only Western outlets willing and eager to talk about the game when most others just ignored it.

Yes, the Codex and the Watch are our biggest Steam curators too. The preview from you guys here was really good. But I guess there won't be a review here for a while :)

Probably. We don't have many article writers. At least 4 out of 5 review opportunities aren't used. So it's nothing personal.

Im on chapter 5, im amazed at the size of the main storyline, and all the writing and stuff to read.
I think this game should be rated 80 just out of the amount of detail and epic ness put in it. Its already becoming a classic to my collection since very few games are like this.
My only regret is im playing on easy level due to the release bug, im depending if I should start over. I only play games on easy if I hate the game but want to finish the stiryline, in this instance I want ti play on hard difficulty to enjoy the game through its conclusion.

I think the main problem is about reviewers not reviewing what a game is, but what it is not. What I mean is that they are used to things being a certain way, and when something different comes (like the combat system), they think it's bad, instead of accepting it.

Probably. We don't have many article writers. At least 4 out of 5 review opportunities aren't used. So it's nothing personal.
I understand. No problems here. If I had something against you I would not be hanging around here. I remember all the good the Watch has done for us during Kickstarter, Early Access and beyond.

Im on chapter 5, im amazed at the size of the main storyline, and all the writing and stuff to read.
I think this game should be rated 80 just out of the amount of detail and epic ness put in it. Its already becoming a classic to my collection since very few games are like this.
My only regret is im playing on easy level due to the release bug, im depending if I should start over. I only play games on easy if I hate the game but want to finish the stiryline, in this instance I want ti play on hard difficulty to enjoy the game through its conclusion.
Thank you for your kind words and sorry for this stupid bug. It's an oversight on our part since we got so used to the game that testing it as a clean install we didn't even notice that. Check out this review: I posted it yesterday in our socials, that's really flattering: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971640510/recommended/246760/
I think the main problem is about reviewers not reviewing what a game is, but what it is not. What I mean is that they are used to things being a certain way, and when something different comes (like the combat system), they think it's bad, instead of accepting it.
IGN wrote: "Legends of Eisenwald is a tactical RPG that gets fast turn-based tactical combat right". Still 73 but he didn't get past chapter 3 unfortunately.

I would have enjoyed this in multiplayer, most likely.
Unlikely to happen. Both for financial reasons and that no one in our team is really excited about it.

Unlikely to happen. Both for financial reasons and that no one in our team is really excited about it.

Fair enough, not all games are for everyone :)

This game is on my radar for quite a while, but with my growing backlog of games I just do not have the time to pick it up yet. I am sure I will eventually, it looks interesting enough. Stupid adult life and its time constraints. :p

Back
Top Bottom