Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Cover Art Released

@Gorath: could you please post some link about the change of QL from QA to dev studio?

Unfortunately I don´t have time to dig it up. You could browse the latest JoWooD investor papers. Maybe they have some colourful graphics explaining the company structure in there.

Yes, for example.

Just to add some quick info on some issues that seem to be a source of confusion for some people:

- Patch 1.7 is supposed to be out before the expansion is released (no guarantee of that though). Contrary to patch 1.6 which was developed with professional support from Spellbound, 1.7 is once again "only" a pure CPT (Community Patch Team) effort.

The CPT has made it clear that they are not planning to add multithreading (dual/multi core CPU support) back in with patch 1.7 (multithreading was removed by Spellbound in patch 1.6). They are also not planning on improving the game's performance in patch 1.7.

Yet they are hinting at some pretty major changes (patch 1.7 will require a restart of the game) without specifying the nature of the changes. Since most major quest bugs have long been fixed by previous community patches, it must be something else that they are addressing in 1.7.

Personally, I hope that they found a way to fix the retarded combat system and maybe even a way to fix collision detection, preventing enemies to come out of the ground or through walls. That'd be great.

- The expansion will be standalone and the developer has not been announced yet. Now if we rule out the (naturally extremely unlikely) possibility that the CPT = the expansion developer then it should be clear that Gothic 3 and the expansion will be like two separate games (meaning that the original G3 game will not benefit from any of the expansion's fixes or anything at all).

Spellbound (who are busy developing G4 with a licensed engine that is most certainly not Genome) helped the CPT on patch 1.6 and not the expansion developer. This tells us that the expansion will not be based on the Genome engine since it would have made more sense for JoWooD to establish contact between the CPT and the expansion dev for patch 1.6 if the expansion would be using Genome as well. Instead they had folks from Spellbound help with patch 1.6. even though the G3 addon should naturally be closer to G3 than to G4.

The one and only logical conclusion here is that the G3 addon is in fact a completely standalone project that will not add/fix/improve the original G3 in any way, shape or form.

- On Gothic (3) marketing: Gothic (1-3) is mainstream over here like the Anno (1602 A.D., 1701 A.D. etc.) or The Settlers series or other typically German brands. For example, JoWooD invited the German gaming press to LARP-like events at medieval castles for G3 presentations, held medieval camps for fans, took care of major media (including TV) coverage and so on. Gothic is a HUGE brand over here. The World of Gothic forums got nearly 2 million(!) posts across the various Gothic subforums (and that's excluding the general any topic chat forum which has another almost 900K posts). The JoWooD Gothic forums display a little over 1.3 million posts in the Gothic section. As you can see: Gothic is pretty damned popular in our small part of the world ;) .

I don't follow this as closely as some of you guys but I think the expansion is Genome-powered. The screens look identical and given the assumption that JoWood would not want to re-invent the wheel (and pay for that), it would seem much easier to re-use Genome and all the existing art rather than build large parts from scratch.

I completely agree. I'm sure it's Genome powered, although who's to say the screens that have been released are actually from the expansion??

(patch 1.7 will require a restart of the game)

I was really hoping against that. :thumbsdown:

- The expansion will be standalone and the developer has not been announced yet.

Isn't JoWood developing the game? How can it be that it's going to released this year and nobody seems to know who the developer is?

I completely agree. I'm sure it's Genome powered, although who's to say the screens that have been released are actually from the expansion??

I guess we can't be sure but we have received press releases direct from JoWood, so on face value...

@JDR13 - If they don't announce who it is (which they haven't), how are we supposed to know?

Back
Top Bottom