Should I upgrage my EVGA 770 GTX?

There has been all kinds of rumors for months - and it's been incredibly hard to find something trustworthy.

I'm glad to see it's finally here.

The performance is slightly lower than expected, which is not good - and the price is slightly higher than I expected, which makes it worse.

But it's probably still the smartest choice, because of the 6GB ram which is a sweet spot - being very likely useful in the next couple of years, and isn't complete overkill like the Titan X.

Still, it's not quite as clear-cut a choice as I would have liked it to be.

It will be a few months before I can justify the purchase.

It will be a few months before I can justify the purchase.

I have the money now, but I'm going to wait anyways. The performance being lower than expected is one reason, but another is to see what the 3rd-party vendors come up with as far as overclocked versions and improved cooling.

And yeah, it's still a sweet card despite performance not being quite as high as I was hoping for. I see it being the type of card that could last most people a good 3 years.

Yeah, I'm happy with my Witcher 3 experience so I'm set till Fallout 4 or Avadon 3, whichever is most graphically taxing :biggrin:

Unless anyone appeals it, I will nevertheless continue using this thread to post some updates I stumble across.

Today for example PC Gamer posted a interesting article about Intels press conference and their announcement of new CPUs.
http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-finall...-desktop-cpusheres-why-you-shouldnt-buy-them/

I will quote the most interesting parts:
Intel says they should be available in the next 30 to 60 days.
And when they are available, you shouldn’t buy one.
To be more precise, the desktop processors you’ll hear most about, but definitely shouldn’t buy, are the Core i5-5675C and the Core i7-5775C. With Broadwell, Intel has replaced its “K” designation with C to indicate unlocked, overclockable chips.

Why? First, because Skylake will be here in a matter of months. Skylake is Intel’s next processor release, and it represents the bigger “tock” in Intel’s “tick tock” release cycle.

Buying Broadwell now means locking yourself into a soon-to-be-abandoned socket.

The new Broadwell i5-5675C and i7-577C are unlocked, but they’re not build for that overclocking. These aren’t going to be great gaming CPUs. Their real noteworthy improvement comes in Intel’s integrated Iris graphics, but no desktop gaming rig is ever going to run off those graphics when a dedicated graphics card is vastly more powerful.

Skylake doesn't impress me much either if rumored benchmarks are true it will be a hair slower than a 5820k for the flagship 6700.

Guess I'll see what broadwell e brings in first quarter 2016. Wish AMD could put some pressure on Intel.

Some interesting news for those of us who are anticipating the first post-28nm GPUs.
Apparently nVidia has taped out the first Pascal GP100 samples in 16nm FinFET+.
Release is now expected to happen in the (late) second quarter of 2016.

The report states that the gaming edition of the GP100 will be limited to 16GB of vRAM (which frankly is pretty effing huge considering the current standards. NVLink will also be supported for professional end users. While the node will shift downwards, due to the relative immaturity of the 16nm process I wouldn’t expect chips to exceed 550mm² initially. That means you are looking at around 5000-6000 CUDA cores. With the architecture improvement and and the process upgrade – an improvement of around 50 – 80% is on the cards depending on how well Nvidia handles it. There isn’t a single GPU card in existence that can handle 4K@60fps on its own. First or second generation Pascal however, should most definitely be able to hit the mark with the technological upgrades heading its way.

Basically, mere mortals like me should wait for next year's summer to buy a pair of 980ti and use those two in SLI as the price should go... -33? 50? 77%? :D

@joxer: I guess it pretty much depends on how many are produced and on stock, and how long they produce them. If they just stop making them as soon as the new cards are being produced, you won't have the chance to get any of them in a sale.

I mean try to get a GTX 780 or 790 today.

Not a chance.
I have 760 in my rig and while I can't pull out everything ultra in TW3, I see no real reason to buy any other card as it allows max in everything (except in AC:Unity, but that's not about the card but about nonexisting Ubi code optimization).

What I meant was literlaly "Check your vendor if they still sell these cards". ;)
I checked two of the biggest german retailers and they don't have them anymore because they are already phased out. So the question is, what was the cheapest price you were able to buy a GTX 780 for?

And what will be the cheapest price you will get a 980 TI for, before it's phased out? I doub't it will ever be cheap.

Not a chance.
I have 760 in my rig and while I can't pull out everything ultra in TW3, I see no real reason to buy any other card as it allows max in everything (except in AC:Unity, but that's not about the card but about nonexisting Ubi code optimization).

Yeah, to be honest, the ultra settings don't add that much. The beauty of W3 isn't really in the details.

Yeah, to be honest, the ultra settings don't add that much. The beauty of W3 isn't really in the details.

Very true. There are significant differences between the Low, Medium, and High settings, but the change from High to Ultra is subtle at best.

Y'know... Something bugs me.
Whe'z vurt lately?

Y'know… Something bugs me.
Whe'z vurt lately?

Probably playing W3 - and hopefully preparing to mod the foliage, which is a bit billboard-like.

Huh?
Why fixing what doesn't need fixing?
How about fixing foliage in GTA 1-5? :D

And there are some news from the Intel CPU Front.
Source: http://benchlife.info/intel-skylake...ase-z170-and-6700k-6600k-in-aug-5th-07062015/

According to that, on GamesCom (5th of August) we will see the Skylake CPUs named Core i7 6700K and Core i5 6600K which will be available in Stores at the same time.
Other ones will come a month later, but the K versions are actually the ones you should consider for gaming.

From somewhere (sorry I closed tab before copying the link):
Both will have 95 Watt TDP, which is higher than standard TDP and it may require third-party thermal solutions.

Not interested. :D

Dunno what to say. i7-6700K preorder price of $400 is not abnormally high. Then again, I'd never buy i7 for gaming. Too much of cash difference for no significant performance jump.

Performance in games.
Based on this, I should upgrade my current CPU:
http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_4670k-26-vs-intel_core_i7_6700k-518

But in reality, current games won't care for any of these hyperthreading benchmarks. ;)
Also don't forget, upcoming DX12 is supposed to make use of integrated GPU which will make, hopefully, my and others' "old" processor more interesting for gaming than this new i7. Assuming that presample is not very different from the actual product.

I'll certainly upgrade in 2-3 years when software does improve significantly with DDR4 and etc, but not now.

Last edited:
Well, at my local retailer, the i7 4790K, 4 Ghz is currently available at €374,90, so it's not really that much of a difference.

And as the article says:
Even though prices aren't considerably higher than the Haswells, it’s also important to remember that the market prices are usually higher in pre-order state and will most likely go down when the actual CPUs will be released.

So overall in Winter you might actually pay less to get more.

Back
Top Bottom