Daggerfall - Released for Free

Yes.... that's exactly what I mean. Daggerfall didn't have that out of the box?

Are you sure you're not thinking of Arena?

I am pretty sure Daggerfall had mouselook out of the box, and you could switch around between the two modes. They might have changed the default in the patch, I guess.

Yep, mouselook with vanilla out-of-the-box Daggerfall. In the first dungeon room you encounter a rat which is at floor level, tilting the viewpoint with the mouse makes the weapon strike the rat otherwise you will miss the strike.

I forgot how hard this game starts out... I keep getting brutalized in the first dungeon. :)

I'm also missing my targets..... a lot. I assume your hit\miss ratio for melee is governed by your Hand to Hand skill?

Agility and whatever weapon skill you have with the weapon you're using I believe.

LOL i heard about it to you could just go to elderscrolls.com and go to downloads.

I also remember always choosing the question that gave me the silver dagger so I didn't have to run like a little girl from that imp in the dungeon.

Are you aware this game is 15 years old? While it certainly doesn't look good, I wouldn't say it looks terrible.
I am but except from the old time's sake factor I see no reason one would like to replay it.

I sound like a graphics w**** but it really does look terrible on my 22inch monitor.

I am but except from the old time's sake factor I see no reason one would like to replay it.

Well, if you never played it there is an opportunity to see a classic ... and if you have, yo get to replay 'for old times sake'.

I don't know...with different scalers it looks pretty damn good for its age. Looking at it now I kind of marvel at the complexities it had for its time.

Gotta say though, some quests are hard when they point to a place on the map and that person isn't there....or...water for swimming in general...

But man, it is fun.

That's the ebony dagger, Rith.

And yes it is 3d mouse view. Rather advanced for it's time, I believe. :)

The convoluted multi-level dungeons I thought were amazingly huge and confusing, and that's a good thing in my book. And the 3d mini-mapper that allows you to zoom, pan, rotate, and make levels transparent while awkward initially is unique in my experience. :)

I sound like a graphics w**** but it really does look terrible on my 22inch monitor.

I assume that back in ye olden days no-one actually had an 22 inch monitor ?

I assume that back in ye olden days no-one actually had an 22 inch monitor ?

Of course we had. I remember very well my comp back then: 4 500Mhz CPU's 1 Gig of memory with another 1 Gb externally connecgted. 8 100 Mb disks, and 2 22 inch CRT's.

And that was my laptop.

That's the ebony dagger, Rith.

And yes it is 3d mouse view. Rather advanced for it's time, I believe. :)

The convoluted multi-level dungeons I thought were amazingly huge and confusing, and that's a good thing in my book. And the 3d mini-mapper that allows you to zoom, pan, rotate, and make levels transparent while awkward initially is unique in my experience. :)

Ebony! I thought it was that, but I was thinking "Hrm...ebony...that's pretty early in the game..maybe it was silver?"

Of course we had. I remember very well my comp back then: 4 500Mhz CPU's 1 Gig of memory with another 1 Gb externally connecgted. 8 100 Mb disks, and 2 22 inch CRT's.

And that was my laptop.

I didn't.

An 14 or 15 Inch was all I could afford.

Even the monitors at university weren't about 20 inches.

Being the good person I am, I must admit that the specification of my old computer wasn't entirely truthful. Actually, it was far from truthful. Actually, some would say I was lying...

I'm sorry.

A friend of mine actually did have a 20 inch CRT monitor which cost him nearly $10k. He was a software dev/programmer, so it was a business expense, but he played DF on it and I was certainly impressed at the time!! :)

Looking at it now I kind of marvel at the complexities it had for its time.

I always wonder about what Daggerfall could have been if the devs hadn't gotten so over-ambitious with the project. If the landscape had been smaller but more customized, it would have been sooo much better imo.

Did you know that Morrowind is less than 1% the size of Daggerfall?!?

Ebony! I thought it was that, but I was thinking "Hrm...ebony...that's pretty early in the game..maybe it was silver?"

Silver will also do the job against Imps, I just killed one with a silver staff.:)

A friend of mine actually did have a 20 inch CRT monitor which cost him nearly $10k. He was a software dev/programmer, so it was a business expense, but he played DF on it and I was certainly impressed at the time!! :)

I had a 17" high end monitor on my last full-time desktop PC around that time ... and between the PC and monitor it was still close to $10k ... insane ...

Back
Top Bottom