What games are you playing now?

FFXV wherein the leader of a kingdom at war takes a camping holiday to hone his fishing skills. Are all the Final Fantasy games this surreal?

So I finaly had some time to start a playthrough of Kingmaker.

I can't believe I've waited so long to play that game. It's superb!
Any thoughts about it's timers? :D
FFXV wherein the leader of a kingdom at war takes a camping holiday to hone his fishing skills. Are all the Final Fantasy games this surreal?
Those I've played, all have surreal parts, more or less.
Sadly, there are also idiotic (trash) parts, for example anything chocobo related.

So I finaly had some time to start a playthrough of Kingmaker.

I spent 2 hours on the character creation, finished the tutorial and… restasted a new game. Lol.

The general feeling I got is: it's like home.
I can't believe I've waited so long to play that game. It's superb!

Grats! Best RPG I've played since BG. It gets better all throughout, in my opinion; it always has you learning something new about the game. Very expansive in scope, very gratifying.

Any thoughts about it's timers? :D
Too soon to have an opinion, but I generally don't dislike them too much.
I don't know how to put it, really, except they helped make me feel the micro universe I'm evolving in really exists..?

Grats! Best RPG I've played since BG. It gets better all throughout, in my opinion; it always has you learning something new about the game. Very expansive in scope, very gratifying.
Are the DLC good?

Are the DLC good?
Two are mediocre and the third one is rng rubbish. Not even close to the vanilla game quality, feel as if were outsourced to some amateurs.

Are the DLC good?

The Tiefling DLC adds a worthwhile companion/quest to the game as well as the kineticist class… which is REALLY WEIRD! It's powerful but plays very differently from other classes.

Beneath the Stolen Lands is a LOT of fun - but I am a big fan of dungeon crawls. The game limits you to exploring only one section at a time per game chapter so as to both limit your leveling and allow the dungeon to throw big, non-scaled nasties at you later on. Should you play it in Rogue-like mode, I recommend you do so *after* completing the main campaign so as not to spoil yourself with a lot of the unique items it sprinkles within. Really good for testing different character builds.

Varnhold's Lot
I have yet to play, plan to do so on my second playthrough.

Whether or not you buy these, be sure to opt into the free Arcane Unleashed DLC as it adds quite a few spells for your more studious characters.

The Tiefling DLC adds a worthwhile companion/quest to the game (...)
Wait, you mean the fire mage encountered during the tuto? I have to pay to unlock her?
I will never buy that DLC :mad:

(...) as well as the kineticist class… which is REALLY WEIRD! It's powerful but plays very differently from other classes.
I'm gonna buy that DLC immediatly :lol:

I played Legends of Amberland when the dev came in and promoted his project. It is a Might and Magic re-imagining, with MM3 being the primary motivation it seems. It looks absolutely horrible on a modern monitor, but the game has a certain nostalgia feel about it that kept me going for several hours.

So 7 member party with 3 frontliners, 2 flankers, and 2 support in back. There are some interesting class/race mixes and the whole creation setup is satisfying. Early game is massively fun and will remind you of the games of yore.

Where the game starts to fail is in the mid-game and on. Each melee class has a whole ONE special attack they use daily. Once that is used all other combats consist of pressing ONE key for melee combat. That's it.

Classes that mix melee and magic have many more options but still ONE special attack a day. Other than the ONE, you get to pick whether you want to do cold, fire, electric, etc. However, as far as I can tell, monsters have no specific weaknesses in general. A fire dragon may be somewhat immune to fire, but 99% of monsters just have hit points and AC and it doesn't matter which spell you use.

Also, armor and weapons are much more streamlined than even mm3. I'd say there might be 300 different items in the whole game compared to a nearly limitless number in Might and Magic games. Remember all the adjectives when finding a weapon in MM3 and the constant switching of weapons and armor? This is severely restricted in LoA and I couldn't figure out why. It's like the developer got bored and said "good enough" after an hour or two of making items.

By level 20, which is midway roughly, I had used the same gear for hours. There is a half-assed effort to add crystals as a special treasure resource and a quarter-assed effort to make some special attribute potions, but this was very poorly done.

Okay, would I buy it again? Yes, but probably at a 50% sale as the game only felt half done compared to MM3. If the Developer continues to work on this game, I'd say he should really focus hard on mid-late game gear and making it epic. I must have found 3000 fire resist items and almost no new weapons/armor past level 15.

One final note: This was a very fun game in the early sections. It just needs fleshing out. I would love to see an Amberland II where the dev massively expands all the concepts of the first game and implements way more of the stuff from MM3. Magic Wells, Statues, map skils like mountaineering, mild puzzle dungeons, hundreds more adjectives for loot, et al.

Last edited:
Once I got bored of LoA above, I installed MM6. Playing that now. Probably don't need to describe that game :) I don't use the Shrine of the Gods/NWC headquarters exploit. I like to play it straight.

I just finished a PS4 Return to Arkham playthrough of Batman: Arkham Asylum. In essentially one sitting.

It's still the best Batman game ever made, hands down.

I've also been playing through Tales of Berseria on the PS4. Like every other Tales game I've played, it's fun, fast paced, but a bit on the easy side. It's a hell of a lot darker than the other Tales games I've played though. Outside of replaying Arkham Asylum today, it's pretty much been holding all my gaming attention for the past few weeks.

Yakuza, Yakuza and more Yakuza. Really into the series now. I finished 0 last month, played through Kiwami 1, and now am in the middle of Kiwami 2.

Yakuza, Yakuza and more Yakuza. Really into the series now. I finished 0 last month, played through Kiwami 1, and now am in the middle of Kiwami 2.
What do you think about the turn-based combats for the next one?

What do you think about the turn-based combats for the next one?

I don't know! It's a very interesting choice, that's for sure. I'm open-minded about it. I've watched a tiny bit of gameplay and there's more constant movement than I'd expect from turn-based.... not sure how it works. I'll probably play 3-6 and Judgement before I play 7, so I'll have plenty of time to hear how well it's going over.

I actually never play any Yakuza games, always wanted to do the all saga but the time investment seems too great.
Yakuza 7 look like a departure from the saga (new characters) so I was thinking of starting with this one, but I too am not sure about the turn based combats.
I kind of liked the idea of a playing a "narrative beat'em up"...

The last Yakuza is not available on PC.
It's new MC, and the game is now turnbased.

Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 are not available on PC either.

I'm replaying Ember. I've played this 3 times now and enjoy it each time. I never finish the game, but I get quite a few hours in to it before it gets too repetitive.

Playing Divinity: Original Sin. I'm going to try to actually finish it this time. About 8 hours in, and I'm enjoying it enough, but Cyseal starts out so slow. I've literally only fought 3 battles so far.

Also tried Doom Eternal for a bit. Maybe it's just my mood, but it didn't grab me the way the last game did. I'm going to put it aside for now and go back to it after D:OS.

I'm dipping in and out of a few games at the moment, trying to get into a groove in this bizarre time:

- Avernum IV: I've finished the previous three games via the remakes, so felt it was about time I regressed somewhat and had a look at the next in the series. There's an easy familiarity with playing it but the open nature of the exploration and the party based, turn based goodness keeps me coming back. I'm progressing slowly; just finished the Formello quests and are heading for the Castle at around 14 hours.

- Bard's Tale IV: Directors Cut
I've put this off for a long time; still struggling to really get into it. 10 hours and still no full party in sight. The forced NPC at the beginning of the Kylearan's Tower quest left a pretty foul taste. I like the combat from Lords of Xulima much more at this point; which is probably the closest comparison I can make.

- Dig Dug: Practising in order to go for a high score at a bar; although it may be awhile until I get to go for it, if at all. A fun game to learn, although I even like the related Mr Do! even more.

- Ms Pacman. This golden age classic makes me wish I was a bit older in order to have experienced it properly back in the day. I've only come at it much later and certainly find its great purity of gameplay very addicting. My goal at this point is to finally hit 100 k and reach the illustrious Junior boards (stage 10).

I have been playing pathfinder for the past month now. On top of that I played some Cs go with some friends yesterday as we're all in lock down and I installed paper sorcerer if I get small times to play.

I'll probably finish pathfinder by end of April...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It is interesting to note that many of us are dabbling in more than one game at a time. I know when an AAA title comes out everybody focuses but we really haven't had a big crpg in quite a while. In the last 30 days I've played:
MM6
MM7
MM8
Ember
Legends of Amberland
StoneShard
War of Souls? Um that weird Ellis game...

This is really rare for me. I also haven't touched a survival type since No Man's Sky if you count that.

Back
Top Bottom