|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

November 30th, 2017, 14:11
I've been meaning to give Jade Empire another shot, too.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

November 30th, 2017, 14:57
I played Jade Empire years ago and thought it was fine (though the combat and controls were a little wonky). However, having said that I'm finding a lot of older games just don't match up to the best modern games. I believe things have truely improve in all areas over the years (though there are still a lot of crappy games release frequently - whether they be aaa or indie).

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

November 30th, 2017, 16:38
I'm finishing up How to Survive and have started looking at How to Survive 2. The graphics are a nice bump but I haven't messed with it much yet. Has anyone else played this one?
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

December 1st, 2017, 07:15
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this. I started it twice but could not continue due to the lacking story, boring conversations and focus on interactions. I like the theme and would like to start again if I know it gets better later.
Will post the impression once I'm done with JE
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, The Aielund Saga, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

December 1st, 2017, 18:01
Trying to reduce my massive Steam backlog. Currently I’m working through Wasteland 2 DC. I’ve started this one a few times since release but each time I seem to lose interest or get distracted by some other shinier game after I get to California. Just got to California again last night and am determined to see it through this time around! Wish me luck!

Heckle

Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 1st, 2017, 19:43
Bought Jade Empire this year to play for the first time myself. Definitely has some great elements, but like others I just found it too old & clunky to play for more than a few chapters.

Trouble is with games like those, is that they've been done so much better since (KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc.)
--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Falksi

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2017, 13:56
Still playing AC:O - and I think it's getting better and better. Definitely the best open world Ubisoft game I've played, so far.

It's a combination of the best elements of almost every modern open world game - including games like Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

The story is engaging, too.

It's like Witcher 3 with better exploration, combat, loot and progression at this point. I'd also say that Alexandria is among the most impressive locations in any game - rivaling Novigrad and the like.

I'll have to see if it keeps up being this good, but so far so good.

NewDArt

December 2nd, 2017, 14:27
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Still playing AC:O - and I think it's getting better and better. Definitely the best open world Ubisoft game I've played, so far.

It's a combination of the best elements of almost every modern open world game - including games like Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

The story is engaging, too.

It's like Witcher 3 with better exploration, combat, loot and progression at this point. I'd also say that Alexandria is among the most impressive locations in any game - rivaling Novigrad and the like.

I'll have to see if it keeps up being this good, but so far so good.
I put this on hold for bit but after hearing that I will need to start it again! Btw are you having CPU issues on PC? Does it run well?

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2017, 14:54
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I put this on hold for bit but after hearing that I will need to start it again! Btw are you having CPU issues on PC? Does it run well?
It runs very smooth 99% of the time on max settings - but there is the occasional stutter here and there - and the most demanding areas, like Alexandria, do suffer some drops in frame rate - but it's pretty minimal overall.

I do have a decent setup, though (1080ti GPU) - and my hardware is being pushed to its limits by the game.

NewDArt

December 2nd, 2017, 17:15
Originally Posted by Falksi View Post
Bought Jade Empire this year to play for the first time myself. Definitely has some great elements, but like others I just found it too old & clunky to play for more than a few chapters.

Trouble is with games like those, is that they've been done so much better since (KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc.)
For then record, Jade Empire released after KOTOR and only one year before Mass Effect.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

December 2nd, 2017, 21:16
I'm trying the Destiny 2 trial. Pew pew

EDit: this is one slick mofo of a game. Alas, I'll have to wait until it's more affordable.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us
Last edited by Shagnak; December 2nd, 2017 at 22:11.

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

December 2nd, 2017, 22:36
After a long off-period I recently got a craving for Bloodborne, so I started a new game. Man, this is one amazing game. Smash-your-head-against-the-wall difficulty, which makes the reward that much more fulfilling when you actually get over it, fast-paced and very rewarding gameplay (combat and exploration) and an amazing Lovecraftian story and world. Just perfect. The only thing that could make this even better would be if it ran on a PC. But whatever.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2017, 23:44
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
The only thing that could make this even better would be if it ran on a PC.
Some games should stay away from PC.
I'm not saying all Dark Souls clones, but that one definetly should.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2017, 00:08
does it have much of a single player campaign or is it mostly mp ?

Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
I'm trying the Destiny 2 trial. Pew pew

EDit: this is one slick mofo of a game. Alas, I'll have to wait until it's more affordable.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 3rd, 2017, 00:27
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Some games should stay away from PC.
I'm not saying all Dark Souls clones, but that one definetly should.
I'd definitely not call Bloodborne a Dark Souls clone. It's improved upon the DS formula in every way possible (imo of course). Especially story, lore and setting. It maintains the obtuse and weird storytelling of DS games, but much more coherent and consistent thematically. It's basically a cosmic-horror homage to Lovecraft. I'd in a pinch choose to have Bloodborne on PC instead of Dark Souls. It would be a real shame if Sony would not push for a Bloodborne 2.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2017, 10:59
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
For then record, Jade Empire released after KOTOR and only one year before Mass Effect.
Fair play, the other games did that style of RPG far better IMO though. Timeline aside, there's better examples of that same Bioware RPG setup to play.
--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Falksi

Sentinel

December 3rd, 2017, 11:27
About 5-6 hours in Jade Empire. Things get definitely more interesting from chapter 2 but I'm still finding it very underwhelming - partly because I see the same elements from KotOR, Mass Effect and even DA:O. Basically, experienced all those things before kinda feeling and I'm not finding the setting particularly interesting or well fleshed out.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, The Aielund Saga, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

December 4th, 2017, 11:20
It runs very smooth 99% of the time on max settings - but there is the occasional stutter here and there - and the most demanding areas, like Alexandria, do suffer some drops in frame rate - but it's pretty minimal overall.

I do have a decent setup, though (1080ti GPU) - and my hardware is being pushed to its limits by the game.
I started it again on PS4 as my brother has finished it. The gaming look absolutely amazing! Its uo there with HZD and I have to say it, I like the look of this game more so than Witcher 3 (which is an old game now). I ran the game on my 980ti on my PC with max possible settings and the PS4 Pro holds up! You really have to look deep on the PC to see the some better effects.

lostforever

SasqWatch

December 4th, 2017, 11:25
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I started it again on PS4 as my brother has finished it. The gaming look absolutely amazing! Its uo there with HZD and I have to say it, I like the look of this game more so than Witcher 3 (which is an old game now). I ran the game on my 980ti on my PC with max possible settings and the PS4 Pro holds up! You really have to look deep on the PC to see the some better effects.
Well, I find it very, very easy to see the difference between 30 FPS locked and 100+ FPS 0 input latency GSYNC on my 1080ti

That said, it does drop down to ~50-60 in the heaviest areas.

Also, since I use the bow almost exclusively, I wouldn't want to come anywhere near a controller with this game.

NewDArt

December 4th, 2017, 11:46
Well, I find it very, very easy to see the difference between 30 FPS locked and 100+ FPS 0 input latency GSYNC on my 1080ti

That said, it does drop down to ~50-60 in the heaviest areas.

Also, since I use the bow almost exclusively, I wouldn't want to come anywhere near a controller with this game.
Stop showing off

I guess, with PS4, I am on TV and sitting bit far away. Anyway for almost all casual gaming purposes, I think consoles are more than fine in the graphics department.

I want a GSYNC monitor as well but the ultra wide versions costs well over £700+ and I won't trade an ultra wide for normal one any more. Its just so good!

lostforever

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?