Grim Dawn - Early Access on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Grim Dawn is now officially available on Steam Early Access for 10% off.

Now Available on Steam Early Access - Grim Dawn, 10% off!

Grim Dawn is Now Available on Steam Early Access and is 10% off!*

Classic action role-playing from the lead gameplay designer of Titan Quest! Grim Dawn features satisfying combat, strategic character development, frenzied loot collection and quests with choice and consequence.

Grim Dawn is developed by a small indie team of experienced developers, led by the lead gameplay designer of Titan Quest, using an enhanced version of the Titan Quest engine and tools. Please note that this game is still in development.

You can currently play about the first 1/3 of Grim Dawn and up to character level 25, with some additional higher level secret areas to be found beyond the main story content. While content is still in development, the core gameplay is already fairly robust and a lot of fun. There is quite a lot of replay value between trying different classes / builds and collecting items. We're still refining gameplay based on player feedback, adding requested features and working to deliver the remaining content and additional slated features. Most players report that the current build is fairly stable with mostly mild bugs and we're always working to fix bugs as they come up.

We expect the final game will provide about 20-40 hours for a first-time play-through on normal difficulty, depending on level of exploration / clearing. This is our first game as a studio and we intend for Grim Dawn to be a continuing franchise, not just a one-off game. So it is important that we put in the time and effort to create something we're proud of, that will help us to earn a loyal fanbase for the future. We hope you'll come be part of this experience and help us to forge a strong new addition to the ARPG genre.
More information.

My god it is visually impressive, and the feature list is mind blowing.

My question is: what about backers, do we get Steam keys for the early access?

According to the last update backers should have them.
Early access keys now available!

In yesterday's update I mentioned that I'd be posting an update on when people with "beta" level access would be able to play and, well, that time is now!

Early access Steam keys are now available on Humble Store pages for tiers that include beta level access. For information on how to claim your key and download Grim Dawn, please refer to the instructions on our forum. (hopefully I managed to provide the correct URL this time)…

Very excited to see a new wave of players experiencing the game for the first time and can't wait to hear your feedback!

Thanks Couch.

So backers without the beta access option can't access the game and complete strangers can now buy the game? Just have to wait longer I guess.

I have had access (to an alpha build I believe) through steam for a couple of months. I must admit I only played it for 30 or so minutes. I'm not the beta tester type so I'll wait for final release before digging in deeper. It seemed pretty polished at the time but not really mind blowing either.

I too have been playing it on steam for the last couple of weeks and it is like Titan Quest on steroids if you are a big fan of TQ than this is a game you will want to have a look at. Unfortunately this is only act 1 of 3 so while I have played all the classes to around level 12 I don't want to get all ramped up then have to wait for the rest of the content. Time lines look like 8+ months to final build so while it is a lot of fun I know I will wait until it is finished, wth its already been 3 years another few months won't kill me.

@ Spoon if you bought in at the $32+ level then you should have access but if you only supported at the $20 level then you get the game when it is done.

Good news. I am really looking forward to this game.

Thanks Terry. Being a cheap SpoonFULL comes at the price of waiting :(.

I'm confused.

I didn't back but I can get access for $26 but Spoonfull cant get access because he did back it, but only for $20 and not $32+.

So now if Spoonful wants access he has to buy another copy at $26?

Surely that can't be right? Seems that would actually punish people for backing.

I guess in their defense, higher tiers offered Beta access which has many forms including 'Steam's early access' which I did not pay for - I only paid for the early backer (cheapest) tier.

I personally prefer to get the whole game rather than a 1/3rd of it later on.

I would also hope that they will add local co-op (as indicated on the Steam page) to play with my son.

The feature list doesn't sound all that different from Titan Quest, apart from the faction system. Hopefully the subtle changes make all the difference. Not that Titan Quest was bad, but I'm not sure I feel like playing a reskinned version.

@ Spoon if you bought in at the $32+ level then you should have access but if you only supported at the $20 level then you get the game when it is done.

Really? I bought in at the $32 tier because I wanted an extra copy for a friend. Now I want to try the beta…hmmm, I guess I'll have to find out about keys.

EDIT: It appears that you don't actually get early access at the $32 tier. Bummer.

Last edited:
I was referring to the pre-kickstarter support levels which I believe were $18-20 for final game $32-35 for beta and $45+ for alpha. I did not do the ks on this one as I had already backed so there may have been other levels and other rewards. It's been so long since I backed that I don't remember clearly the exact numbers hence the range and + on my guestimates. It will be a while before MP will be in the game so if that was a major motivator you would still be waiting.
I am not sure if I am a big fan of the whole work in progress release on steam, but if it gets Crate more $$$ to make a better finished product in the end then I will wait for the final better product. I heard somewhere patience is a virtue :)

I was referring to the pre-kickstarter support levels which I believe were $18-20 for final game $32-35 for beta and $45+ for alpha. I did not do the ks on this one as I had already backed so there may have been other levels and other rewards. It's been so long since I backed that I don't remember clearly the exact numbers hence the range and + on my guestimates. It will be a while before MP will be in the game so if that was a major motivator you would still be waiting.
I am not sure if I am a big fan of the whole work in progress release on steam, but if it gets Crate more $$$ to make a better finished product in the end then I will wait for the final better product. I heard somewhere patience is a virtue :)

So you just said the number on the off chance you might be right?
Yup, THE INTERNET. LOL

So you just said the number on the off chance you might be right?
Yup, THE INTERNET. LOL

No, he knew the numbers from the pre support and assumed it was the same for the Kickstarter, which it wasn't. Still a logical and perfectly reasonable assumption.

I too have been playing it on steam for the last couple of weeks and it is like Titan Quest on steroids if you are a big fan of TQ than this is a game you will want to have a look at.

Which is exactly what I wanted and expected out of this. Excellent.

I bought it yesterday from steam and played for a few hours.

Having great fun...

My first impression: Whoever likes Titan Quest or Sacred will also love this...

Back
Top Bottom